Early start to NY resolution - want to join me?

Well Beccy that's two of us who have had a bit of a blip this week. I figure that we can let it ruin everything and think, well I've mucked up so I might as well continue to do so and go and eat loads and do no exercise, or we can just get back to 'normal' and start again.

I'm going to try a run later on to sweat out the remainder of this hangover. I challenge you to do one as well - indoors or out - but remember to stretch at the end!

How is everyone else doing?

Thanks SL! I "off loaded" that whingey post and realised i couldn't show my face on here again unless i did something about it. Did a treadmill / dvd sandwich - 30 mins either side of a 45 min cardio combat workout....so i got 6 miles in...not the 7 i should have done for the half mara training...but it's def given me a better perspective. How d'you get on? x

Not quite managed yet - went for a walk but still feel horrendous so think it'll be a few hours before I manage to get out the door for a run. You have put me to shame! x

LOL girls! Cut yourself some slack! It's not a hanging offence to miss a workout! I had my rest days over the weekend and had more than enough red wine! But it's back to basics today! Now if we'd done nothing since Christmas we would have something to castigate (great word eh?)ourselves for.

Loving the lingo! Castigate! Sometimes i don't do it enough! Well i came home tonight and did another 3 miles on the treadmill....2.5 run and half mile on steepest incline with some hand weights... just for the fun of it.....(well ok, it was to work off a wee chocolate caramelly shortcake thingy....). Updates ladies? x

Haha! I only do marathons in half buried Roman cities - it's a policy of mine! Sussex Beacon in Brighton....i misguidely thought being by the coast it might be fairly flat!! Apparantly not! "Core runner" - sounds like you're likely to be responsible for setting people out on a 4 miler that turns into 5 or 6 when you get lost but don't like to say....that's what happens in ours!! Good luck with Pompey - what time are you hoping for?

I'm not feeling very well - perhaps it wasn't all hangover. Feel generally yucky and have cold-type symptoms. Not done anything exercise-wise since Friday night and struggled through work today. I am hoping that I feel better tomorrow coz I only seem to lose weight when I am exercising and was feeling good about getting back to running. Oh well. Well done all of you and thank you for talking some sense into us Judimac! x

A little after New Years' but I'm with you in this.

Hey everyone

I have decided to start my new year resolution early and was hoping somebody (anybody) out there would want to join me?! I'm new to this forum so I hope this is something I am allowed to do!

My resolution is to do some form of exercise every day as I feel so much better when I do and I have let it slip recently. I got married this summer and I am very happy with my life, but not so with my weight now! Could do with losing about 2 stone now . . .

I am hoping we can motivate each other day-to-day, commiserate each other when it goes wrong and congratulate each other when we reach a goal. Anyone at all who is wanting to use exercise as part of their weight loss plans please reply - even if you are half way to your goal weight! I could do with your expertise and advice!

I'm planning on doing running, fitness DVDs, the gym, some yoga (using books and the DS) and various games on the Wii.

Right, big deep breath before I click 'submit' and fingers crossed that someone joins me! Thank you for reading this. x

Hello Ladies --

I hope it is okay if I joined in. But, be WARNED -- I do not run. Not even if someone is chasing me with a stick (that is, if I think I can kick their *5#).

However, I love aerobics, aquafit, exercise classes in general, I'll do the gym (machines, free weights, stepper, cycles, treadmill -- up to an inclined 5.5 mph), etc.

I think the running aversion is due asthma... I run: I cough. I cough: I can't breathe. And, it's all downhill from there.

However, the "Do Something -- Anything, Daily" sounds like a good fitness plan for me.

I set up m y DSLite Personal Coach:Walking yesterday. I started after noon -- but got to the 3,000 starter steps level, anyway. i am already at 3,000 and it is not even noon yet today. So, one of my exercise "things" will be to continue with this -- and it'll increase my target with time.

I will also try to do as you all are -- and do something everyday.

Thanks for starting this thread.

MM

Last edited:
Hello ladies!

Minimel - oooh - i think a DS Light coach is a new one on us...you'll have to keep us posted.... and You and Keepthefaith are most welcome... Some join...few post again... the challenge is yours! ;-)

Actually talking of which....Shetland Lass has been quiet since the sofa day....

Tonight should have been running club but a fellow runner suggested it may be too icy and would be time better spent in the pub....sooooo i did Davina cardio box and pump with the "fat burn" mins on the treadmill as a punishment.... Happy Tuesday all x

Hi Beccy-babe and thanks for welcoming us!

I told my husband about all these crazy runners (out in the cold, snow and ice). he said that Shetland Lass reminded him of a woman who ran the Olympic marathon many years ago (she may have won) -- that trained in the Shetland Islands by running whilst wearing a miner's helmet with a light on it (because it is dark much of the time during the winter).

I did well over 9,000 steps yesterday. So, I am going to be certain to make the 10,000. I am also planning to try out the pilates class on base. If that isn't possible (not on, no room) then I'll go to the gym and use the treadmill and do some weight training.

Thanks Again, MM

Oh Mel I don't do running either! I THINK about it! Then I reckon my joints don't need the damage!
WELL! After missing 2 workouts my new Biggest Loser dvd arrived in the post this morning! Well you have to set it up don't you? OMW :eek: even the warmup on easy is loads harder than the one on med on MWs! Then I tried a 19 min full body and a 25 min upper body workout! Then theres a good stretching session to cool down.SWEAT? I've not sweated like that since day 1 on EASA! My shoulders are seizing up already and I can feel my knees humming! You use the board alot! Both the warmup and cool down are better than MW. The only thing is they are VERY miserley with the cals used. You have to choose a past winner to be you on the game, and she's ALOT fatter tham me!
I haven't explored it all yet, but it definitely challenged me! So I shall use it with the MW to get some variety.

