Does your job make lunchtime harder?

snuggle69

Silver Member
I am a health & safety manager for a construction firm, and spend a lot of time on the road out on site which can make lunchtimes difficult. If I am in the office its a doddle and I have lots of supplies of free foods here all the time.
Does anyone else have a job that causes the same thing and how do you get round it. My other issue is that I work with all men who live on junk food!!

My new job is a nightmare for sticking to plan!! I used to be able to eat at my desk but now i literally on the phone all day so im finding it hard to snack.

We have a canteen with microwave, kettle, fridge etc but there is always a queue and sometimes my shifts are funny so i dont get my lunch until 3.30 so it throws my eating out for the evening or im starving because ive had breakfast at like 7.30 with no snacks in between.

The other major issue is that we have a cafe with a starbucks that delivers food directly to your desk - its a danger zone to say the least!

My job is horrendous for shifts and not getting a break most off the time.
when i do late shift which is 1.15 till 9.15, usually with been busy i dont get a break till 7 at night, so im going from 12ish when im having my lunch till 7 without drinks or anything.
By then all i want is adrink and not enough time to cook anything to eat,so i eat at 9.30 when i get home.
lol hope you followed that :sigh:
totally not good and certainly not when your tring to eat regular.
i just try to keep fruit or muller yoghurts or free food with me till i can eat a propar meal.
so annoys me even just typing it out makes me mad
:mad:

I only get half an hour break, so have to plan well.

I also work in a 95% male environment, so the snack machine have Ginsters and PotNoodle, and the demand for salads and healthy food is non existent! haha!

I also work in the middle of nowhere, and therefore, have to take my food with me - if i didnt i would not have anything to eat (except Ginsters!!!) as there is not a close shop!

x

im very lucky that i have half hour to myself, with no queing for the microwave etc.. but if i dont take lunch with me.. im screwed.. no vending machines, cafe and shops will take too much time to get to.. park.. suss out sw friendly food etc..

it certainly gives you a quick up the bum to make extra at tea time the night before or get out of bed and make somthing before you go once you'v had a muller.. with plain rice for dinner hahaha

Lol!!

I only get 15 mintutes break work 9.30-2.30 mon fri so i always have to make sure i have food that is ready to eat! Sometimes can be really hard but the key to it is to be organised!!

I've just returned to work after a years Maternity leave and have put on about 9lbs since going back 6 weeks ago!

The food in the canteen is horrendous and full of grease (the options are usually left over breakfast and wedges or chips or a pie or a greasy lasagne! yuuuk and even those not dieting are revolted by it!). They used to have Wholemeal Bread and Salad and Jacket Pots as an option but not anymore!

I start work at 06.30 and don't get a break until 12 most days - sometimes 2pm and by then i am starving! I leave home at just before 6am and cannot eat that early. I take fruit salad with me for Brekkie, but if it's busy it gets wasted!

At the moment i've told them i cannot do late shifts which are 02.45-23.15 - the canteen is only open between 17-18.00 and that is my departments busiest time so we miss that opening too. I'm hoping it'll never come to me doing that shift again!

I have now realised that i MUST make the effort at night no matter how knackered i am to make food to take with me, and more importantly remember to get it out of the fridge in the morning!!! As i more often than not forget.

Our hotel is in the middle of nowhere and we only get half hours lunch so there's no other option.

god you lot make my day sound easy! i work on a trading floor in the city, i have great hours (10-6) and i have a kitchen plus lots of shops just around the corner. but i do get bored because i tend to eat a lot of salads or the odd jacket spud etc. I wish we had an oven/hob so i could cook things. i'm never organised enough to cook the night before!

I am a youth worker/outdoor pursuits worker so my lunch can either be in the office, up a mountain, on a boat, up a rock face or in a minibus!! So it can be difficult.

