doin CD on the cheap!!!!!

Hi All,

In the interests of information sharing :rolleyes:, anyone else interested in low carb dieting that induces ketosis might like to have a look at Rose Elliot's Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, available from Amazon. Could be done as is or combined with Atkins, or even one of the CD plans I should think. She's also published an accompanying recipe book, again available thru' Amazon.
SM

ermmm...the title of this thread is 'doing CD on the cheap'.

in fact youre not doing CD at all. you're doing a completly different diet ,your're doing a combo of Slimfast with atkins bars. Yeah its a cheaper alternative.but in no way is it CD on the cheap! There is no such thing... my perspective is. 'are you worth 35 quid a week' answer YES...
if someone said to me when i was doing the diet. pay me a grand and in 8 months time with you own input of dedication and commitment you will be the size 12 you dreamed of...i would have bit their arm off... paying for CD in my opinion is the same deal..

you cant use these products in the same way as you can use CD. Slimfast powder is not supposed to be used for long term sole source weightloss programme. yeah you may lose some weight on it to start with but im betting you wont be able to keep to it for 6 months. your body wont be able to cope. you may start feeling poorly

the reason? becasue your not 'feeding' your body the full nutrition that you need to keep everything working healthily. the only stuff that can do this is one of the VLCDs like CD/LL/LT which is scientifically researched and proven. it also has to be monitored..hence why u see a counseller.. you shouldnt be buying this type of stuff and using it willy nilly without knowing what its doing to you body/health/weigh long term.

if you are doing the slim fast. make sure you eat food daily as well ie protein like chicken or fish, green veg and some calcium like milk on a daily basis. slim fast like most other diet products on the supermarket shelves is to be used as 'part of a caloried controlled diet' not a sole source of nutrition

in fact i have just checked the label on an old tin of slimfast i have had in the cupboard...it says as follows
to lose weight aim to eat 1200-1400 calories a day
during the day eat up to 4 slimfast products
for you main meal have 75-100 fish or chicken. 100g of whole grain bread or potatoes. and pleanty of leafy green verg or bright red vegetable.

please move this thread to 'other diets' it is not CAMBRIDGE DIET... and should not be confused in any way with Cambridge

anyway..off my high horse now.. hope you do manage to lose the weight you want.. just dont think your doing CD when you're not!

x
JoJo

Its obviously not the Cambridge Diet, but the principle is similar that will be why she posted it. Shakes/bars and low carb meals is very similar to 820 plan. There is only one Cambride Diet, but we knew what she meant. The principles are the same....losing weight through ketosis, but a cheaper version. Yes I am worth £35 (mines £38) a week, but I can afford it, for others with little or no money, this may be the answer.

I would be careful buying the products off the internet- an ex work colleague of mine who our local chemist would allow not use the full lipotrim diet , got some on ebay . She paid nearly double price for 1 weeks supply and her packs looked nothing like the normal liportim packs. It was not liportim or if it was the packaging had been changed.

She's not suggesting buying it from the internet, she says to use slimfast made with water and Atkins bars along with maybe a low carb meal......sounds good if it works!! I agree 100% with buying from the internet....AVOID at all costs!!

She's not suggesting buying it from the internet, she says to use slimfast made with water and Atkins bars along with maybe a low carb meal......sounds good if it works!! I agree 100% with buying from the internet....AVOID at all costs!!

I agree that with a meal it does sound a cheaper alternative that can work for people. However I think the reason many are worried is that Virgo has not stated that she is eating a meal, which is where the fear lies that her alternative to CD is not a healthy one.

I know my earlier comment offended and I apologise for that, I should have gone into more detail with my thoughts on the subject.

Tracey
x

I agree that with a meal it does sound a cheaper alternative that can work for people. However I think the reason many are worried is that Virgo has not stated that she is eating a meal, which is where the fear lies that her alternative to CD is not a healthy one.

I know my earlier comment offended and I apologise for that, I should have gone into more detail with my thoughts on the subject.

Tracey
x

I agree with you hun. It would be unwise to SS using this method.....CD has been carefully designed to ensure you get everything the body needs daily. CD and LT were described to me as controlled starvation diets....and I think the key word is 'controlled'. If its not then your body may hold onto the fat cells and you don't lose as much anyway!!....plus you may do harm. But with a balanced low carb meal.......maybe it will work!

Re your comment offending.....it didn't offend! I'm the sort of person that comes to someones aid and I'm sorry I gave you that impression.xx

Re your comment offending.....it didn't offend! I'm the sort of person that comes to someones aid and I'm sorry I gave you that impression.xx[/quote]

No need to be sorry!

Well done on your weight loss this week:)

Tracey
x

Re your comment offending.....it didn't offend! I'm the sort of person that comes to someones aid and I'm sorry I gave you that impression.xx

No need to be sorry!

Well done on your weight loss this week:)

Tracey
x[/quote]

Thanks hun..........thats down to CD!! You've got to love it!!

hey everyone....

at this time i am not including a meal. i only have 2 shakes and a bar....but i do not intend on doing this for much longer. i have lost the weight i gained back and once i get down to 7st which i hope will be in 2 weeks i will start introducing a balanced low carb meal once a day. i have realised frm all your comments that perhapse this isnt the healthiest alternative but for me its workin, its cheap and i feel fine!! thank u all for ur concerns and i didnt mean to upset anyone with my thoughts....

and fair enought this isnt actually CD on the cheap...but to me it feels like the same diet! lol

I'm going to propose an arguement now. I don't expect it to be popular. I don't feel totally comfortable with it myself, but nor can I ridicule it.

