does anyone else struggle to get their syns in?

raachel28

Some days I really struggle to eat my syns. I can plod on quite happily without, but my consultant has said I need to have around 10 per day. Does it affect weight loss by having none? I use to use 4 on sugar in drinks, but am now using sweetener. Some days I really can't eat anymore but feel like I NEED to lol

yes you need to have at least 5 syns per day - perhaps make a small change, such as using cooking oil when preparing your meals - a tbsp is 6 syns for example.

If not, please send all your syns to me, i ALWAYS need more!!! haha! x

Heya

I struggle some days too, but I do may a point of having at least 5 a day. Whether thats a tablespoon or 3 of extra light mayo or chilli sauces etc on my food. I also have been known to have an extra alpen light bar to knock it over 5. I do try not to eat choc and crisps as my syns as I know that I wouldnt be satisfied with a small bar/bag and would want to eat the multibag, so after weigh in I have a small bar and a bag of velvet crunch crisps (syned) What about having a syned yog like the muller light cheesecake type ones? which are low synned but not really high? Also if you have had your HEb you could still have wholemeal crispbreads for supper (1 syn each)

Helen xxxx

Hi, thanks for the suggestions, I may have to talk a walk to tesco and stock up on cheesecake yoghurts lol

I do, I have a challenge to eat at least 8 a day this week. What I've done is buy a couple of low synned ready meals to get some syns in (and make life easier), especially as I work full time and am starting a 3 year college course, so will need the odd ready meals then. But have taken to having cadbury light mousse instead of yogurts and the odd pack of crisps.

In a word.... NO!!! I love my syns. They are there for all the little extras and are as much part of a plan as the HEX's and free food.

The other thing I always say is this, if you start to plateau or need a boost you have very little else to cut down on except portion size (and we shouldn't really have to do that).

Syns can easily be incorporated, they don't have to be sweets/choc/crisps/booze but can be olive oil, avocado, nuts, dried fruit, extra cheese... the list is endless.

No! I syn sauces and meat/pots if on red or greens (still cant 'do' EE)

i think that we should have a spare syns pot on here and we should be allowed to dip in when we wish XXX

I have no problems eating my syns at all! Perhaps you could try having some treats so that it doesn't feel like you're dieting? You're more likely to stick with it long term if you indulge a bit in what used to be your poison - whether it was chocs/crisps/cake whatever. Otherwise as others have said look to add in some oil to your cooking/have some extra cheese/dried fruit etc etc. Good luck and get synning! X

i think that we should have a spare syns pot on here and we should be allowed to dip in when we wish XXX

Great idea Tara. I get to dip in first hee hee :D! X

yes, I do.

My first week I only managed to eat about 3 a day, and only lost 1lb. I was told tio increase my syns, so the next week I made sure I had 15 a day, by having an extra dollop of ketchup/mayo or using oil in cooking etc.

And I STS!!!!!!

So, I'm back down to what I'm comfortable eating syn wise and if that means losing 1lb a week then so be it.

I'd say if you're losing weight on fewer syns, then that works for you.

Everyones different.

I'd say if you're losing weight on fewer syns, then that works for you.

Everyones different.

Yes, everyone is different but I still think that they are a part of the plan as much as the other things. Why do people never miss out their healthy extras or free food? Why just the syns? Is it the name I wonder.....

If the parts of the plan where called A, B and C would people not eat C??

I wonder what you will cut down on if and when you ever start to struggle because this is what consultants tell you to do :confused:

sometimes I do miss a healthy extra if I don't want bread etc that day, I won't force myself to eat it.

The SW website does actually say that this is ok to do on occasion, as they would never force people to eat what they don't want to. And also, in fact, that your portion sizes should reduce as you lose weight, particularly if you have a lot to lose.

Hmmm, my portion sizes have never reduced to be honest. That's the reason I love SW and have done it for so long. It caters for my appetite.

It's not about being forced to eat anything, it's about having things to make a healthy balanced diet - eg calcium, fibre, those little extras and all the good free food.

But it's up to you, my personal opinion is that if people miss out syns or HEX's then they are not doing SW properly.

of course, and like you said, it's personal opinion. And for me, I felt terrible the week I ate all of my syns, bloated, sluggish, just awful.
I'm generally very careful with what I eat anyway, and this was just way too much for me. I'm happier, feel better, and lose better, when I keep my syns at a lower level.

As for missing healthy extras, I know thats part of a balanced diet, and for me, it would be once in a blue moon, but, if I didn't want bread one day, I wouldn't force myself. I don't drink milk, so the same goes for cheese. But, it'd be a one off.
We have to be flexible with our diets.

Like I said, everyones different.

I'm averaging about 5-6 a day at the moment, sometimes a couple more, sometimes a couple less.
I feel good on that amount, so for now, I'm happy with that ;-)

I find that the more I plan my meals, the harder it is to fit syns in - I tend to use my syns on proper naughties - alcohol, chocolate, eating out - but am definitely an all or nothing person. Most days I could easily manage with just one or two syns, but once I've had a taste of something high syn I can easily blow 30 in a day!

I do keep track though, so my days with loads of syns balance out those with low syns. I know some people struggle to get the same losses if they do weekly rather than daily syns, but I seem to be doing ok.

If you're struggling to get your syns in, why don't you allow yourself a treat night - get a takeaway or have a few glasses of wine once a week?

Yes, everyone is different but I still think that they are a part of the plan as much as the other things. Why do people never miss out their healthy extras or free food? Why just the syns? Is it the name I wonder.....

If the parts of the plan where called A, B and C would people not eat C??

This is a really good point...! My friend told me yesterday that he was cutting back on his Hex measurements to get a better loss and I thought he was mad, yet if he'd told me he'd cut down to two syns a day, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid! I suppose loads of us still see different types of food as 'good' or 'bad', even when it's built into a healthy eating plan like SW.

Back