Last edited:
beccy - I would be delighted if I could get under 2:10 (I am WAAAY slow on long distance runs) but anything will do really, thats what being a noob is all about. You need a personal best to improve on. I think I might have just recently discovered my 'goal' 10k pace, so I am going to try some fartlek with that from now on.

Mel & judy - by all means, do not make yourselves run if you don't enjoy it, especially if you have health problems (I certainly hope you both went to see the doctor before you started this!) just do what you enjoy and that will get you out off the sofa.

I ran 7 miles with some fartlek training today in the snow before work, fuuun :DI think I'm overdoing it a bit now - did I mention that my other activities include being a full-time nurse and also walking 3.5 miles minimum every day? Well... there you go. I get a lot of wear and tear on the joints - does anybody know of some miracle-foods for that?

I've worked out a weekly schedule;
Monday – running club
Tuesday – steady run on road (4-7 miles)
Wednesday (rest) - easy run on road (3-4 miles)
Thursday – boxing + steady on treadmill (4+ miles)
Friday – fartlek on treadmill + yoga
Saturday – long run on multi-surface (12+)
Sunday (rest) – yoga/tennis

Are you taking glucosamine sulphate for your joints? Clinical trials are very promising, it helps your cartilage repair. The word fartlek always makes me smile! (I've always had a lavatorial sense of humour)

Well no repercussions this morning, so I did the Tire challenge, on easy and came top!7x 1 minitish bursts of intense work, and then did a 20 min core workout which really made me sweat again.(this is the Biggest Loser) What has to be wrong is that it gave me 19 cals for 20 very sweaty mins! I burn that at rest!
I have tried to edit my schedule and tho I've managed to add tomorrow in (I have no idea how!) I couldn't get it to do workout 2 today. Very frustrating.
Overall I feel that it is making me work harder than SA, perhaps I should go onto hard but with the exercises being new I wanted to have somewhere to go. I think I'll use a combination of the 2.

Hey ladies - i take glucosamine sulphate - I'm not sure that i notice any difference but i'm hoping it's offering me some protection from damage - and i understand it's better than cod liver oil for your joints....

Good on the half mara time - i'd like to aim for 2.10 maybe on my 2nd one this year - havne't done nearly enough training for the next one next month!

Shetland Lass - where are you? Didnt see that post about you being poorly before - hope you're ok?

I'm off to Portugal for a long sunny weekend in the morning. I have my trainers packed (usually a complete waste of time!) and i've checked out some routes on the internet...i will try to reign myself in...if i can knock off 1lb this week that will be my long awaited first stone award!

Happy Thursday!

Hey guys - I've missed you all! Welcome to our new posters Keepthefaith and Minnie Me too, the more the merrier!

I've had a horrible cold and an extremely busy week at work, getting home at 8 or 9 at night and the fact I have to drive 40 minutes each way (in the dark morning and night!) has just knackered me out. I know exercise gives me more energy but when you are tired it is the most difficult thing to do!

Anyway, the cold is a bit better and the few days 'off' has actually done me the world of good. I started my yoga class again tonight then did a fast half hour run on the gym treadmill. Going to try a run tomorrow night before we head out for a meal. Might try the miners helmet if I get home after dark again! Will have to do some research and see if I can find out who that woman was - you have got me intrigued!

I have a massive night out in a week or so - a week on Tuesday actually! It is Up-Helly-Aa, our Viking Fire Festival and I can't wait. There is a big procession of men carrying fiery (spelling?!) torches which they then chuck onto a galley. The men then head off to various (about ten) venues throughout our main town where all the women are waiting with food and alcohol. (bit sexist, but hey ho).

Then everyone spends the night (from about 9pm til 8 or 9 the next morning) dancing, drinking and eating. Then it's off to the pub for breakfast and some more drink before heading home when you can't take any more. It is a public holiday the next day thank goodness.

Hoping to get some good workouts before then but I should manage to dance enough to counteract any food and drink eaten. That's the plan anyway.

Oh I bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD. Anyone tried it? Might give it a go at the weekend and will let you know.

Hi everyone, hope you dont mind me joining in. I didnt know the fitness section existed! Its 3.10am and I'm wide awake, why cant i sleep!!

Shetland Lass - yes I defo recommend kiting on hols to begin with! The worst part of doing it in Scotland is trying to get your kite dried out afterwards! If its nice and warm and sunny it makes life so much easier! Plus its a bit more pleasant and no wetsuit!

I'm not going crazy on the exercise, I used to be a bit of a gym fanatic until love made me fat and I got lazy. I'm just trying to do 30 mins cardio and 100 sit ups and some dumbells each day I'm off work (which is most days!). But if I miss days I wont stress about it.

I have some equipment at home but I'm away from home at the moment so Ive bought an exercise bike and I've got my wii fit which I haven't been using but think I might get set up tomorrow. I can't stand running so that is def out of the question for me but I think I might get bored of the bike so I'm going to buy a fitness DVD (which i've been meaning to do all week!).

Good luck to everyone else, looks like you are all doing great

x

Back