Does anyone do "No Spend Days" (NSD)??

I never understand how my sister affords to smoke especially seeing that they're £8 a pack!! She often moans she hasn't got any money at all and is a lot of debt. She goes without food to smoke. I will never understand!!

I don't consciously set out to do NSDs but during the week they pretty much all are anyway. I do my shopping on a Sunday morning after having planned my weekly menu so i always shop to a list,. Then during the week I take my breakfast and lunch to work with me every day, I have a fruit bowl on my desk and a snack stash in my drawer. Teas, coffee and drinks are all made in-house so no popping out for a latte even though I am based in the city centre. I take the bus to work in the morning but have a pass, and walk home in the evening but there is no temptation to shop en-route. Most days I don't even take my purse to work with me so even if I was tempted, I wouldn't be able to anyway. I get the Metro on the bus so no buying a newspaper and any magazine I read, I get on subscription as you usually get a better price and they are delivered straight to the door. :)

I don't spend any money during week on work days either. Today I put some stuff back while doing the shop as I felt it wasn't needed this week so no need to buy it. In hindsight if its on offer I prob should have but I find that's when I end up with stuff in cupboards I don't really need.
I do get a buzz not spending

Well i was so happy i had a no spend day yesterday as i didn't take my purse with me and then we ordered a pizza, so i failed on my nsd AND on sw....sheesh...am very p***** with myself this morning :(

Youi guys are doing fab, i love that people still get a buzz outta saving in this day and age :) xx

I'm going to have to have a LOT if no spend days this next couple of weeks/months as having to have 2 weeks off sick last month just on ssp meant I lost almost £600! Got a skiing holiday to pay for, balance due end of this month but fortunately my bfs brother booked it on his credit card and he has allowed me to take a bit longer to clear what I owe, as long as I pay the interest. Have worked out I should be able to pay 75% of it on the due date and be able to have the rest 3 weeks later but that's leaving me with about £15 a week to myself. Hopefully I can do it as I have no real need to spend on weekdays, its just sw once a week and money towards shopping etc so should be fine! Can feel the belt tightening already!

I'm going to have to have a LOT if no spend days this next couple of weeks/months as having to have 2 weeks off sick last month just on ssp meant I lost almost £600! Got a skiing holiday to pay for, balance due end of this month but fortunately my bfs brother booked it on his credit card and he has allowed me to take a bit longer to clear what I owe, as long as I pay the interest. Have worked out I should be able to pay 75% of it on the due date and be able to have the rest 3 weeks later but that's leaving me with about £15 a week to myself. Hopefully I can do it as I have no real need to spend on weekdays, its just sw once a week and money towards shopping etc so should be fine! Can feel the belt tightening already!

Tight yes but you get a cool skiing trip out of it (i presume thats fun lol, i'm dangerous in shoes lol let alone ski's!)
I definately find it helpful to see why i'm being so skint, so a holiday is a perfect example. Especially when so many folk struggle day to day.

I feel so guilty frittering money away when there are our vets homeless on the streets, and old people dying because they can't afford to put the heating on...

Sorry guys, guess i'm on a downer with myself today, so i shall bid you adu! :) xx

pixie-gem said:
Tight yes but you get a cool skiing trip out of it (i presume thats fun lol, i'm dangerous in shoes lol let alone ski's!)
I definately find it helpful to see why i'm being so skint, so a holiday is a perfect example. Especially when so many folk struggle day to day.

I feel so guilty frittering money away when there are our vets homeless on the streets, and old people dying because they can't afford to put the heating on...

