Attack Dukan muffins - savoury... but can be sweet

How much sweetener needs to go in?

Hi CB I use 1.5 spoons of oat bran, 1 spoon of yoghurt, 1.5 candarel, 1 egg and splash of flavourings does me of an evening :)

I just made chocolate muffins, ok. I put some cocoa powder into the mixture. I have tried them sweetened, with splenda, / sweetened and flavoured with cinnamon, sweetened and flavoured with vanilla. They have all turned out lovely, but I'm afraid I cant stand them....
I have made the bread, even did it with yeast.... Still very hard going. It takes me at least 5 mins to eat 1/2 a muffin, and they are small, or 4 mins to eat a slice of bread (1.5" X 3") and 1cm thick. I have made the porridge, still takes me a minute to chew a teasp. Mixing the bran with yoghurt is probably the simplest way of taking the bran, but I wish there was another way. I am not a yoghurt eater either, but am finding some rather nice ones that are either fat free or low fat.
I would love to hear of any other ways of taking in the bran. Oh, I've tried the galette too, not a runner either.

Lyonsie, what about as a crunchy coating for chicken, fish cakes, 'scotch eggs', etc?

How about mixed in with some mashed swede or cauliflower on a PV day?

Hope you find something palatable!

P x

I thought it might be an idea to post my recipe in its own thread, rather than directing new people to a specific page of our recipe thread.

Here goes:

Dukan Muffins - alternative to galette/pancake
(Make 12 muffins, 4 days' worth of oats - Cruise phase. Freeze well.)

8 x tablespoons oatbran*
(* if on attack, only 6 tablespoons for four days' muffins)
4 x tablespoons wheatbran*
(*skip if on attack or if no "transit" issues)
4 x tablespoons of fat free fromage frais or quark
4 eggs (separated; you can lose a yolk without noticing! I tend to use 5 whites and 3 yolks)
tip of teaspoon baking powder (optional... I often forget!)

AND, if savoury, some cubed smoked salmon, other smoked fish, ham, chicken, whatever... I also put 1/3 of a crabstick on each.

OR, if sweet, some sweetener, and flavouring of your choice...

1. Preheat your oven to Gas Mark 6 (200°C)

2. Prepare your filling. I chop a piece of smoked salmon or fish into 12 little squares, and 3 crabsticks into 12 little pieces.

3. In a large bowl, place your oatbran, [wheatbran], fromage frais/quark and egg yolks, and mix with a spoon.

4. Then whisk egg whites until firm, and incorporate rapidly.

5. SAVOURY ONES - half fill 12 muffin moulds, quickly pop one piece of fish in each, then fill remaining, popping piece of crabstick on top.
5. SWEET ONES - spoon in sweetener, flavouring, and quickly into your 12 muffin moulds.

Straight into oven... no messing so as not to lose the air!

20 mins in ventilated oven... 30 in normal oven, I have to turn mine round after 20 in the normal oven.

(and I have them almost every day for breakfast...)

These were YUM!!!
Mine didn't rise so will because I'd never whisked up egg whites before and did it in a plastic mixing bowl. FAIL!
Still lovely though and enjoyed one for brekkie this morning with a vanilla yoghurt :)

IMG00103-20120429-0913.jpg

Never tried the ones with salmon in, bought a pack of salmon trimmings yesterday so will try that in my next batch x

Has anyone tried different types of oatbran? Some might be coarser than others.... I use 'Flahavans' and I find it quite coarse... is it?

Weighing in tomorrow, so fingers crossed....

Oh. My. God.

Made these this morning. Went for savory ones as I don't have a sweet tooth. Salmon muffins for breakfast YUMMY!!!

Halved the ingredients as I wasn't sure if I'd like them, I made half just salmon and half salmon and asparagus for my PV tomorrow.

Highly recommend these!!!!

Back