Does anyone else get this?

jellyfish81

Earlier this yr I started SW and a few work colleagues knew. One of them also decided to join (after i had basically given up and didn't go to the meetings) and everytime she saw me eat it was 'oh tut tut, how many syns is in that' type chat. i didn't care because i wasn't on the program then. She however was doing very well and i did congratulate her on her weekly loses.

now i've rejoined and losing good losses i'm getting some snide comments like 'oh there's miss healthy' when i sit down with fruit at tea break...or 'bet you're wondering what else you could eat'

some ppl are saying that i'm taking it the wrong way but it's not being said with encouragement, it's being said to get at me.

anyone else get this?:rolleyes:

I don't, but because I'm a perverse sort I would agree with her and beam like it's the biggest compliment!

Then she's got two choices, to keep on which if she is trying to be nasty will kill her because you are taking it as a compliment, or to get nastier which will make HER look bad!

Once i had someone at work say something similar. They got told in no uncertai terms to wind their neck in, and no one has said anything since.

The worst for me was the 'aren't you on a diet? when i ate a bacon sandwich (little wm bread, ex lean bacon). Grr

Ignore them. They are knobs. You are better than them.

i think what doesn't help is at the moment, she doesn't like her group and isn't losing ...however she's not making any effort to eat healthier... cheese/onion marmalade & cracker packs from M&S aren't exactly syn free....but thats mainly what she eats at lunch then complains she doesn't know why she hasnt lost pfft!

I get comments sometimes from colleagues (they dont know im on sw) and one person said woah thats a big plate of food (it was a jacket potato with tuna and a salad!!!?) and the other one was like Wow thats a big bowl of soup. (superfree lol)
Why do some people think they can comment on it!? Honestly, and then when there are chocolate donuts etc going round the office and im eating fruit, they say oh your being very healthy! Does my head it, and Im pretty sure I may have to kill them one day! lol:8855:

Yea that's it exactly. The other week this woman (who's been making the comments) was at a wedding reception with a work colleague and his wife (who'd lost 6lbs and was now at target weight) the whole time through the dinner (until her husband informed her of her loss during the week)

seriously, she just can't see anyone doing better than her at SW....sad,really sad.

About 5 minutes ago someone commented as I walked out of the kitchen with my massive plate of salad, a WM roll and a whole pack of turkey breast chunks. "Oh my god, do you want anymore lunch on your plate?". I just said "I know, there's LOADs isn't there AND I'm losing weight too? Go figure".

Soon shut them up :)

I will never understand why people feel they have the right to comment on this. Its up there with people who think they have the right to ask me when I'll be having kids as things that annoy me. NO ONES BUSINESS! Feck off all your nosey people!!

I will never understand why people feel they have the right to comment on this. Its up there with people who think they have the right to ask me when I'll be having kids as things that annoy me. NO ONES BUSINESS! Feck off all your nosey people!!

i got asked the children thing the other day by a bus driver ive never met before im my life!!! WTF??? my answer of "never i think they are blo*dy horrible" soon shut him up!

i got asked the children thing the other day by a bus driver ive never met before im my life!!! WTF??? my answer of "never i think they are blo*dy horrible" soon shut him up!

Yeah, but then they want to know why you hate them, like you must be mentally ill or something cos babies are lovey aren't they!! I had a recruiter tell me the other day ot remove my age, and my marital status from my CV becuase it would raise 'obvious questions' What obvious questions exactly? Bloody Cheek!

I'd never for one second say to one of my friends with kids - how can you bring children into this world, you can't afford them, it irresponsible etc. Its none of my business!! When did is my reproductive choices become public interest??

