Early start to NY resolution - want to join me?

Morning! At work today - hence the early post! I don't really have too much of a programme. I try to get out 3x a week for a short, medium and long run. My standard long run is 5 of 6 miles and if i've got a half mara coming up i increase that by a mile a week until the week before the big day. My shorter runs are with a running club which makes sure i'm not slacking with speed (cos i am a plodder!) and another one with a couple of the girls from the club that live near by.... i'm also definately a fair weather runner! no prob at all in the summer months, but in the winter i'm a little bit more "choosey" about whether i actually make it out the door!! Although there's more of an incentive if you think people are keeping an eye on you!! I don't think it's helping me with losing, but it helps me "get away" with more i guess! And it's definately helped in shaping and toning...but need help on the top half too! What you all up to today?

Morning all! Well today I am wlking like John Wayne :eek: my quads are SO stiff! I keep telling myself it's a good feeling! What's a little lactic acid? We live in the sticks and our roads are like an ice rink at the mo so I shall stick to the front room.
With the More workouts you can transfer your stats from the original across, but you don't seem to be able to combine them for a challenge. I think I'd do the 30 days but you could dip in and out . The resistance exercises are different and I feel far more effective. I like the squash , boxing , and water skiing for a change.
I shall do something this afternoon.

Hi ladies, hope you don't mind me popping in for a bit..

My resolution is to exercise atleast 4 times a week, I need the serotonin boost! Your posts are motivating me to get off my bum and do it.. especially since I know that I'll feel so much better afterwards. :)

P.S I used to live in Shetland, my Mum & wee sis still do. It must be difficult running outside with all that wind and snow!

Oh okay, as long as you know what you're doing.
My training programme is 3/4 runs per week at 4-6 miles then a long run of about 10+ miles.
I make sure to do 27 miles per week now.
I am going to start attending a running club as well to get some interval training to pep up my speed for 5/10k runs, but this is something that is more for 'serious' running, not just to keep fit.

I take two yoga classes per week to up my core stability, I find this better than practising at home - my coach is a meanie, I'll get myself into a comfortably exhilarating streach then along he comes and pulls one of my limbs till I yelp! He's a good guy, just makes me work hard :)

And just for fun, I do boxing training twice a week as well.

Oh... did I mention I walk at least 4.5 miles every day too?

I have a problem. But a fabulous one :p

No wonder you're only 4lbs off goal Cateka! Your exercise diary makes me feel tired just reading it!
Well it was a rest day on the challenge today so I did the upper body workout on More Workouts. Only 102 cals but I was really hot by the end.

Kinda hoping that what Cateka has is contagious...keep talking - we might catch it!!

Hey everyone. I managed my run and the EA Sports workout on the Wii too. I left it late again so I am going to have to get sorted out with my routine before I get back to work or I'll be a zombie.

Everyone seems to be doing really well - I pop on this in the morning and see that judimac and beccy have done something (and now cateka and millux too - welcome!) so I know I have to do something or I'll have to come and admit all on this!

My bum is really sore now - had to do three sets of 20 side-to-side jumps on the Wii and I nearly chucked the controller at the tv when the 'trainer' announced I was doing it for the last time. In fact I did chuck it on the floor when the bloomin' computer wouldn't register some of the exercises later on. Slight PMT I think!

And as for the running in the snow and the wind millux, I feel so much better after doing it when the weather isn't great - not that it doesn't make it super difficult to get out the door! I can't cope with hot weather coz it seems to make it even more difficult!

Right, off to bed. Night guys, talk in the morning.

Hi,
I'm trying to lose weight too and it's so cool that there's great encouragement here. wish i could be as motivated to stick to exercise as you guys!
I'm hoping to do 30 mins of either cycling (machine) or fitness dvd everyday. have done this before with success but alas winter months and work suck the life out of me. am not going to let winter win though, shall stick to it!
well done on all the working out, wii looks like a great way to actually get in shape, maybe i should have got that for xmas... :)

Ahhh...Shetland lass - I have to confess - I didn't do anything in the end yesterday! (Sharp intake of breath!). There were reasons/excuses - the main one being still sore from the 6 miler on NYE. Let that be a lesson to ye! S T R E T C H!!! Entirely my own fault! Oops! But - definately out for a 3 miler this afternoon... will report back later!

Hi NatB - well done for finding us! Here's a couple of q's for you - what did you do yesterday and what are you going to do today? We're watching you now!! Good luck and keep going!

Have a good Sunday!
x

Tut tut tut beccy! T hee! No worries, I reckon as long as we all do a little more than we have been doing before then we're doing really well. My NY resolution is to go for a run every day. I did it right up to half way through March last year then something came up at work and I stopped running and started eating! Felt so much better when I was doing it and it meant I could pretty much eat what I wanted. Some days it was just a very slow mile but I mixed it up on other days and did speed work, hills or longer runs when I felt able. Not feeling so able now as I'm aching a bit having just started again (that EA Sports is a killer!). Will be out again later but quite slow today I reckon!

