Down with Spanx!

Thanks Michelle, I have been over to your thread and pinched the recipe:

Homemade Lentil and Bacon Soup

Red Split Lentils (bag of)

Bacon x 6 rashers cut into small pieces
Onions
Carrots
Potatoes (optional but good for your speed foods)
Knorr vegetable stock pot x 2
Salt and pepper

Wash Lentils thouroghly and place in a saucepan, add chopped onions, carrots, potatoes, stock pots, and salt and pepper... Add water just above the level of all ingredients. Leave to boil with lid on for approx 30 mins whilst stirring occasionally. Keep the water topped up to just above the ingredients level and leave to boil for a further 30 mins. The soup is ready when the lentils have turned soft and have changed colour into an orange colour. I eat it like this but you may want to blend.

You can also adapt this to a slow cooker as I have many times before done it in the slow cooker.

Enjoy as this tastes gorgeous
:D

What size bag of lentils? I have a small one and a big one in my cupboard!!!

I am afraid I am very unadventurous when it comes to decorating - everything is either white/off white or light beige! I tend to have large, brightly coloured prints on the walls, so they provide the colour - at least that's my excuse! :D

Another good day - I'm feeling really motivated this week - long may it last!

I am consciously trying to drink more water (well, weak NAS squash) this week. The hot weather today has helped in that regard, but I think I've managed at least 1.5l of water a day, as well as my usual 4 or 5 cups of coffee, so let's see if that makes a difference this week.

Monday: Green
Brekkie: Crunchy bran (HEB), ff yoghurt, strawberries
Lunch: Baked potato, beans, cheese (HEA)
Dinner: Mushy pea curry with chicken (HEB), boiled rice
Snack: ff yoghurt, strawberries, KitKat (5.5 syns)

Syns today: 5.5
Week so far: 11

Tonight I officially died and went to heaven!

I was perusing the recipe thread, looking for ideas for my challenge, when I came across the recipe for Quark cheesecake... Now generally, I can take or leave puddings, apart from two... rhubarb crumble and cheesecake. So I decided I had to try it...

It's just a 250g pot of quark, mixed with two sachets of white choc options, spread over 2 slightly warmed (so you can squash it down) alpen lights (I used double choc, the new flavour, yummy!). That makes enough for 2 portions. The whole thing is 1 HEB and 4 syns and it's lovely! Very rich and creamy and tastes like cheesecake - result! :D

Good job I was very good for the rest of the day to make up for it!

Tuesday: Green
Brekkie: Crunchy bran (HEB), strawberries, ff yoghurt
Snack: Apple
Dinner: Pasta, ratatouille with tomatoes, onions, leeks, mushrooms, courgettes and red pepper, cheese (HEA)
Snack: Quark cheesecake (half HEB + 2 syns), strawberries

Syns today: 2
Week so far: 13 :D

Tonight I officially died and went to heaven!

I was perusing the recipe thread, looking for ideas for my challenge, when I came across the recipe for Quark cheesecake... Now generally, I can take or leave puddings, apart from two... rhubarb crumble and cheesecake. So I decided I had to try it...

It's just a 250g pot of quark, mixed with two sachets of white choc options, spread over 2 slightly warmed (so you can squash it down) alpen lights (I used double choc, the new flavour, yummy!). That makes enough for 2 portions. The whole thing is 1 HEB and 4 syns and it's lovely! Very rich and creamy and tastes like cheesecake - result! :D

Good job I was very good for the rest of the day to make up for it!

Snack: Apple
Dinner: Pasta, ratatouille with tomatoes, onions, leeks, mushrooms, courgettes and red pepper, cheese (HEA)
Snack: Quark cheesecake (half HEB + 2 syns), strawberries

Syns today: 2
Week so far: 13 :D

Mmmmmm that sounds yummy! I think I may have to try that as well as I LOVEEEE cheesecake and it is without a doubt my favourite dessert ever! :D Thanks for the heads up Spanx x

Loving your food and exercise challenge.I t's good trying new recipes keeps the food varied.I'm going to the shops in the morning to get some quark and white choc options that sounds yummy!!! I had a double chocolate alpen bar yesterday wow now they are nice don't you just love sw:Dx

Oh dear - I hope I haven't led you both astray Michelle and Surreygal!!!

It is lush though, isn't it?!

Michelle, did you see I'd asked about what size bag of lentils for your soup? I've checked my bags now and they are 250g and 500g. I'm going to assume to use the 250g bag, unless you tell me different!

Well, I had another good day on Wednesday, but the fact that I got held up at lunchtime and didn't get to the cafe until late rather scuppered today!

