Dress sizes and weight loss

bluecatlady

Hi all.:)
I don't know if this is a previous topic or not (I could not spot a similar one) but I was just looking for any suggestions on rough weights per dress size for my height 5,8 but of course all post are welcome for others to compare.

My reason for this post is I’m trying to motive myself with thoughts along the lines of when I weigh X much I should be dress size X-X = I can buy smaller clothes YAY!!!

I understand that dress size v weight varies per person dependent on body shape/if you have had children etc (and lets not even go into the complexities of boob size!) but I would love to have a general discussion for approximate ideas.

I have trawled the internet but I’ve found that most boards discussing this only cater for the size 16 and below group as no one wants to publish their dress size if Horror of horrors they are the national average (16) or above.

I personally am a 26 top, 28 bottom at starting weight on the left hand side.

I am wondering at what rough weight I can expect to be a size 18-20 and actually shop in ‘normal’ shops at last!!

All information and motivation gratefully received!! :D

Last edited:
I was a size 14 at 159lbs, im 5ft 5" sorry if thats not much help :s

Thank you for the post, great someone has helped me get the ball rolling and of course it's helpfull, I'm sure someone can use the information.
Thank you!

I think my body always stops on half sizes! lol I'm 5'7 and when I weighed 17.9, I was wearing size 22 bottoms (but were slightly too big) and size 20 tops, I weigh 14.4 now and I'm wearing size 18 bottoms and size 18/20 tops, my bottom half seems to be shrinking more then my top half, I bought a size 18 jacket and it's too small :( and my sister gave me a size 18 top which was too tight but my size 20 tops are baggy!! Grrrr...it's all very weird!! I have no idea what size I'll be when I get to 11stone, (which is my goal) :confused: Hope I helped a little bit lol :D

Hmm - good question and agree body shape is the key issue. I'm 5'8" too so hopefully that helps. I have big shoulders and hips though - grew out of a 12 when i was 12 and very skinny lol

Will do my best but sorry all in kilos so you'll have to adjust
Start weight 112kg size 22 top and squeezing into tight 24 trousers from m&s
May last year 95kg and wearing size 18 monsoon evening top and stretchy size 18 skirt
Now 80kg and top is 12/14 depending on stretch. Trousers are 16 in m&s but not all shapes fit.

Sizes for me dropped faster on top - then bottom seemed to catch up. Often when i stalled slightly on weight then i lost more inches - bodies really wierd!

Anyhow - good luck:D

Ps bought a size 12 dress in the monsoon sales that looks great - proves the sizing is meaningless!

"I think my body always stops on half sizes!" , "I bought a size 18 jacket and it's too small :( and my sister gave me a size 18 top which was too tight but my size 20 tops are baggy!! Grrrr...it's all very weird!!"

Thanks for the post Amethyst, I completly agree on the half size thing, I'm always a not a 26 but bit tight for a 24 (saying that I'm wearing a size 18 vest top under my jumper right now lol, go figure). I have noticed usually us curvier girls (the not size 10 variety) seem to have very differnt top to bottom clothes sizes.

I'm with you on the clothes of differnt sizes not fitting I have items from a size 18 to a 28 in my wardrobe, all fit but in very different ways and with differnt bits not fiftting. Also the mad part is my clothes only come from one high street shop and one online retailer and they still differ madly in cut! If ONLY shops would standardise, across all brands and designers!

Thanks for the contribution! Got a way to go before I'm as mini as you!:)

Hmm - good question and agree body shape is the key issue. I'm 5'8" too so hopefully that helps. I have big shoulders and hips though

Will do my best but sorry all in kilos so you'll have to adjust

Ps bought a size 12 dress in the monsoon sales that looks great - proves the sizing is meaningless!

Hi there Kat1e and thank you also for the reply.

Kilos are not a problem I have a handy table lbs to kilo table for comparison!

Body shape seems to completely be the key as I too grew out of smaller sizes quite young and though I was also still pretty skinny I certainly didn’t feel it being so broad and tall in bigger clothes around my much shorter size 6 friends.

Your information is actually very useful to me because our builds sound similar and although I am starting at a much height weight than you did you give me hope since you are at the target dress size and weight I had in mind!

And Monsoon is actually the shop I am aiming for so bravo girlie, I love their clothes, so wonderfully colorful.

Well done on your weight loss and for achieving your target.
:)

A few years back when I dieted using xenical I started at a size 24, and after a loss of 4 stone I was only just a size 22.
Oh and I'm 5'5.

I'm 5'8 & currently 13st 3 & am wearing a 12 at the moment :)

I'm a size 18-20 and 5th 4ins x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Thanks for the added info vicki82.
I can't wait to be a 18-20myself and though I know it's not an end goal in itself it's in the right direction!

Hope eveyrthiong is going well :D

A few years back when I dieted using xenical I started at a size 24, and after a loss of 4 stone I was only just a size 22.
Oh and I'm 5'5.

Hello there fellow fan of all things Blue.

Your weight losses are huge you must be really pleased! :jelous:

And I've have a thought about loss, It seems from my research that when into the 8-14 dress size bracket it seems to be about a stone per dress size to gain or lose but as we get bigger (like myself) it becomes much more weight per size.

