does coffee count towards water ?

hi all, i have been drinking about 10 cups of decaff coffee a day to warm/fill me up, lol, does this count towards water amount? finding it hard to drink water whilst it's so cold! thanks

Im the same ive had 4 cups of tea with skim milk. I also have coffee without milk and im sure that's classed as ok liquid to drink,?? same as herbal teas, like green tea, nettle tea i love these.!

Im sure its classed toward your intake? it must be surely? still water isnt it..just with coffee in it lol

I was told they did count towards total fluid, but I could be wrong?

Last edited:
Thank goodness, I hate water and struggle to drink it but Im a black coffee freak anyway.

Sorry, but officially it doesn't. Please don't kill me :(

NOOOOOOOOO, KD, dont say that!! Can you tell us why CD say it doesnt count. MY CD says it does.

I can't explain because I don't know. It's just one of those Cambridge rules :sigh:

Some people wil pop up no doubt and say it's because caffeine in tea is dehydrating, which it isn't really, so can't give a reason for the rule at all.

Meanwhile, if people need warming and intend sticking to this rule, I vouch for hot water. Weird though it may seem, it's actually rather good. Cold water at this time of year is ummm...well...a tad cold

I've always been a bit confused about tea and coffee full stop... I had to quit tea when I started CD because I couldn't bare the taste without sugar in it - then I slowly reintroduced it, and now I have it occasionally, and without sugar, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to on CD.. I vaguely remember the CD website suggesting no tea or coffee and weaning yourself off it in advance so as not to get a caffeine withdrawal at the same time as going into ketosis... or something...?

(coffee's irrelevant for me, cause it works like rocket fuel firing me off in the direction of the loo!! haha - but if you're a coffee addict, it must be really tricky...)

Vx

LOL so whats the difference if I eat 1 tsp of dry coffee and then drink a mug full of hot water? :D

LOL. I must remember to quote this one next time I'm on the warpath about it with someone 'up there' at Cambridge :D

I vaguely remember the CD website suggesting no tea or coffee and weaning yourself off it in advance so as not to get a caffeine withdrawal at the same time as going into ketosis... or something...?

Yeah. Not a good idea to come off caffeine at the beginning of CD. Too much pain at once :)

Though why anyone would want to come off caffeine anyway confuses me. Full of antioxidants and all that. That's my argument anyway, being a coffee addict.

So anyway. Teas and coffees are fine (tablet sweetener if needed), but have to have the water as well. sigh

people adding coffee to the shakes for extra flavouring, it makes you wonder doesn't it?!

Massively!! I get very puzzled over this rule, but who am I to argue? Okay...I still argue about it anyway, just didn't win this one :cry:

I thought that the "plain" coldwater we are told to drink is to replace the water that we are not having in food as everyday eating contains alot of water which is lost on a VLCD ?? Crikey - I sound all knowlegable here - NOT lol :)

Fluids are very important because of lack of fluid from regular food, reduces side effects, and of course it's ketogenic so prone to be dehydrating. It's just that I don't get why tea and coffee aren't allowed as part of the minimum fluid.

Anyway, for your information, rooibos tea (redbush) does count, which drives me even nuttier since I have issues about the way roobis is promoted.

So is this something that CDCs are told during training then?

Cos why doesn't it say that it has to be water in the yellow book (or on the Cambridge Diet site, for that matter)?

:confused:

Back