Does anyone know what the protein and carbohydrate maximum is to induce ketosis? :)

oO~SaDiA~Oo

I'm really interested in the science behind food and our bodies. I believe it can vary for each individual but is there a agreed maximum? :) xXx

In a word no, it really does vary from person to person, some people can get away with carbs and others are very carb intolerant. Same as with citric acid etc what affects one person wont affect another

There is no maximum for the protein - pure protein will not knock you out of ketosis. For carbs it does vary widely for individuals. Most people will be in ketosis if they have no more than 60g of carbs a day - a few will be in ketosis if they have no more than 100g a day.

I'm about 70gs before I'm out of ketosis.

The variable seems to be due to lifestyle, the more active one is the ability to stay in ketosis with more carbs is higher.

oO~SaDiA~Oo said:
The variable seems to be due to lifestyle, the more active one is the ability to stay in ketosis with more carbs is higher.

Definitely lifestyle can have an impact - if you are very active you will be using up extra carbs - but only on the days that you exercise. However, there is also a large variation amongst people with the same level of activity. In the same way that some people can go into ketosis without any side effects whilst others have a really hard time.

Sorry to disagree Weasey, but too much protein can actually lead to a process called glucogenesis. This means that it can be used by the body as a form of glucose when no other source is available.I believe it is turned into glucose by the liver. It is therefore suggested that you keep protein to less than 100grams a day. For women it might even be lower. I aim for about 20-30 grams per meal. Obviously you will need to up your fat to make up for the calorie shortfall. In terms of carbs I have no more than 50 grams a day and try to stick to less than 30 grams most of the time.

There is a great book called "the art and science of low carbohydrate living" and "The art and science of low carbohydrate performance" which explain the concept of eating too much protein and too little fat really clearly.

I have stuck to high fat, medium protein and low carb for around 8 months and have kept to my target weight. I am never hungry!!

Thanks nzmegs for the suggested reading material I am deffinetly going to read both these! This vlcd has opened my eyes to how low carb is the sustainable way to go. The benefits for me have been instantaneous. Not just physical but overall mental health.
Going to read these and start planning my lifestyle change. ><

Thanks nzmegs for the suggested reading material I am deffinetly going to read both these! This vlcd has opened my eyes to how low carb is the sustainable way to go. The benefits for me have been instantaneous. Not just physical but overall mental health.
Going to read these and start planning my lifestyle change. ><

I agree, I feel so much better low carb- I only realised this after eating chinese yesterday. As much a I love carbs I hadn't realised the negative impact they have on my emotional health.

I read that the concept of a vlcd was designed by a Dr who used it to help patients with epilepsy who had progressively gotten worse when they put on lots of weight. Food has much more nuerological effects as well as physical effects. I recently got diagnosed with dyslexia, which has deffinetly been linked to my weight and my diet.I was suffering from all sorts. Going on this diet for just a day and I was beggining to feel like I did before i put on all this weight aswell as I did before my food habits changed also. I guess it's simple it's all to do with chemistry. ''you are what you eat'' has never made more sense then it does right now haha

I read this post somewhere else and thought it might be useful

I'm a fan of Mark Sissons approach to carbs:

0-50g a day - accelerated fat loss & ketosis
50-100g a day - weight loss zone, some will be in ketosis
100-150g a day - maintenance zone
150-300g a day - insidious weight gain
300g + danger zone!

Link to article
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#axzz1yP7X2ARw[/QUOTE]

I am currently reading "Wheat Belly". Gives good insight into why we should avoid grains. He has a more relaxed attitude to sugars and fruit, but makes it really clear about why grain is a big no no. You should also visit the Jimmy Moore websites. he does really interesting podcasts with experts in low carb. Plus there is a really active forum. You will see me there!!

I'm planning to stay low-carb when I get to goal as I believe carbs are so addictive and it's carbs and sugar in particular that put on weight not fat. I also like Mark Sisson's and Zoe Harcombe of the Harcombe Diet makes a lot of sense and it's these principals I intend to apply to maintain.

When I did CD 6 years ago to maintain I ate low-fat and tried to be "good" - it didn't work, over time I ate more, re-introduced the things I used to eat and surely but slowly the weight went back on. I truly believe I can maintain by following a low-carb way of eating.

Not heard of Jimmy Moore, NZMegs, but will be googling him right now :)

Low Carb is deffinetly where I am now. Really glad I found this diet it's just had a domino effect for me love it.

Back