DOING SW FROM HOME???

Jen what is it that you do? I've recently left a job as a staff nurse on a ward to work as a research nurse and am also missing patients

Placement co-ordinator for Thornbury Nursing Agency. What research you doing? Sounds interesting, would love to do something like that! It is weird having an 'office job' being a nurse :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

Oh I've heard of Thornbury, never joined an agency though. It's cardiovascular research, I'm working on about 7 different studies at the moment. It is really interesting and uses my knowledge from when I worked on CCU. I know what you mean - I still see patients but not everyday and spend so much time at my desk! It is definitely easier to follow SW when working "normal hours" though. Fingers crossed for you with the practice nursing x

Well hello ladies!! Sorry I haven't been on here for a few days...I went a bit AWOL! Ha!
Had a party sat and was so rough yesterday haha! Only just starting to feel human again!
Hardly ate yesterday and haven't eaten loads today so who knows what the scale are gunna show me on wed!!

Well Done on the losses!!

Charl hope ur ok and can sort things with Dan!

X

It's an intermittent fasting diet, so fasting then days where u eat whatever you want. It's shown thatbut even on your up days you tend to eat less than normal amazingly! Some pretty amazing health benefits so they say, but fasting is hard, really hard I found it so difficult last year xx

We'll see how it goes charl, quite often I get to 4pm or so before realising I haven't eaten anything but don't tend to go mad snacking and wait until dinner with just a bowl of free soup but you can guarantee tomorrow I'll be starving by 7.30 am lol

Not planning on eating whatever I fancy on up days just going to stick to SW plan and 15 syns, can't see much point in fasting then stuffing myself silly for the sake of it the next day... I see SW as change of food plan and not a diet so not planning of doing anything different on that front... it'll be interesting experiment if nothing else....

Thanks hun. If you ever fancy some extra work, agency pay £30p/h!

Now I know why one of the moms at school has never done anything other than agency work in all the tinme I've known her

Now I know why one of the moms at school has never done anything other than agency work in all the tinme I've known her

Yes, it's shocking! If you're a specialty it's £38-45p/h and double on bank hols. If the NHS sorted themselves out, they wouldn't have to pay such stupid prices but until they do, why shouldn't nurses get rewarded for a very hard job!

Jen can I ask your professional advice please. Euan had a febrile seizure last night, its never happened b4 and we were terrified. It lasted about 5 mins and from what I've researched this morning sounds pretty common. He's got the bug that Max had last week but as he's so young, 2, his temp rocketed to over 40. After a few hours in a&e we were sent home with advice to keep him cool and come back if anything else happens. I felt a little ignored but I guess it's a regular thing for medical staff to deal with. Am I right in thinking its safe to alternate paracetamol with ibuprofen even in a toddler to keep his temp down?

That is another fad diet and should be avoided. Also not good for your body as stretching stomach on the up days and shrinking it on fast days. Just eating healthily and moderatley will give you a much longer result. Do not forget SW teaches you to change your lifestyle of eating. You can eat everything but in smaller portions with exception of superfree and free food (until you are full - meaning limited).

I so agree with you... My son started to do a frugal and a good eating day and I didnt see the point, your stomach stretching point makes sense to me, although he did lose some weight quickly the first week to kick start him off now he and his wife are calorie counting and are losing weight properly.. He did do SW 2 years ago and lost 7lb the first week, but I think men tend to lose weight fast to start with... But my husband and I love SW and are slowly losing weight, steadily every week so far.. but I have to remind him of what you mentioned that free food is when you are full... limited... he has to get his head around it and to have smaller portions than usual. Takes a bit of time to retrain your brain!

Jen can I ask your professional advice please. Euan had a febrile seizure last night, its never happened b4 and we were terrified. It lasted about 5 mins and from what I've researched this morning sounds pretty common. He's got the bug that Max had last week but as he's so young, 2, his temp rocketed to over 40. After a few hours in a&e we were sent home with advice to keep him cool and come back if anything else happens. I felt a little ignored but I guess it's a regular thing for medical staff to deal with. Am I right in thinking its safe to alternate paracetamol with ibuprofen even in a toddler to keep his temp down?

I work in a nursery, am a deputy manager, and we've seen quite a bit of this over the last few weeks - luckily we've not had it in the setting but the poor parents at home. We, upon getting permission from parents, alternate calpol and nurofen - one of the parents was advised to do this by the hospital. If you've got any concerns I'm sure you can call nhs direct to check. It is common and the hospital staff are probably moe than used to it but its such a scary thing for a parent to witness, I'm sorry you didn't feel more supported :( xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Eugh, no wonder I felt so crap yesterday, I have flu! Barely slept all night and feel like I'm dying :( Never had flu before, so I'm hoping it goes quickly! I'm going to Nottingham at the weekend so I can't be ill for that!

