Don't you just hate it when....

I think I'm just being sensitive :( she said I have to be consultant led so I can't give birth in my local hospital and will have to go to the hospital 45 minutes away. I asked if I could still go to them for my weekly blood tests (i have a low platelet count) and she said no it was tough. She then said I might have a transfusion and that I can't have an epidural, meaning if I have to have an emergency Caesarian they'd have to knock me out. She could see I was upset by it all but she was very blunt & basically told me to get a grip as i'm only 18 weeks then sent me away :(

Sorry for the long post!

DYJHIW you really want to finish your cross stitch but when it comes to it i get tons stuff to do then cba to do it! :(

Jess<3 said:
DYJHIW you really want to finish your cross stitch but when it comes to it i get tons stuff to do then cba to do it! :(

I'm exactly the same with my knitting really want to do it but just can't find the momentum to pick it up!!!

I think I'm just being sensitive :( she said I have to be consultant led so I can't give birth in my local hospital and will have to go to the hospital 45 minutes away. I asked if I could still go to them for my weekly blood tests (i have a low platelet count) and she said no it was tough. She then said I might have a transfusion and that I can't have an epidural, meaning if I have to have an emergency Caesarian they'd have to knock me out. She could see I was upset by it all but she was very blunt & basically told me to get a grip as i'm only 18 weeks then sent me away :(

Sorry for the long post!

Don't put up with that treatment! I don't care what their policy is you have a say too!
If they wont at least do your blood tests then you ask the GP.
If you get no joy go to PALS for patient liaison, you have rights.

Oh and I would refuse to see that cow again, you have THAT right too.
The woman at the birth of my babies was awful and ruined it all.

I'm exactly the same with my knitting really want to do it but just can't find the momentum to pick it up!!!

exactly!! ive been doing it for like 2 years haha! gets put away for months & i forget then see it an want to start again. i WILL finish it eventually!!

Thanks Shirleen, I think I will complain. They've done a few annoying things. Like they didn't give me a 16 week appt, they lost my maternity notes and they forgot my 12 week appt until I rang and chased it up. I'm a bit worried & stressed about it as it is and I didn't need her being mean :( x

The way they spoke to you isn't acceptable and you should definately make a complaint via PALS.

Medically though they can refuse to have you give birth at a specific centre if you dont meet their criteria - its not so much policy as a legal thing. Midwife led centres and other types of birthing units have strict criteria that theyre allowed to operate under, and aren't insured for anyone outside that criteria. So the centre would be in breech of its insurance and the midwives could potentially be struck off for operating outside of safe criteria.

It's not much comfort to you I'm sure, but it really is based on medical risk and although the midwife has explained it in a shockingly bad way, the decision will have been made with yours and little ones safety at heart xx

I didn't make myself clear I meant the blood tests, you do not have to make a 90 minute round trip for those.
But you do have the right to refuse to see this midwife.

Dyjhiw people start threads seemingly asking for advice, people take the time to reply and give them advice and then they don't respond at all half the time! Not necessarily on here of course ;)

I find this so annoying.

Sorry for the long post!

I find nurses are rather blunt & to the point & matter of fact, I know a few nurses and they're all the same, it doesn't mean they're not caring, they're just different types of people. Your midwife probably comes across women in your situation quiet a lot & has probably lost that sympathetic nature she probably once had.

I hope you're now feeling a little better.

jezzi999 said:
The way they spoke to you isn't acceptable and you should definately make a complaint via PALS.

Medically though they can refuse to have you give birth at a specific centre if you dont meet their criteria - its not so much policy as a legal thing. Midwife led centres and other types of birthing units have strict criteria that theyre allowed to operate under, and aren't insured for anyone outside that criteria. So the centre would be in breech of its insurance and the midwives could potentially be struck off for operating outside of safe criteria.

It's not much comfort to you I'm sure, but it really is based on medical risk and although the midwife has explained it in a shockingly bad way, the decision will have been made with yours and little ones safety at heart xx

Thanks :) I know it's for our own good that I can't give birth there as it is only a midwifery let unit. I was just upset at the way she told me. I thought they were suppose to be sensitive but almost every one I've met there has been short with me :( maybe they just find 1st time mums annoying because they don't know enough!

Happy Holidays said:
I find this so annoying.

I find nurses are rather blunt & to the point & matter of fact, I know a few nurses and they're all the same, it doesn't mean they're not caring, they're just different types of people. .

Ironically I'm a student nurse lol. I'm studying learning disabilities though, so maybe that's why I don't relate to all these other nurses lol

Thanks :) I know it's for our own good that I can't give birth there as it is only a midwifery let unit. I was just upset at the way she told me. I thought they were suppose to be sensitive but almost every one I've met there has been short with me :( maybe they just find 1st time mums annoying because they don't know enough!

Ironically I'm a student nurse lol. I'm studying learning disabilities though, so maybe that's why I don't relate to all these other nurses lol

You can change things though! Something happened to me when I had a miscarriage concerning blood tests, it caused unnecessary trauma because of their stupid policies, I spoke to a lovely Sister and she urged me to complain. I did and they changed this policy as it caused severe distress. I got a letter with a full apology and assurance that procedure had changed.
I like to think that although it was a time in my life that was terrible, some other woman never had to suffer this like I did.

*Emsie* said:
Dyjhiw people start threads seemingly asking for advice, people take the time to reply and give them advice and then they don't respond at all half the time! Not necessarily on here of course ;)

Exactly this!!!!!

Jenna88 said:
Well it will be awfully sad when said individual remains overweight as they can't handle constructive criticism and advice from people who are trying to help. It amazes me why people ask a question when they're not prepared for the answer.

Yeeeeeeah, course you can double your syns and ignore superfree and eat a massive pie and laugh it off! Why ever not! ;)

Back