I also work with 3 men who believe that lunch is chips and a pasty, and who always mock my salads (in a friendly way)!! Plus there seems to be a law in my office that you have to have a biscuit with your cuppa! Also they are protective of me, I walk to work and all 3 normally drive past and stop to offer me a lift because 'a girl shouldn't be walking on her own'!! It's a main road in daylight......

I have to be super organised. I try to take lunch most days, lunch is usually salad plus pasta/rice/couscous/hard boiled eggs. I always take a bag of fruit, and my minibus is stocked with alpen lights for those times when I'm stuck in middle of nowhere and need something.

x

Im in the car all day, ive got a cool bag and it is full of fruit, veg sticks pasta salad etc.
I never let myself get hungry and generally eat a piece of fruit every 40 mins or so.
By the time i get home i am ready for my tea, thats the hardest bit not munching while waiting for tea to cook

I get half an hour break for my lunch. We have no microwave, and cannot eat hot food at our desks. I'm the unimportant one in my team, so my lunch break comes late on, when the canteen is so full and you can't get a seat. So I normally end up taking something boring like a salad and wolfing it down at my desk before rushing out to get a bit of fresh air. Half an hour is not enough at all!!

Worst thing of all is, working in such a small team with all women (well, one man but he's gay and totally acts like a woman - it's brilliant!) - they always bring in chocolate. It's been sooooooo hard holding onto every scrap of my willpower not to eat it. I've only broken down twice since October last year which is good going for me!! But ugh...it's soooooo hard!!!

the average day i get a 10 minute lunch break in which i hurtle downt he street to buy a jacket potato although if its after 1 then they usually have none left :( in which case i have to politely sulk off and head to the next street to buy a more overpriced and less delicious jacket potato from another shop lol. luckily im usually so busy actually working that i dont get time to pick on anything like chocolate (im a tattooist) we have lollies and sweets all over for customers but i dont think it would be very hygenic for me to be eating while working. ocassionaly the boss will buy everyone cream cakes or something similar but he is on a mission to get a 6 pack for his 50th birthday in oct so that hasnt happened in quite a while!!

my colleagues are always bringing in cakes and biccies, even though everyone is on a diet...?

and our office is surrounded by fast food places, fish & chip shops and bakeries. I *could* stay in at lunch but I want some fresh air and its hard not to give in to temptation :(

For me it's fine as I'm currently a lady of leisure. For my son it's difficult. He's doing A levels & his mates go grab pizza & chips from the canteen. He takes a sandwich & gets really hungry. I tell him to take fruit, Mullers, maybe some crisps for syns etc etc., but he won't. He won't take pasta either, as apparently teenage boys don't eat pasta from their tupperware lunch boxes, or Mullers, or fruit ......... so advice here would be appreciated. During these past two weeks of college hols he's lost half a stone, which is as much as he lost over the previous five weeks of college, so I guess he got tempted by the pizza & chips at college!

the average day i get a 10 minute lunch break in which i hurtle downt he street to buy a jacket potato although if its after 1 then they usually have none left :( in which case i have to politely sulk off and head to the next street to buy a more overpriced and less delicious jacket potato from another shop lol. luckily im usually so busy actually working that i dont get time to pick on anything like chocolate (im a tattooist) we have lollies and sweets all over for customers but i dont think it would be very hygenic for me to be eating while working. ocassionaly the boss will buy everyone cream cakes or something similar but he is on a mission to get a 6 pack for his 50th birthday in oct so that hasnt happened in quite a while!!

Wow....a tattooist..thats a pretty cool job, i'm jealous

My tattoist just smokes and drinks a shed load of coffee, bless him.

He is always booked back to back and hardly gets any time for a break - its must be so hard.

I dont know how you guys cope!

Hi I work shift's aswell and often do double shifts.I have tried other diet's in the past and have struggled to tie it in with my work. The diet i'm on at the moment is a low carb diet with go-lower have you heard of them?.where most of the food is provided & delivered to my door every 2 weeks. As the food is already prepared is easy for me to take to work. I have lost 8lb over the last 3 weeks.

Back