Green Days Does anyone else comfort eat?

L.i.n.d.a

Fatgirlwannabeslim
Its always attached to stresses in life, being unemployed, depressed, and i know there are free foods that can be comfort food. So what is stopping me from doing sw. I would love to hear stories from you as to how you overcame or are managing adversity..*

I am a massive comfort eater. I eat when Im happy and I eat when Im sad! To be honest I have still not overcome it totally but I try and find other things to do or put in my mouth (sugar free gum etc) Its an ongoing battle and I have to have masses of self control! Sigh :(

I was (and am) a comfort/boredom eater - and being unemployed at moment doesn't help. I always though try to keep cheap fruit in the house when money allows (and when i find bargins - 21p for a bag of small oranges and 20p a pineapple at the tesco near to where i weigh in last Monday).

but my need to comfort eat has reduced since loosing the weight - it has to be said.

I too am a comfort eater only last night had an argument with my oh and ate 2 of my granddaughters fun size milky ways before I realised it luckily though pulled myself back before I ate the pack and so not too much damage but i've ruined many a diet by doing it and then giving in, this time though I'm trying hard to stick with it my strategy so far is to keep as many syns as I can until the evening then if I get through the day and something happens to upset me I have some damage control at least

Thankyou all for sharing your thoughts...food can be an addiction, but we all have to eat!!...perhaps in my case, if my life situ improves, i wont feel the need so much...i wish you all well too*

I most definately am an emotional/bordom eater and I am struggling to really get to the root of this. I am thinking of trying to journal just to see if I can work out a pattern. Hope you can conquer your demons too x

I used to (mostly bread and chocolate) but then when I tried SW, something happened and I stopped. I don't know what happened or when because I realised it after stopping SW due to not losing. This has stayed with me (thanks SW! :)) and I don't comfort eat any more, nor really like chocolate! Bread is a different story, I kinda have to stay away from it but I'm sure you can overcome comfort eating :) I did and believe me, I was a huuuuge comfort eater x

im the very same lately and maybe with the weather i cant stop eating junk. im trying hard to stop it but its very hard has anyone any suggestions for a really low fat take away ideas

I used to be a terrible comfort eater and still would be if I let myself, but now I can see myself shaping up a bit I don't want to ruin all my hard work. So I try to have something within my syns or a satsuma or muller instead :)

I eat when I'm happy/sad/celebrating/commiserating... the list goes on...

The only time I dont comfort myself with food is when I've had an argument with someone i.e. hubby or family, I dont know whats different then but I never want to eat.

I'm not sure this ever goes away, you just learn how to cope more and almost 'train' yourself not to reach for food straightaway. Its a long road.

Mirrakel said:
I eat when I'm happy/sad/celebrating/commiserating... the list goes on...

The only time I dont comfort myself with food is when I've had an argument with someone i.e. hubby or family, I dont know whats different then but I never want to eat.

I'm not sure this ever goes away, you just learn how to cope more and almost 'train' yourself not to reach for food straightaway. Its a long road.

You're completely right, i don't think it ever does go away.

I have been a terrible emotional eater and binge eater. I have managed to stay on plan for 21 weeks and I'm 2lbs away from target. It's been hard trying to ignore those nagging voices in my head!

I'm so close to target now to through it all away. That said when i do get to target I have vowed to still go to class to keep me in the straight and narrow

I have to admit, I'm not so much a comfort eater, but I do comfort drink which is a terrible habit to have. I don't want to go out and drink, but just want to hide myself away at home with a bottle or two of wine.

Been doing rather a lot of that the last few weeks, and was determined that this week I'd pull myself together and not have any wine during the week - think that may be helped with me feeling so poo health wise today! Then I will treat myself to a couple of bottles of wine at the weekend if I'm feeling better.

I find it so hard to tell people that I'm feeling down, or that they've upset me, or whatever so I reach for food that's doughy like bread,doughnuts,hot dogs, and eat them so that they push the pain down. A bit like when a tablet gets stuck so you have a piece of bread to push it down.
Then sometimes I need to eat till all I can do is sleep.

You know what? I think I need therapy!

Also guilty of this!! Sometimes I don't even realise. Sometimes I do and I am 100% aware that I am self-medicating with food. I think a lot of people do this.

Back