Virgo has made a genuine attempt to piece together a CD-like diet.
It is very low cal,low carb & ketogenic. It is protein rich & probably contains a reasonable proportion of the RDA of many other nutrients. It may or may not have deficiencies either nutritional or professional. A righteous outcry ensued, & quite rightly in my opinion. Virgo may have a fuller pocket but where's the sympathetic experienced & informed friend to listen, advise, motivate when things get tough? This aspect has been well aired.

To return to the ' Is it or is it not' a healthy diet arguement I wish to add the following:

Is it healthy to be 3st or more over weight?
Is it healthy to eat Macdonalds more than once a year?

Q: Which is worse, a 'DIY CD type diet which may be deficient in a few areas' taken for a few months followed by sensible eating (= low fat low GI lots of fresh veg etc) VS a life of high fat refined sugar high salt obesity?

My point is, If Virgo had 3st to lose , did it on her budget-VLCD & then spent the rest of her life at a normal weight, bathed in wholesome fresh produce. Would she be better or worse off nutritionally than someone who did the 'official' weight loss plans but failed to learn from them, remained overweight, continued in their poor eating habits & or Yo-yo dieted etc ?

Which scenario is the nutritionally & healthily superior? I know where my vote goes

Virgo: May I ask how tall you are? 7st sounds like an incredibly low weight, and I assume from your comments about being 7st in a couple of weeks that you're 7st-something now. If your BMI is under 25 then you really shouldn't be doing any kind of vlcd, regardless of whether or not it is nutritionally complete.

Jane: That's a fair comment, and I can certainly see your point. I think that as a short term solution, it's probably not such a terrible idea, as our bodies wouldn't suffer too much from being on an 'insufficient' diet for just a few weeks. As a long term thing though, going into starvation mode (which, theoretically your body would on so few cals, but not enough vits, minerals, etc) could be potentially damaging. On the other hand, in desperation, how many of us have reduced our calories far too low in the past, in an attempt to lose weight, without any thought for whether we're getting complete nutrition? I certainly have, as I knew very little about that kind of thing when I was younger.

Jo x

........ On the other hand, in desperation, how many of us have reduced our calories far too low in the past, in an attempt to lose weight, without any thought for whether we're getting complete nutrition? I certainly have, as I knew very little about that kind of thing when I was younger.

Jo x

Thanks Jo...that's excatly what I was trying to say.
Only you did it in one sentance & it took me 1/2 a page....I'm getting more verbose in my old age.

I clocked the 7st too but assumed it was a typo.......'spose the rule of thumb should be 'never assume'

On the other hand, in desperation, how many of us have reduced our calories far too low in the past, in an attempt to lose weight, without any thought for whether we're getting complete nutrition? I certainly have, as I knew very little about that kind of thing when I was younger.

Jo x[/quote]

:busted: Me too:eek:

Thanks Jo...that's excatly what I was trying to say.
Only you did it in one sentance & it took me 1/2 a page....I'm getting more verbose in my old age.

I clocked the 7st too but assumed it was a typo.......'spose the rule of thumb should be 'never assume'
Hehe - i'm never normally particularly succinct either!

I guess it could've been a typo, or Virgo might be quite short - hopefully she'll get back to us on that.

Jo x

I agree with you all. We all keep thinking about nutrition, yet it wasn't on my mind when I gained the weight. I ate....chocolate, takeaways, chips, crisps, biscuits......basically crap and never gave it a second thought. Here is someone who is probably getting more nutrients then most of the British population out there and I say good luck to you Virgo.

Well said Jane, Justjo and minilady.

I'm sticking with CD though....lost 7lbs this week....yay.x

Virgo: May I ask how tall you are? 7st sounds like an incredibly low weight, and I assume from your comments about being 7st in a couple of weeks that you're 7st-something now. If your BMI is under 25 then you really shouldn't be doing any kind of vlcd, regardless of whether or not it is nutritionally complete.

Jane: That's a fair comment, and I can certainly see your point. I think that as a short term solution, it's probably not such a terrible idea, as our bodies wouldn't suffer too much from being on an 'insufficient' diet for just a few weeks. As a long term thing though, going into starvation mode (which, theoretically your body would on so few cals, but not enough vits, minerals, etc) could be potentially damaging. On the other hand, in desperation, how many of us have reduced our calories far too low in the past, in an attempt to lose weight, without any thought for whether we're getting complete nutrition? I certainly have, as I knew very little about that kind of thing when I was younger.

Jo x

very good argument here. the amount of students that are ruining their bodys with alcohol, poor diets and drugs! so im missing a few nutrients but the damage cant be as bad as if i wer livin up student life!!!

im 5.1'' my goal is 6.7st im currently 7.7 and....before u start tellin me about my BMI i already kno. but i do not base my weight loss on this....i go by how i look and how i feel.

also. i am not loosing weight rapidly anymore its normally only 2-3 Ibs a week.

im 5.1'' my goal is 6.7st im currently 7.7 and....before u start tellin me about my BMI i already kno. but i do not base my weight loss on this....i go by how i look and how i feel.

I've been reading this thread since it began and have followed the debates with interest, but now I'm rather worried about the potential damage you may be causing yourself.

You obviously know your BMI at your goal weight of 6 st 7 lbs is dangerously low at 17.19. Even now your current BMI of 19.5 is under the recommended healthy range of between 20-25.

Whilst everyone is entitled to follow a weightloss/eating progam which suits them and must be allowed to make their own choices, I feel it would be remiss of me in not at least registering my concern about the wisdom or desirability to achieve such a low BMI. This is potentially as unhealthy and damaging to health as being obese or morbidly obese is at the other end of the scale.

Hi Virgo

I don't want to get into a debate about the safety or lack of safety of the plan you are following. However, it would be remiss of me not to notice that your BMI is already below a healthy level, and you want to get lower.

I would sincerely hope that you have spoken to your Dr about your weight loss aims, and are taking his/her advice on board.

DQ

Back