Does Body Magic affect weight loss?

I do alot of body magic (though im not atm as im waiting to see a dr about a possible hernia) its never effected my losses I do 40 min high intensity 5 times a week

What I have noticed though is the hill i struggled to walk up to get home from taking my daughter to school I can walk up it without my asthma being effected (though i did still struggle with two kids in my double pushchair and full of birthday pressies lol but im only human)

I feel safe in the fact that I am toning my muscles under the fat meaning when i am skinny i should be nicely defined

Im another one who gives body magic the thumbs up :D

When I first started SW using the wii and walking was what I did to start things moving-After being a couch potato for so long it was enough :eek:

Now I have become addicted to exercise :faint2:, I like to mix things up so I do 2 or 3 visits to the gym a week, I have recently become a badminton convert -having never played before I now can't get enough and 1.5hrs just flies by, so I try and get 2 sessions in a week with hubby and then I do my DVD at home as and when -its usually the 30day shred, but yesterday I tried 1 of my new TaeBo DVDs and not only loved it but completely shocked myself that I could do it :p

When I started at the gym I told myself that I was OK with my losses slowing down as I knew that the tape measure would show my progress -to be honest Im going to the gym for health rather than appearance reasons (although losing inches and lbs is a nice bonus;)) -Im determined to become the fittest and healthiest ME that I can :party0011: - I could lose the rest of my weight and still be unhealthy but whats the point :confused:...
Im lucky as I have been doing SW for over a year now and I really expected my losses to be slowing but they aren't -in fact they are getting bigger again -weigh in this morning showed 3lbs gone :D
As a final ramble -also, when I exercise I find that I don't want to undo all the hard work -so I eat even better , because I eat better -I feel better annnnnnnd because I feel better I want to exercise more ..so its a lovely cycle once it gets going...

exactly thats it though isnt it... do you really want to just be thin or thin and healthy because if your struggling with fitness then it can make it seem like your still fat on the inside iykwim

exactly thats it though isnt it... do you really want to just be thin or thin and healthy because if your struggling with fitness then it can make it seem like your still fat on the inside iykwim

Exactly, I've lost, officially 3lbs, (although a sneak peek at the scales today showed I may have lost another 3lbs this week, hehe) but by losing weight while doing exercise I feel like I've lost stones not pounds!
My stomach feels tighter, apparently my legs look skinnier and I generally feel happier and more positive and that's just in 3 weeks!!
I am a total exercise convert! :)

Thanks for the great advice everyone, you all make very sensible comments. I have taken out a 12 month pass so I have no intention of stopping exercise, I was just a little glum at the gain. I have a holiday in 4 weeks and gave myself 6 weeks to get refocused with the aim of losing 10-14lbs in that time! I have however noticed a difference in the last couple of days, I am on nights all of this weekend and usually become very bloated (not helped by the fact I work in a VERY busy hospital and eat rubbish all night as meal times seem to be non-existent!) This weekend though I have felt really good, even with a few too many biscuits!
Measurements will be the way forward.

What type of workout routines do you do at the gym? I've been doing 30 mins cardio/fat burn in 10 minute blocks with low weights inbetween each one.

Sara x

Baileygirl said:
Thanks for the great advice everyone, you all make very sensible comments. I have taken out a 12 month pass so I have no intention of stopping exercise, I was just a little glum at the gain. I have a holiday in 4 weeks and gave myself 6 weeks to get refocused with the aim of losing 10-14lbs in that time! I have however noticed a difference in the last couple of days, I am on nights all of this weekend and usually become very bloated (not helped by the fact I work in a VERY busy hospital and eat rubbish all night as meal times seem to be non-existent!) This weekend though I have felt really good, even with a few too many biscuits!
Measurements will be the way forward.

What type of workout routines do you do at the gym? I've been doing 30 mins cardio/fat burn in 10 minute blocks with low weights inbetween each one.

Sara x

I've been doing 15 mins interval training on the tread mill, 100 steps on the stair climber, 7 mins on the sit down cross trainer, 5 mins walking on the treadmill, 7 mins on the standing cross trainer with arm and keg workouts and then 20-30 mins sit ups, stretches and crunches for the core muscles. Only an hour but that's all you need and just up the intensity as you go along.

I can't speak for others, but I find the more you do, the more you want to do!

That might just be the endorphin-effect (hark at me!)

So long as you don't go too hardcore/extreme and damage yourself, the weightloss combination of diet and exercise can be amazing!

i absolutly love exercising now and even if i gained i would carry on because my moods have been a million times better since i started regular exercise.
when i first upped my exercise i think i shocked my body as my first week showed a 1 and half lb gain, but then it started to slowly come off again. even if i do a dvd for 30 minutes i still feel great for it. body magic is fab :) :)

I'm a total exercise convert. When I started properly in Feb I was a complete couch potato, hated exercise with a passion and saw it simply as a way to speed up my weight loss. I started running and could barely manage a minute at a time without wanting to throw up and my exercise DVD's at home had me completely red faced and begging for water after 5 mins.