Grrr

Questions that shouldn't be asked but are and will from this moment on will be answered by the staple response "p1ss off and mind your own business"
How much do you weigh?
How much do you get paid?
When are you having children?
When are you going to get married?
Why are you 32 and still living at home?
Should you be eating that?
When is your baby due? (unless you are very obviously pregnant in which case it's acceptable!)

now i've rejoined and losing good losses i'm getting some snide comments like 'oh there's miss healthy' when i sit down with fruit at tea break...or 'bet you're wondering what else you could eat'
anyone else get this?:rolleyes:

That would make me want to really rub it in their faces! If someone said "bet you're wondering what else you could eat" in a snide way I'd probably say (in my sweetest voice and with a MASSIVE smile on my face) "yeah, sometimes but I have the strength to make good choices and it's paid off: I've lost xlbs in x weeks."

the baby question - hate that too!
i actually was asked that by a woman who was looking a housemate and i was checking out the house as a prospective tennant. then just out of the blue she asks 'so kids aren't on an agenda for you then?' - i was so taken aback like - er...i'm not even 30, i'm looking for 1 room to share and i'm pretty sure you wouldn't want me having a baby with me to share with!

my goodness theres a lot of anger thru some of these posts lol good reading though!! what about the old saying dont let the xxxxxxxx grind you down...rise above it girles :):):)

I have children and have never been asked, but by the same token I don't ask others! I have a friend who has never wanted children and that's ok it's her choice.

Perhaps some shock tactics are needed.

Shirleen said:
I have children and have never been asked, but by the same token I don't ask others! I have a friend who has never wanted children and that's ok it's her choice.

Perhaps some shock tactics are needed.

I agree Shirleen. Shock tactics sound like a plan. It does make me angry, I don't see why I should be expected to rise above it amy more than I should be expected to rise above people making comments about my weight. It's all about pigeon holing you. I'm a woman therefore I should want kids, if I don't there's something wrong with me, not the random people who think its alright to ask, just like I'm overweight, so somehow it's okay to comment on my weight, make comments about what I eat etc.

You're my new hero(ine):) - feisty and honest, tells it like it is.

So when are you having your........ pmsl.

When I started at 245lb in August last year, I remember replacing crisps, nuts, crackers, cheese etc. with fruit. I also remember the snidey comments from a few people. One sarcastically commented it looked liked i'd lost a few ounces etc. (after I'd lost a stone in the first few weeks) - I determined there and then, destructive people and negative influences were out, eridicated, no-more. Unusually (for me) they didn't get the normal verbal backlash.

Fast forward 9 month from then, the same "lady" commented on how great I looked and how much had I lost. I told her another 16 ounces and it would have been 7st! (it was 97lb at that point) - everyone around literally fell on the floor in hysterics. Of course now that I'm lighter than her, I've lost too much!:cool: and probably anorexic or bulemic!

I discovered the worst or most b1tchy comments came from the jealous brigade. Fortunately, there are many more supportive and positive people.

It was around this time I realised as a bloke myself (I've looked and seen diagrams and that) males can be as catty as females:eek:

Just console yourself that what you're doing is working for you and put the blinkers on and just keep on going, head down until you cross the finishing line. Time to be a little selfish for once. Let the barbs and jibes spur you on even more.

Steve
;)

Just wanted to add that, although I have kids and love them dearly, I am also grateful they're nearly off my hands! I know that makes me a terrible mum, I'm just a bit over it now!

i never want kids, a decision i've had really since i was 18...i'm not maternal and i just don't have that feeling i'll ever want one. dogs - now that's different...maybe because i grew up with a famly who bred dogs and i've no younger siblings...but eitherway, i find it annyoing that people judge my choice.

as for the annoying colleague - thanks folks for the encouraging words!

I've never wanted children either. A few years ago I took my car in for the French equivalent of an MOT. I got chatting with the mechanic - a lovely chap, just about to retire - and he asked me the usual questions about where I lived, what I did for a living, was I married, children etc. When I said I had no children he looked aghast and said (I kid you not) "But you do have normal sexual relations don't you?" I told him it was the car's MOT not mine :D

I do feel that I am expected to justify the fact I don't want children, but would never dream of asking those with children to justify their decision - if, indeed, it was a conscious decision.

Back