Dukan Newbie

-Pudding-

Hi all

I'm new around here, but certainly not new to dieting :eek:

I've probably done every diet going and the most weight I ever lost was about 10 years ago on Atkins...but I had qualms about the amount of fat I was eating and stopped. So given that Dukan is basically low-fat Atkins I was attracted!

Anyway, I have a lot to lose - 100lbs! I started Dukan on Sunday and have lost 4lbs so far this week. Given the amount I have to lose I'm going to be doing the Attack phase for 8 days.

I've been having oat bran (Tesco have 500g bags of it in their wholefood section) and Quark pancakes for breakfast with a slice of smoked salmon on top. Lunch I've been marinading a sliced chicken breast fillet in Total 0% yogurt with curry or fajita spice mixes then doing it on a griddle and having it with cottage cheese.

Dinner last night was garlic-smeared rump steak with baked eggs and the night before I did a couple of salmon fillets steamed with soy, ginger and garlic.

Early days but I'm enjoying it so far but just being careful to drink enough because I have gout in the family and really don't want to get it (Again! I got it for the first time on Atkins).

Anyway..I look forward to getting to know people :D

welcome to dukan and good luck, your menu sounds tasty so far :)

Hi there

My sympathies on the gout - my boss suffers, and several friends over the years.

From what I understand, Dukan might trigger your gout, as it is very high in protein, which, as you know, is one of the risk factors.

My boss had some tips to pass on (we've discussed Dukan in the past):

Take Vitamin C supplements, eat plenty of dairy products, drink lots of black coffee - as these have some protective effect.

Consider reducing the time on attack, and increasing the pro-portions of pv to pp days - just to avoid overloading your body with protein/uric acid and triggering gout.

He also sympathises - weight is an issue for him too, as apparently the same genetic factors that cause gout can also cause metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance, which lead to an oversensitivity to crabs and weight gain.

Have you ever been tested for insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome, or raised these issues with a GP? If you are insulin resistant you may find that a prescription of metformin, in conjunction with diet, may help.

Hi .. have started Dukan today .. last year I lost a stone in 6 weeks doing this diet .. but went back to my old 'carb' ways and didn't follow the diet through completely! I am now back to my old weight (10 stone 9lbs) and am starting Dukan again! I know it's not the easiest diet to follow but I also know that the weight does drop off quickly after a few weeks perseverance!

I would love some back up as I live in a remote spot and don't have any family around or friends who need to diet!!!! :wave_cry:

I agree, your menus sound delish! Best of luck & I'll be coming to your for more menu ideas :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Welcome and good luck! :)

Welcome to you, and to delicate too!

Have you ever been tested for insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome, or raised these issues with a GP? If you are insulin resistant you may find that a prescription of metformin, in conjunction with diet, may help.

Some wonderful advice there - many thanks! I've never been tested for insulin resistance no; unless that's the same test as for diabetes? I've had a few of those and they came back normal.

I was wondering, what is a baked egg?

Oh those are a nice little treat I used to do in my Atkins days.

Basically you line the cups of a non-stick muffin tray with slices of lean ham. In a bowl mix up some eggs and a few spoons or quark. Pour into the wells made by the ham and bake for about 15 minutes in a medium oven. It's sort of like an omelette in a ham case.

You can do lots of variants; put some herbs in, onion/garlic and if you're on the protein/veg days try mixing in some veg.

They keep well in the fridge and make a good quick snack.

Back