Don't you just hate it when....

When I breastfed my two I had bottles which resembled the breast, I think they were by playtex, anyhow, it was a holder with a bag inside & the teat was shaped like a nipple, you put the milk/water inside the bag & as the baby sucked on the 'nipple' the bag didn't collect any air, this for me was a godsend, it meant I didn't always have to be there, it meant OH could feed our children & we could leave them with other people if we wanted to.

DYJHIW your OH's sister writes something on your FB wall that whilst probably isn't meant too, has really got my back up! xx

MAJOR problem with the internet!

I know! Normally I can let things she says slide, but she's got quite personal about our wedding! Hmmmm think there may be an 'un-friending' happening soon! xx

Mummy2Bslim said:
I think she's just having a bad day, I started crying so my mum phoned her and she got all moody with my mum and put the phone down. She text me and said sorry only trying to help because breast feeding doesn't always work.

I'm well aware it's difficult and sometimes babies just don't take to it but it takes patience perseverance and support, I've got the first two but it would be nice if she could offer me the third instead of assuming because two of her friends tried and gave up on breast feeding doesn't mean that I will.

She's now gone to my dads grave for a cry which is why I think she's having a bad day as she never goes, she sees it as a place of sadness I see it as a place of remembering good times and a solid place to tell him news because I would feel stupid talking to thin air but talking to a stone is ok ... Don't know where that logic is but hey lol

X x x

I breast fed mine for seven months each, you will want to give up about six weeks in... Now the reason is; your milk is in you're engorged and everything is hot and heavy HOWEVER, if you push past this it gets MUCH easier, to the point that you can speed feed!
Breast feeding is not just best for baby, it's best for mum too, it forces you to sit down, meaning you rest, it helps release Ocytocin the bonding hormone, meaning you and baby feel closer, it shrinks the womb and helps you lose some of the preparatory fat laid down in the first weeks of pregnancy.
Personal opinion... People give up because there's an 'easier' alternative but actually breast feeding is easiest of all, no sterilising, washing, carting bottles around (and bonus they tend to poop less, not all of them mind!).

Shirleen said:
I breast fed mine for seven months each, you will want to give up about six weeks in... Now the reason is; your milk is in you're engorged and everything is hot and heavy HOWEVER, if you push past this it gets MUCH easier, to the point that you can speed feed!
Breast feeding is not just best for baby, it's best for mum too, it forces you to sit down, meaning you rest, it helps release Ocytocin the bonding hormone, meaning you and baby feel closer, it shrinks the womb and helps you lose some of the preparatory fat laid down in the first weeks of pregnancy.
Personal opinion... People give up because there's an 'easier' alternative but actually breast feeding is easiest of all, no sterilising, washing, carting bottles around (and bonus they tend to poop less, not all of them mind!).

Thank you :) everything you've said is why I want to exclusively breast feed until 6 to 9 months and I'm reading up on baby led weaning for 6 months plus. I just feel that why would I give formula when I can create something much more natural and full of exactly what my baby needs myself! I understand that it's going to be hard, painful, time consuming etc but to me getting to have that time to bond with the baby I've longed for for three years trumps any of the so called "negatives" breast were meant for nurturing babies and that's what I intend to do and my sister needs to accept that it's my baby and my decision and if she doesn't like it well tough!

My mum exclusively breast fed her but with me she did half and half because I preferred sleep to food and lost a lot of weight in the first few weeks more than is usually for a breast feeding baby I mean as I know it is usual for a breast fed baby to lose at first. But I was a very sick child growing up - my sister wasn't and I think that goes back to breast feeding

X x x

Thank you :) everything you've said is why I want to exclusively breast feed until 6 to 9 months and I'm reading up on baby led weaning for 6 months plus. I just feel that why would I give formula when I can create something much more natural and full of exactly what my baby needs myself! I understand that it's going to be hard, painful, time consuming etc but to me getting to have that time to bond with the baby I've longed for for three years trumps any of the so called "negatives" breast were meant for nurturing babies and that's what I intend to do and my sister needs to accept that it's my baby and my decision and if she doesn't like it well tough!

My mum exclusively breast fed her but with me she did half and half because I preferred sleep to food and lost a lot of weight in the first few weeks more than is usually for a breast feeding baby I mean as I know it is usual for a breast fed baby to lose at first. But I was a very sick child growing up - my sister wasn't and I think that goes back to breast feeding

X x x

Not meaning to sound like the voice of doom here but I tried to breast-feed and couldn't (my equipment was faulty, you don't need any more info than that!!!!).

Please do bear in mind that if, for whatever reason, you can't breast-feed it is not the end of the world and you can't be hard on yourself. I live in Greece where the locals can be very forthright, and many asked me (with a look of disdain on their faces) why I wasn't breast-feeding. Fortunately I don't know the Greek for 'my nipples blew off in a storm' otherwise that would have been my stock response.