NatB welcome. Good questions there from Beccy as well. Big Sisters are now watching us all!

Millux and Judi - awaiting updates from you two as well . . . Sounds like a workout day for you today judi. Hope you don't have any side-to-side jumps!

Update - I actually got out the door! Knocked out my 3 miler - thought i was struggling a bit and put it down to being out of puff....but managed my best time on that circuit... we're working!

Good luck getting started - i find that's the hardest after a break. But i also find the mental bit the hardest - remember when you first first started and didn't even know you could do it....well at least now you know you can, you just need to get going! Don't forget though it's on your rest days that your muscles repair and grow so they're still important.... Good luck for later!

Jeez guys just reading this thread has made me want to take a lie down! I plan on dusting off my trampoline and using the Wii more this year (I've just ordered The Biggest Loser for it) and also going to read my Running Made Easy book again and train to run the Race for Life in the summer! Hope you guys don't mind me joining you? xxx

haha, oh dear now i guess i have to behave ;)
managed to be good yesterday, today going ok (overcoming the desire to eat xmas reindeer chocolates!) having homemade chicken burgers and salad tonight so as long as i don't have a meltdown later on in the day should be good haha

It's a rest day for me today, but I've been leaping up and down watching my beloved Leeds beat Man Utd! :D (I was born in Leeds) I don't suppose that counts.:rolleyes:

Just had the most bizarre run. I found what I thought was a body in my local park! Turned out to be a young guy who was a little bit worse for wear and had fallen on the ice and decided to just curl up and sleep! I must have passed him several times as when I woke him up we figured out he must have been there for about 20 minutes. Nearly had a heart attack! I walked him home to make sure he was ok but it was like something out of a comedy sketch as it was so icy. He was crawling over the paths at some points as it was safer for him than to try walking! Urgh!

And just in case some of you are worried about my safety - I live in a place where everyone knows everyone, or at least their Mum or brother or something, so he was in more danger if I'd have left him alone than I was by walking him home! What a shock I got though!

AND I fell flat on my back on the ice on my first lap of the park!

Judi - I am counting anything which gets your heart going so jumping up and down to the fitba is exercise in my book!

NatB - did you stick yo your plan or did you have a meltdown?! I had a bit of pavlova as a treat but I was good the rest of the day so I am not going to beat myself up about it!

Welcome Devon Dumpling! Love the name! And of course you can join us. That Running Made Easy is a fab book, and if you are into the Wii, Judi has got me going again on the EA Sports game which is also very good. Keep us posted on your running - hope it is not as eventful as mine!

Woop woop Beccy you must be working hard to shave time of your PB! I think I'll wait a while before paying too much attention to my times - getting out the door in the first place is a big acheivement for me just now!

Right off to bed. Will update tomorrow. Think I might go to the sauna as a treat for managing three days of running and a few more of EA Sports. Though chocolate cake would be good too . . . !

Last edited:
Day 9/60, lots of sweat, aching abs and could have done with the paramedics after the island run! I feel GOOD!

Hello all!

SL - that guy in the park story is hilarious!! God - i bet you were picturing the headlines in the local paper weren't you?! Glad you're ok to get out in a safe place - i normally have to drive out somewhere afterdark - we don't have any pavements or streetlights round here - i'd get flattened quite quickly!

When are your WI's ladies? Mine is a Weds night, so i always feel a bit more "serious" about it on Monday!!

I've been travelling for about 6 hours today visiting my dad so nothing to report but tomorrow is running club, so that will be an um, "challenging" 5 miles!

Quick q - has anyone done pilates? What's it good for? Is once a week enough to make a difference? There's a class a few doors up that i'm considering....

I was just going to weigh in on Mondays - not really done a proper thing like this before and figured Mondays would be the best day. I've joined the w/c 4th January challenge thread on here (everyone is WI on different days this week) so you should come and join too if you want a 4 week challenge.

I'm heading out for my run in a little bit then got my EA Sports workout to do. With just being a little bit healthier (But still having pavlova etc!) and starting running I have lost a pound a day for the past three days! It always happens when I get going to begin with, but slows down to about 2lb a week when my body gets used to it. I'm going pretty slow just now and doing at least a mile a day (and not much over that these first few days) so it's not like I'm doing marathon training. And it makes me feel fab, all nice and refreshed inside and out.

Judi - day 9 of 60?! Wow! Think I am only on day five of 30 so I should really get going! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Oh, nearly forgot about the pilates! Yes it is good but it can be quite difficult if you do it properly! It is a lot or core work and lots of small movements that look quite easy but are not really. Well I find them quite sore! The more you go the easier it gets and the stronger you feel. I think once a week is probably enough as if you enjoy it and start to see benefits, you can start to do little bits of what you have learned at home.

I'm starting a new yoga class either this Thurs or next (will have to check) but we have a great pilates teacher up here so might get back into it too. Keep us posted on how you get on!

well done ladies keep going
keep running, pressing the wii button :) stay active :)

Back