Hope everyone's doing alright :) Tempted to be more on plan today but it's just weather or not I have the energy to cook/assemble good foods! Will try though :)

Hi All

I'm doing SW EE at home, I'm into my third week and all is going well. Lost 50 lbs on Atkins but needed a change, still have alot to lose. Anyone out there is a similar situations that would like to buddy up. I love the site but find it hard to make a connection with anyone as there are so many treads and converstations going on, and everyone seems to know everyone already, I really feel like the new girl in the playground with no friends :cry:ha ha

Polly

Thank you Tonianne.

I thought it was ok but wanted reassuring. I'm waiting for a call back from our practice nurse and we have an app with the dr this afternoon to check him over for any infections. My worry is that because his temp is only being kept down for approx 2 hours I'm going to exceed the safe dose for a 24 hr period.
In terms of advice from the hospital, it was pretty non existent! As a parent it is your absolute worst nightmare, your child is unconscious, fitting, turning blue and you are terrified! Then you just get sent home to where it all happened! We all slept on the sofa last night as we were too frightened to leave him alone and it would have got too warm in our bed.

I really hope none of you here have to experience that with your children.

Thank you Tonianne.

I thought it was ok but wanted reassuring. I'm waiting for a call back from our practice nurse and we have an app with the dr this afternoon to check him over for any infections. My worry is that because his temp is only being kept down for approx 2 hours I'm going to exceed the safe dose for a 24 hr period.
In terms of advice from the hospital, it was pretty non existent! As a parent it is your absolute worst nightmare, your child is unconscious, fitting, turning blue and you are terrified! Then you just get sent home to where it all happened! We all slept on the sofa last night as we were too frightened to leave him alone and it would have got too warm in our bed.

I really hope none of you here have to experience that with your children.

:( thinking of you hun, hopefully the doctors appointment will give you a bit of news - even if its an infection he's got at least then you know what's wrong and it can be treated. X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I so agree with you... My son started to do a frugal and a good eating day and I didnt see the point, your stomach stretching point makes sense to me, although he did lose some weight quickly the first week to kick start him off now he and his wife are calorie counting and are losing weight properly.. He did do SW 2 years ago and lost 7lb the first week, but I think men tend to lose weight fast to start with... But my husband and I love SW and are slowly losing weight, steadily every week so far.. but I have to remind him of what you mentioned that free food is when you are full... limited... he has to get his head around it and to have smaller portions than usual. Takes a bit of time to retrain your brain!

Initially you eat a lot as our brain is trained to go for it if it says "FREE" but gradually as you start losing your appetite will be curbed too. I have been following the plan about 14 months now and eating almost everything that I want - just using SW principles and avoid processed food and sweetners as much as I can (no mug shots, pasta & sauce and other things) and cook all my meals from scratch with plenty of fruit, veg and water. but when writing my diary cinvert it to SW. Lost almost 4.5 stone at an steady rate of 1 lbs a week. To me the slower you lose the longer you can maintain it. I must say my relationship with food has changed competely. I eat because i am hungry and not because manufacturers and retailers tempt me with special offers and advertising. Also I do some walking whenever I can - not one for heavy exercise as once again I believe if you do it at a steady rate it is much better for you. This is a lifestyle change. From your stats I can see that you are doing well. Best wishes.

Eugh, no wonder I felt so crap yesterday, I have flu! Barely slept all night and feel like I'm dying :( Never had flu before, so I'm hoping it goes quickly! I'm going to Nottingham at the weekend so I can't be ill for that!

Hope everyone's doing alright :) Tempted to be more on plan today but it's just weather or not I have the energy to cook/assemble good foods! Will try though :)
Sorry you are not feeling well. You need to rest and have plenty of hot fluid so you can sweat out the flu germs.

It is perfectly acceptable to use both as long as they are not given together. The latest NICE guidelines do not recommend this anymore and I think even NHS Direct don't advise the use of both. My youngest suffered with febrile convulsions as a baby/toddler and at the age of 6 now he is fine. Not had one for years. Just make sure they are given at least 20 minutes apart and don't exceed the daily allowance for either med. Also give him a big squeeze from all of us to help him get better soon x

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins

Back