Fast forward 4 months and I'm a changed person. I regularly run for 30-35 mins at a time non stop, I do Zumba classes quite easily, I've had to upgrade to all the advanced levels on my DVD's and I LOVE it! It gives me such a buzz, I feel so good during and afterwards and it's really helped me loose the inches and tone up even if the weight hasn't come off so easily. I'm even planning to take all my running gear and DVD's on holiday with me in Spain in August because I don't want to forfeit exercise whilst I'm away which frankly is amazing!!

Exercise can sometimes slow the weight loss but it always comes off eventually, sometimes it just takes a while to show on the scales. Body magic IS MAGIC :D

i am glad i found this thread as i want advice from you all

i walk quite a bit - as i feel i can do that without being stared at by skinnies - - i would REALLY love to start a zumba class or even go back to latin american dancing - but i feel that doing something like that would make teh slim people there look at me and think 'who does she think shes kidding?'

i spend half my life in hotels and get free access to their gyms - id say on average four or five days a week but cant even bring myself to go in there and use a treadmill as i feel people would be looking at me critically =- especially younger fitter thinner colleagues

how the heck do i get myself past this? i know the only person losing out cause of this hang up is me - but i just cant get over the hurdle of going to that first class

any suggestions?help ?anyone else feel or felt the same?

slushy said:
i am glad i found this thread as i want advice from you all

i walk quite a bit - as i feel i can do that without being stared at by skinnies - - i would REALLY love to start a zumba class or even go back to latin american dancing - but i feel that doing something like that would make teh slim people there look at me and think 'who does she think shes kidding?'

i spend half my life in hotels and get free access to their gyms - id say on average four or five days a week but cant even bring myself to go in there and use a treadmill as i feel people would be looking at me critically =- especially younger fitter thinner colleagues

how the heck do i get myself past this? i know the only person losing out cause of this hang up is me - but i just cant get over the hurdle of going to that first class

any suggestions?help ?anyone else feel or felt the same?

I used to worry like this, but eventually plucked up the courage and went and it's fine! Everybody is really friendly and has a good laugh in the classes I go to!

Are you in different hotels when you stay away? If so, and you went in the gym, would you ever see any of the other users ever again?

Even if you do go to the same hotels quite a bit, it's likely that other people that you might see in the gym don't, so again, you won't see them ever again!

Just go for it! It's great fun and every little helps!! xx

When I joined my zumba class I was one of the biggest ones there. No one will judge you at all, they are all there for the same thing, to loose weight/tone up/get fit. One lady is very big but she has a ball and even in the space of a couple of months I can see her getting smaller, just like I did. Just do it, honestly once you've done it once it will be easy, all the zumba teachers that I have met are lovely.

Same for the gyms at the hotels. Yes, some people will be slim fit gym buddies but not everyone will be and I'm sure they won't be judging you at all. Its like anything in life, the reality is often a lot less scary than your imagination.

What have you got to loose apart from more weight and inches? :D

Keep up the exercise...!! It'll make you weigh heavier at first and no its not muscle unless you've been exercising 12 months and are now training to be a weigh lifter - the weigh gain is actually fluid AROUND the muscles retaining water... :) I did 20 min power walking five nights a week last year when doing sw and lost inches round my waist and this time I'm at the gym and losing weight still but the first week there I put half a pound on and the next I did the same exercise but ate more and lost 4lb!! The body gets used to regular exercise and will eventually catch up with how much it should be losing!! Keep it up keep it up!! :D xxx

I was nervous but started out at a ladies only gym - if there is one in your area that could be worth looking into.

I think most follow the same format - hydraulic resistance machines (ie not weights) arranged in a circuit so that you dont really need to think about what you need to do.

Curves is a well known chain one, but there are independent versions too - I went to one in my local area that was independantly run.

I don't go any more - I feel i've grown out of it to some extent, but it was going there to start with that gave me the confidence to do other things, I now run, do Zumba, cycle to work and have joined the gym at work which is cheaper and more varied than the ladies only gym.

But I wouldnt have done any of these things without a kick start in a less intimidating environment, which I think is the beauty of the ladies only set up.

I started going to the gym 4 weeks ago and I have very quickly seen improvements, it didn't affect my weight loss but I didn't go on my normal night this week (I normally go on a Tuesday) and today I feel very bloated and, frankly, a bit fat. Lol. I'm going tonight instead though so fingers crossed will feel better tomorrow.

Go to the gym!!! Please dont let what others think put you off as no-one judges, everyone is there to get fit! Exercise helps your weight, it does not hinder it!!

Ahhhhh 1.5 on after lots of body magic! Measured myself this morning and I have lost an inch off my waist and bum so really disappointed, but I won't stop exercising.

Amy2249 said:
Ahhhhh 1.5 on after lots of body magic! Measured myself this morning and I have lost an inch off my waist and bum so really disappointed, but I won't stop exercising.

It's probably just water retention so don't worry. Your muscles hold on to water when you first begin exercising. Try & make sure you keep really well hydrated when exercising & after.

I weighed myself at the gym yesterday on the body fat scales and I've gained a couple if pounds, but since I last checked it 2 weeks ago I've lost over a kilo in body fat, and my % body fat has gone down by 1.5% :) so I'm happy. And remember inches = dress size size reduction ;)

Back