Wednesday: Green
Lunch: Pasta, ratatouille, cheese (HEA)
Dinner: Baked potato, ratatouille (made a hue portion and then realised there was no space in the freezer for it!)
Snack: Quark cheesecake (2 syns and half HEB), strawberries, KitKat (5.5 syns)

Syns today: 7.5

Thursday: Green
Lunch: Cheese and potato pie (no butter or oil in it, but lots of cheese...going to count 2 HEA and 6 syns), beans
Snack: Banana
Dinner: Gammon (HEB), large salad, baked potato
Snack: KitKat (5.5 syns)

Syns today: 11.5

Week so far: 32

Last edited:
Sorry, warning - too much information on the way!

I have been so bloated and constipated the last week or so, I feel rubbish. Have had a sore throat and blocked sinuses for a few days, but can't see how that would affect my stomach...:confused:

So, that means that despite a good week, I'm not hopeful of a good result at WI. Still, it will show itself sooner or later, I hope!

Am feeling a little despondent today. A friend put some photos on Facebook last night. They were taken last October, when I had lost just over 2 stone and was 2 stone heavier than I am now. I remember thinking I looked OK that day (it was a wedding) - I was wearing new clothes in a smaller size and feeling quite good. But looking at the photos last night I just wanted to cry, I looked so awful. :(

Now I know that I've lost another 2 stone since then, but it was a bit of a shock... made me think that perhaps I don't look as good now as I think I do! :eek:

Then I was looking at my weight loss spreadsheet this morning (checking how much I weighed when those photos were taken!) and realised that I'm falling well behind my target schedule, mainly due to my holiday. Really need to get my backside in gear and make some progress!

Apologies, I'm sure my pity-party won't last long...!

Anyway, Friday was another good day:

Friday: Green
Dinner: Mushy pea curry with chicken (HEB) and mushrooms, boiled rice
Snacks: KitKat (5.5 syns), Alpen light (3 syns), strawberries, ff yoghurt

Syns today: 8.5

Week so far: 40.5

Poor you Spanx, but you HAVE lost another 2 stone since then. As we lose weight we reset our 'norms'. I felt fantastic at 14 stone having lost 3 and a half stone already but that doesn't mean now at 12 stone 1.5 lbs this morning (obviously official WI is tomorrow) that I would feel great back at 14 stone now. I looked great then compared to the start so I had every right to feel proud. However I have moved on and don't want to be back there.

Just look at the photos and be proud that you're not that person any more.

Hope your tummy sorts itself out soon. Big hugs.

Gail x

P.S. Thanks for the cheesecake recipe. I am going to try tonight. Haven't used quark before except stirred into hot food but fingers crossed !! I will let you know how I get on :)

Sent from my iPhone

OMG Spanx. You are my new best friend. I am just tucking into my quark cheesecake. Oh Wow. I am in heaven. The strawberries are simply amazing and I love the quark with white chocolate options. OMG.................................... :D

Gail x

Hey Spanx,
Sorry I have only just seen that you replied to me... I did reply on my diary where you asked me which size bag to use and to be honest it doesn't really matter as long as you only keep the water level just above the ingredients line :) You can play about with the soup alot (thats the beauty of soup) and you can make as much or as little as you require.

Hey and whats all this pity party? You ARE 2 stone lighter since those pics and that is fantastic! Download the photo from facebook to your own computer and put it side by side a photo of you now and I am 100% sure you will see a dramatic difference... or try on the outfit you were wearing to the wedding and I bet it is huge on you now! It will make you feel alot better and hopefully alot more positive x x x

Poor you Spanx, but you HAVE lost another 2 stone since then. As we lose weight we reset our 'norms'. I felt fantastic at 14 stone having lost 3 and a half stone already but that doesn't mean now at 12 stone 1.5 lbs this morning (obviously official WI is tomorrow) that I would feel great back at 14 stone now. I looked great then compared to the start so I had every right to feel proud. However I have moved on and don't want to be back there.

Just look at the photos and be proud that you're not that person any more.

Hope your tummy sorts itself out soon. Big hugs.

Gail x

P.S. Thanks for the cheesecake recipe. I am going to try tonight. Haven't used quark before except stirred into hot food but fingers crossed !! I will let you know how I get on :)

Sent from my iPhone

OMG Spanx. You are my new best friend. I am just tucking into my quark cheesecake. Oh Wow. I am in heaven. The strawberries are simply amazing and I love the quark with white chocolate options. OMG.................................... :D

Gail x

Thanks Gail - you talk complete sense as usual! I think it was just a bit of a shock to see those photos on my FB page when I woke up this morning, and, more than that, to think of other people seeing them and remembering how fat I was! (Although most of them saw me regularly and probably don't need any reminding!)

I apologise profusely for tempting you off the straight and narrow with the Quark Cheesecake tip - it's dangerously gorgeous isn't it?! Good job it's only 1HEB and 4 syns for the lot, and a doubly good job that it's so rich you can't eat more than half of it in one sitting!