If anyone can comment on that thought I'd be interested to hear of experience.

You lost 4 stone last time and loads so far this time, that's awsome!

Thanks for the info

I'm 5'8 & currently 13st 3 & am wearing a 12 at the moment :)

OOh 5,8 and and a 12 at 13stone, thats pretty similar to Kat1e
who posted above. Super usefull to me personally, and you've lost so much weight, that's amazing, well done! I just hope I can do as well.

Thank you so much for your information! You two have given me a nice concrete area to aim for. YAY!

I have put on four stone in the last ten years but have only gone up one dress size, from a sixteen to an eighteen....twenty if I want to be really comfortable. I am 5ft 6 and last time I was 11 and a half stone I managed to get into a size 12 pair of trousers....once I get into the 12/13 stone bracket I'm hoping for a 14/16 and a very comfortable 18 at the 14 stone mark!!! Lets see....dropping a clothing size or being able to be comfortable in clothes you love rather than having to suck in all the time will be lovely!! xx

OOh 5,8 and and a 12 at 13stone, thats pretty similar to Kat1e
who posted above. Super usefull to me personally, and you've lost so much weight, that's amazing, well done! I just hope I can do as well.

Thank you so much for your information! You two have given me a nice concrete area to aim for. YAY!

Glad to be of help. My weightloss has plateaued a bit but I've been doing kettleworx (a kettle bell DVD) so have been loosing a lot of inches. Just hoping the scales will catch up a bit soon :eek:

dropping a clothing size or being able to be comfortable in clothes you love rather than having to suck in all the time will be lovely!! xx

Thank you for the info Peacedove.
Personally, like you, I'll be happy to feel comfortable in what I buy rather than as you so rightly say sucking it in a bit. lol

Glad to be of help. My weightloss has plateaued a bit but I've been doing kettleworx (a kettle bell DVD) so have been loosing a lot of inches. Just hoping the scales will catch up a bit soon :eek:

You're only about a stone and a half from your goal weight and I hear the last stone is the one you have to work on most because it is really about toning up. Think of all that awsome muscle you are putting on which as I understand it in turn will burn fat more efficiantly not that you can possibly have much left! :jelous:

I personally think inches are probably more important when you are nearly there as muscle will look a lot sleeker than wobbly bits. Rock that DVD girl! :D

Bravo you!

Great thread - I hope more people post their weights and sizes.

I'm 5ft6 (which was a bit of a suprise as I thought I was 5ft7) and was 26-28 with some 24s at 300 lbs. I'm now in the 260s - and the 24 trews fit well and are loosening whilst the 26 trews are far too loose on the waist. My thighs haven't slimmed - mostly visceral fat then from the belly and one side of my hips. Yup. I'm lopsided at the mo.

Ali

Hello there fellow fan of all things Blue.

Your weight losses are huge you must be really pleased! :jelous:

And I've have a thought about loss, It seems from my research that when into the 8-14 dress size bracket it seems to be about a stone per dress size to gain or lose but as we get bigger (like myself) it becomes much more weight per size.

If anyone can comment on that thought I'd be interested to hear of experience.

You lost 4 stone last time and loads so far this time, that's awsome!

Thanks for the info

Thank you hun :) I am pretty chuffed with my loss so far.
I can lose weight fairly easily but I get bored after a little while and fall off the wagon!

I've also found that with smaller clothes sizes people tend to lose 1 stone and so 1 dress size but as you get bigger you need to lose more weight to drop a dress size, not sure why that is.

I think the reason I dropped 4 stone and had only dropped 1 size is I'm an apple shape (so big middle) and the weight I was losing was coming off other areas (legs, face, chest, arms but NOT my belly) so not affecting the size clothes I was wearing....hope that makes some sense :D

Great thread - I hope more people post their weights and sizes.

I'm 5ft6 (which was a bit of a suprise as I thought I was 5ft7) and was 26-28 with some 24s at 300 lbs. I'm now in the 260s - and the 24 trews fit well and are loosening whilst the 26 trews are far too loose on the waist. My thighs haven't slimmed - mostly visceral fat then from the belly and one side of my hips. Yup. I'm lopsided at the mo.

Ali

Thank you for the info AliGal.

You're a couple of inches shorter than me AND you have just sparked a debate in my house!
You started out nearly 4 stone lighter than me but the same dress size. My brain thought, hmm that’s odd, then my housemate pointed out to me that it's a 3" difference at the level of my core so of course I'm significantly heavier than someone who is shorter, while we both fit the same dress size as I basically have 3"more waist volume (scary) as dress size is circumference not volume or height. Da-da! Might be obvious but not something I have ever really considered in depth (and I feel a little silly for not having considered it before…*shame*)
For example I have a friend who is 6,2 and although slender she is a good couple of stone heavier than you would expect looking at her, in fact she gets harassed by her doctor to loose weight, the girls a sixe 12… sigh BMI rubbish at it’s best.

Also,
260 was my thinking for 24ish so that is good news. And I hear belly fat is the stuff to lose for health so yay you!

And one side? That’s odd sounding but defiantly very individual!:D
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Back