We all know breast is best but do also remember that in a room full of 10 year olds not one medical professional would be able to tell you which children were breast-fed.

Anyway, my point is, whatever plans you have - be it your labour plan (I wanted natural, I got a c-section 10 days before my due date so my parents missed the birth!), or your feeding plan - things sometimes don't go to plan A. I didn't get the birth I wanted, I didn't breast-feed when I wanted to but I have a perfectly happy and healthy 6 year old who is my world. Just enjoy the ride x x x x x

M Louise H said:
Not meaning to sound like the voice of doom here but I tried to breast-feed and couldn't (my equipment was faulty, you don't need any more info than that!!!!).

Please do bear in mind that if, for whatever reason, you can't breast-feed it is not the end of the world and you can't be hard on yourself. I live in Greece where the locals can be very forthright, and many asked me (with a look of disdain on their faces) why I wasn't breast-feeding. Fortunately I don't know the Greek for 'my nipples blew off in a storm' otherwise that would have been my stock response.

We all know breast is best but do also remember that in a room full of 10 year olds not one medical professional would be able to tell you which children were breast-fed.

Anyway, my point is, whatever plans you have - be it your labour plan (I wanted natural, I got a c-section 10 days before my due date so my parents missed the birth!), or your feeding plan - things sometimes don't go to plan A. I didn't get the birth I wanted, I didn't breast-feed when I wanted to but I have a perfectly happy and healthy 6 year old who is my world. Just enjoy the ride x x x x x

Fantastically put.

I wanted to breast feed exclusively with both of mine - got mastitis with them both exactly 7 days in.

It hurt me so much I cried everytime they cried for food, I got anxiety when they tried to latch on and I know I could have seriously ruined my relationship and bonding with my girls if I had forced myself to carry on.

With me, of there hadn't been an alternative ten I'm not sure what I'd have done. You do just have To go with the flow xx

Your dog wakes you up at 7am crying so you take him to the garden but he still doesn't stop so now you've had no sleep and have a massive headache.

mrstore said:
Dyjhiw.......you finally get through to the doctors surgery to be told the next available appointment is Thursday!!!!

Urgh my dr is rubbish, they don't do advance appointments you have to just call and try your luck 8am! It's stupid!

X x x

Mummy2Bslim said:
Urgh my dr is rubbish, they don't do advance appointments you have to just call and try your luck 8am! It's stupid!

X x x

By the time I'd got through they'd all gone :( I'm going down at the end of surgery later so I can be seen, all I want is some painkillers so I'm able to work this afternoon

Mummy2Bslim said:

X x x

I agree with the other posters. I couldn't breast feed for few reasons, my baby was in neonatal for ten days, fed thru a straw. Amongst other reasons I decided to bottle feed which was also hard work as little one couldn't sook.
I would say do what you can but if you can't breast feed I wouldn't beat yourself up.
I don't believe breast fed babies are healthier babies, have numerous friends who managed to breast feed yet there babies are poorly much more than mine.
Noone should judge on what others do til they have tried themselves. Once had a midwife tell me even if your nipple is hanging off its no excuse not to breast feed....she had no children and no experience...speaks volumes.

Your husband won't take no, I don't want crem in my carborna, I don't care if I have the syns for it, I perfer not to, my decision but no now I am called obessive because I am focused on my diet, F**k off!!!

I know but I have always had a firmly positive outlook only.

If I went around saying it might not work I wouldn't have lost 4 stone in 4 months on slimming world!

I know bf is hard and many people have complications and yes I may be one of them. I have three friends who have tried and been unable to continue breast feeding but if I go into it with a defeatist attitude like that I'm hardly going to succeed am I!

I've produced breast milk previously when I've not been pregnant and I also did as a baby, I naturally produce the hormone for breast milk all the time, I've been leaking since 16 weeks. I've suffered mastitis and cracked nipples with none of the joy of having a baby being the reason and because I've previously experienced those issues I'm better equipped to avoid them as best as you can. I know how painful both can be and how irritating.

I think it's funny how you mainly hear the negative experiences about breast feeding and labour and once somebody has a negative experience it feels like that shapes their entire view and because it happened to them it WILL happen to you - not it might.

I'm an intelligent young woman and I know things don't always happen the way we want or imagine they will but I prefer going through life viewing the world with a glass half full attitude and not a glass half empty as I think that would be an extremely depressing way to live!

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with me both good and bad, hearing both sides in excellent way of preparation for whatever may happen. But it won't stop me from beginning breast feeding confident and positive because that's just who I am :)

X x x

Back