Dreaded aeroplane seats.

juicylucy.xx

Silver Member
Hiya all, I have a question on u guessed it, the dreaded aeroplane seats. I'm going away in may to Italy and were booked on an easy jet plane. I just wondered what people's biggest size was when they went on a plane. As I'm sooo worried about not being able to do the seatbelt up. I'm a size 24 at present. Hoping to b a 22 by then.x

Hi. I'm a 20/22 and have found most planes ok. Admittedly sometimes right at the end of the belt! I stress over it too :eek:
Mind you most of my weight is around my middle and you might be different.

Hope that helps x

You know that you can usually buy seat belt extenders from eBay (I'm guessing they're 'taken' from planes after people have borrowed them). That way you don't have to embarrass yourself by asking for one if you find that you can't do the belt up or sit in utter discomfort!

It's the worst part about going on holiday for sure!!

Hi,

I think at a 22 you will be ok. I have done alot of flying at heavy weight. With BA I didnt need the extension til I was 21 stone or about dress size 26. They keep them at the back of the plane but if you just say to the greeter at the front they will bring one very discreetly.Thomas Cook flights I found slightly more of a squeeze and deffo needed one around the 20 stone mark. Ditto thomson. Much more hit and miss but I would avoid buying an extender on ebay as i'm sure they only use their own on each flight and are different colours anyway..

When I was very heavy around 24 stone I once enquired with BA about if I would fit in the seat! They told me they like larger passengers in the ailse seat next to a passenger in their own party. They also said they will relocate you next to an empty seat if they have one and a couple of times this did happen to me when I was travelling with my daughter. They just came up and said we have some seats further up the plane which may be more comfortable for you.

I've booked a flight for 3 months time and thankfully know it will be fine. You never know I might even get the table down this time:D

Try not to worry about it.

Oh dear, the dreaded table! Another thing I worry about. If the person in front puts their seat back I worry even more. There is nothing worse than having to lean on the bleeping thing to stop it tilting away from you as it rests on your tummy!!

I travelled with virgin in august, in the premium seating... I am around a 22/24 and found the 10 hour flight uncomfortable, even with the bigger seats, they are meant to be a few inches wider but the arm rests do not go up to make more room and the remote for the tv is wedged down the side of the arm rest :( I too spent ages worrying about fitting in the seat as most of my weight is on my bum and thighs. Definately felt huge relief when I managed to squeeze in, and had to ask for an extender :(. And I had the bloody tv stuck on one Chanel cos my butt was too squished in to reach the remote haha. Flying economy this August and am on my way to fitting in a regular seat fine, as I never want to experience that worry I felt ever again! Even so, I think economy is the better option a you can move the arm rests so you can make more room if need be :) not to worry! /rambleofthecentury

Hello,

I have flown fairly regularly at around a size 22 and don't tend to have problems. Sometimes like someone else said it's right at the end of the belt, but I've not had to ask for an extension yet.

Have a lovely time!

I flew on EasyJet this time last year. I was 21.5 stone and size 26 bottom. I needed a seatbelt extender but the seats themselves weren't too bad. I was sat next to my husband so I think we just raised the arm in between us for most of the flight, plus I sat next to the window as that usually gives you some extra space to lean into. The flight attendants were very discreet at giving me the extender - I think I just made a motion at them and they understood!

Last time I flew was in Jul / August last year. I was a size 26 and probably about 20.5st, and I needed a seat extender with RyanAir. After asking the first time a few years ago on a BMI fight, I got over the embarassment, and have just brazenly asked!

We're going on holiday end of April, and I've lost a bit... it would be nice not to need an extender this time!

Hi there hun just wanted to say that I'm cabin crew for Easyjet, although I cant say if the belt will fit u or not I just wanted to say that u shouldn't be embarrassed atall at asking for an extension we are trained to be discreet and would defiantly prefer u to be comfortable most crew hand out loads of belts every week and nothing is thought about it! If ure worried about space id suggest row 1e or 1f as there are the most spacious seats onboard! Try not to worry ull be fine xxx

tani said:
Hi there hun just wanted to say that I'm cabin crew for Easyjet, although I cant say if the belt will fit u or not I just wanted to say that u shouldn't be embarrassed atall at asking for an extension we are trained to be discreet and would defiantly prefer u to be comfortable most crew hand out loads of belts every week and nothing is thought about it! If ure worried about space id suggest row 1e or 1f as there are the most spacious seats onboard! Try not to worry ull be fine xxx

Aww... That's really helpful. I always thought they'd be mocking me!

Seatbelts differ hugely too!! I went away last June with Thomson at 32 weeks pregnant (back @ 34 weeks with Dr note) and about 20+ stone and the seatbelt fit perfectly! I still asked for an extension because I wanted people to know I was pregnant and not bigger than I was!! Doh!

Seatbelts differ hugely too!! I went away last June with Thomson at 32 weeks pregnant (back @ 34 weeks with Dr note) and about 20+ stone and the seatbelt fit perfectly! I still asked for an extension because I wanted people to know I was pregnant and not bigger than

Love that. I was always like that when I was pregnant. As I didn't want people to just think I was fat.lol. So u make it obviously that ur pregnant.x

Back