Sorry guys, guess i'm on a downer with myself today, so i shall bid you adu! :) xx

Haha yes its great fun, only been once before and there's a big group of us going for bfs brothers 30th in Jan. Can't wait! Yes def easier when you know there's a good reason.
I always budget to give money to charity too as although we aren't loaded, we are lucky that we can live without worrying where the rent or the next meal is coming from and I know there are far too many people out there for whom even having a roof over their heads to rent would be a dream come true I couldn't live with my conciense if I didn't give a bit back as and when I can x

Wow, people are doing so well at this!! WELL DONE! I have failed every day miserably! We spent loads of money yesterday... got my son a bike which was £80, went to asda for some veg for tea that was nearly £4, got some pencil crayons from staples which were £2.50, went to Home Bargains and spent about £8 i think. then in the evening my OH went to Tescos (he hates xfactor so always goes out when its on to a friends house who lives across the road from a Tesco) and I dont know how much he spent but he got the kids a DVD, some popcorn, got himself some crisps and biscuits and he got a bucket with loads of car washing stuff in it.
Today we will need to go to Asda to get fruit, potatoes (forgot these yesterday) and food for the kids packed lunches for the week.

I am so glad I came upon this thread I need to start having nsds... Kev and I live on a really tight budget, he doesn't get much pay because we live rent and bill free above the pub, I work part time at Sainsburys... Which is. where the problem lies, I tend to buy something every day I am in work, and most of the time we don't need it... I will see something on offer and pick it up... Now I have read through this I will start making an effort to have at least two a week... Thanks for the inspiration...x

Doing fairly badly on this today. I may as well have burnt my money :( £30 for oil for the car, 2 costa coffee & paninis - £10!

Roll on tomorrow!

Another NSD for me.:)

Went for a 10 mile walk but left the purse at home and as I hadn't eaten any breakfast put a banana in my bag just in case I needed something.

Usually I would take my purse and stop in town to buy a cuppa for me and a coffee for OH and visit Tesco but no we came home and had a drink.:)

Wow!! You are rocking this :D

In fact everyone is doing great. I had a nsd yesterday but no such luck today, and tomorrow I'm travelling up to Worcester to see my bro is hospital which def won't be a nsd but Tuesday and Wednesday will be cos I'll have run out of money lol :)

I once kept all my receipts and discovered I spent over £60 a month on lunches!!!
i used to buy heinz beans at around 50p a tin we go through at least 3 tins a week so thats £78 a year ON BLOOMING BEANS i switched to cheap beans at 25p a tin so 75p a week £39 a yr that saves me £39 quid if i save that just on beans it made me look at everything else and our shopping bill is v low now 39 a year may not sound like much but if a number of items in my trolley can save me that a year it all adds up

I do! I am new to these forumns but spend a lot of time on the money-saving-expert ones :) try to have a lot of NSDs! It can be hard when you have to follow a specific meal plan with fresh fruit & veg but I try to be savvy with offers and shopping at ALDI. Would be nice to combine moneysaving and weight loss!

i too love aldi i make tasty cheap meals to save on my food bill egg and sw chips corned beef hash stews etc

I'm a bit jealous that you all manage these NSD's, I am to try sooo hard tomorrow to do this.
I'm going to take my breakfast and lunch to work, I'm going to use the water machine at work instead of getting diet coke from the vending machine and I'm going to make sure I remember to take my green tea so I don't need to buy some from the cafe. Here goes....

I'm a bit jealous that you all manage these NSD's, I am to try sooo hard tomorrow to do this.
I'm going to take my breakfast and lunch to work, I'm going to use the water machine at work instead of getting diet coke from the vending machine and I'm going to make sure I remember to take my green tea so I don't need to buy some from the cafe. Here goes....

Good luck! It does get a tad addictive (or maybe i'm just sad lol :) )

Good luck! It does get a tad addictive (or maybe i'm just sad lol :) )

I could do with it being an addiction to be honest, we spend wayyy too much and if we have quite a bit of money left at the end of the month we never save it, we just spend it. It's rediculous really and quite embarrassing, I have a good job and my OH has his own business, we are only 27 years old and we consider ourselves lucky for our age. My friends can't believe how much we spend. But I just think... the only debt we have is a mortgage and we work hard for our money, why shouldnt we spend it. We now have an aim though, we would like to buy a second house to rent out and then when were old we can leave the children a house each.... that not gonna happen if we carry on spending!

Back