I'm going to try it with Belgian Choc options next...*drool*

Hey Spanx,
Sorry I have only just seen that you replied to me... I did reply on my diary where you asked me which size bag to use and to be honest it doesn't really matter as long as you only keep the water level just above the ingredients line :) You can play about with the soup alot (thats the beauty of soup) and you can make as much or as little as you require.

Hey and whats all this pity party? You ARE 2 stone lighter since those pics and that is fantastic! Download the photo from facebook to your own computer and put it side by side a photo of you now and I am 100% sure you will see a dramatic difference... or try on the outfit you were wearing to the wedding and I bet it is huge on you now! It will make you feel alot better and hopefully alot more positive x x x

Thanks Michelle - sorry, I'd missed your reply!

You must have been sending me telepathic instructions earlier, because trying on the outfit is exactly what I did - and do you know what? The skirt (non-elasticated) fell down over my hips and the cardigan almost went around me twice... so I immediately felt much better!

Actually it prompted me to try a load of other things on and I now have 3 more bags full of stuff for the local charity shop!!! :D

Thank you both for your thoughts and support. xxx

Anyway, despite feeling a bit low and also a bit bleugh, I had a good SW day.

I made a big slow cooker full of an Italian spicy chicken and veg sauce, which provided dinner for my son and I and two extra portions for the fridge - bonus!

Saturday: EE
Brunch: Crunchy bran (HEB), ff yoghurt, strawberries
Dinner: Pasta with spicy chicken and veg (chicken, passata, garlic, chilli, basil, onions, mushrooms, courgette, red pepper), cheese (HEA)
Snacks: Banana, apple, strawberries, ff yoghurt, KitKat (5.5 syns)

Syns for the week: 46

So, WI tomorrow - still not hopeful, but also no longer despondent!

Another 1lb off this morning. Not over the moon with that, had hoped for better, but I'm becoming resigned to the fact that 1lb a week is all I can manage at the moment.

Still, at least it's a loss and at least I'm losing consistently...

So I've finally seen 12st 7lbs on the scales and am now only 1lb away from my 4.5st shiny...roll on next week!

Feeling rather more positive this evening... (thanks goodness I hear you say!)

I just decided to sit and take stock for a while. So, I looked at those horrid photos my friend put on FB yesterday, then I looked at 'that' wetsuit pic, and a few others from that same holiday and then I went and looked in the mirror. And do you know what? I no longer look like a fat person. Yes, I still look overweight, but I don't look obese. And, more importantly, I don't feel obese.

I ran 5K...
I can shop in 'normal' shops...
I don't eat junk food...
I eat lots of fruit and veg...
I don't turn to food when I'm bored or miserable...
I only have 1 chin (well, ok then, 1 and a half!)...
I am in control...

Yay me!

Sunday: Green
Dinner: Chicken (HEB), pasta, spicy veg sauce
Snack: Strawberries, ff yoghurt, KitKat (5.5 syns)

Good on you Spanx. That's the attitude.

And what you have just written is totally true. You are no longer obese and you have come a long way.

Well done on your lb and on continuing to have a fantastic attitude.

Gail x

Yay Spanx so glad you are feeling more positive:) well done on your loss.Be very proud you are doing a fantastic job.xx

Hey we all beat ourselves up at times & get despondant (I did over the weekend after a STS on friday) but what matters is that we all keep going & we are all getting there. I have a few pics on my FB that I have thought about deleting or untagging myself in but then I think its a good reminder of how far I have come already & it also helps keep me on track if I am tempted to slip up. I'm glad to hear you are feeling more positive though... onwards & downwards ;)

Thank you lovely ladies!

I'm feeling much more upbeat now - as I've often said to others, it doesn't matter if you're a hare or a tortoise, as long as you keep on going. I really ought to make sure I'm practising what I preach!

I worked out this morning, as I opened my 3rd punnet of strawberries this week, that my current strawberry habit is costing me £12 a week!!!! Thank goodness they're not in season all year...:eek:

Monday: EE
Lunch: Baked potato, chicken and veggie pasta
Dinner: Quorn sausage, oven chips (3 syns), huge salad
Snack: Banana, KitKat (5.5 syns), strawberries

Syns today: 8.5

Week so far: 14

That strawberry habit is getting very expensive!! Me & hubby polished off another punnet tonight & then fought over the last one!!! :eek: We deliberately saved them til the kids went to bed or we wouldnt have had a look in!!!!! lol

Another half a punnet for me for brekkie! 'Hello, my name is Spanx and I'm a strawboholic...'

Lunch: Baked potato, beans, brown sauce (1 syn), apple
Dinner: Pasta, ratatouille, cheese (HEA)
Snack: KitKat (5.5 syns)

Syns today: 6.5
Week so far: 20.5

Back