Eat Stop Eat...losing weight with IF and exercise

zoerunsfaster

I am struggling to find a diet that fits. I've tried everything over the last year and a half but the two I've had most success with are low carbing (primal style-ish) and 5:2 (which I did for a while last year.

I really wanted to do a vlcd to shift the lbs quickly, but it makes me soooo grumpy with the kids and makes me obsess about food - I'm not ruining our summer holiday by letting my diet take over.

So here's the plan, from tomorrow:

- 5:2 (using the rest of my vlcd packs to start with) with one of the fasting days falling on my rest day, the other on an easy running day to start with.
- Follow the Hanson half marathon plan for the new forest half (8 weeks tomorrow)
- Low carb (under 70g) the rest of the time, not too worried about calories on my non fasting days as long as the carb count is low.
- Keep this up for the rest of the Summer hols with the aim of going back to school one stone lighter in September :)

I also have a week's Bootcamp booked from Fri 2nd August and I'm hoping that will help shift half a stone :) 10s here I come! (I'd like to lose 2 stone overall by Christmas)

And as planning is the key to success, here's my plan for the next week

Sun - Down day, run 4 miles
Mon - Up day, run 4 miles, 30 day shred
Tues - Down day, 30 day shred
wed - Up day, run 4 miles, optional 30 day shred
thurs - Up day, Rest day
fri onwards - off to Bootcamp!

Last edited:
I've been doing 5.2 but on my up days I've been eating way too many carbs. I did low carb a few years ago and lost two dress sizes - I'm at that weight again now on 5.2 but have stalled. So I'm doing 5.2 with low carbs too. My exercise is restricted so going to do very low carb (phase 1) strict for 2 weeks then up it a bit.

Thanks for visiting...How long have you been doing 5:2?
I feel so bad about the regained weight. I'm at the point of avoiding seeing people who saw me at my lowest :( still, I'm doing something about it now.

Trying to post my results from the JUDDD calculator, lets see if it works...it came out as 2300 on an up day and 467 on a down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 131
Well the kick off to day 1 hasn't gone as planned! Woke up starving (low blood sugar after last night's binge, probably - I so want to get back to a sensible way of eating that doesn't make me eat everything in the house because I'll "start again tomorrow"..!). Made pancakes for the kids and resisted (went back to bed with a black coffee and a big glass of water). When I was finally ready to get up and exercise, I did 2 mins on the treadmill and it broke! Am going to have to call out an engineer, but in the meantime, I dusted off one of my many exercise DVDs - this time Bob Harper's Kettlebell workout (eye candy whilst I exercise). 5 mins in I was regretting it - it's been ages since I've done any strength work and I'm going to feel it over the next few days! But I completed the 50 mins workout, and I'm sitting here feeling sweaty and smug!

start weight 12.5.8
bodyfat (v inaccurate but good for comparison) 28.7%

Last edited:
Things I want to eat on my next up day (am starting this list to keep me out of trouble):

the lovely ripe avocado that's sitting in my kitchen staring at me
thick double cream and strawberries mmmmm

more to come I'm sure

Wow! Well done with the exercise! I'm carb craving today, lazy morning in bed with 3 cups of tea but shaky when I finally got up! Eggs for breakfast, had cheese salad and Greek yoghurt for lunch, salmon for tea I think. Low carb fast Monday but might need to have a snack - not sure how carb detox and fast are going to go????

Sadly didn't make it through as a down day, more of an intermediate day. But I stayed low cal and low carb, and ate healthily.

Here's how it panned out:

B - black coffee
L - s&s porridge
snacks - s&s Truffa bar, bowl of curly kale; cup of bovril, 2 handfuls macadamia nuts
T - curly kale with lemon and olive oil dressing, half an avocado, 4 gluten free chipolata sausages
strawberries & cream
half a glass of wine

Total cals - 1382
Total carbs - 66g

Water - 3 litres

Exercise 50 mins kettlebells

So, a revised plan

Sun - IM, kettlebell workout
Mon - Up day, run if I can get someone to babysit
Tues - Down day, 30 day shred
wed - Up day, run 4 miles, optional 30 day shred
thurs - Up day, Rest day
fri onwards - off to Bootcamp!

I ended up with an iD instead of UP, 871 cals and 27 carbs. Did a 2.5m walk but joints struggled towards the end. I've lost 2lb though so I'm pleased but it 2lb I'd put back on!!!

Well done on your weight loss!

Ive changed the title of my diary, because at the moment I'm not feeling the love for low carb, so I'm going to continue playing with IF and exercise and take it from there. Up day today, aiming for 2000 (my UD, according to the JUDDD website should be 2300 but I'm not exercising today).

b - 2 pieces wholemeal toast with 1 egg and 0.5 avocado
L - frittata made with eggs, broad beans, spinach, garlic, chilli and served with salsa & guacamole
glass of white wine
s - costa soya latte and 2 oat & raisin biscuits
d - salmon fillet, stir fry veg & chillimen sauce, followed by strawberries & double cream

cals 1997
carbs 118g

exercise: 30 min hill walking on treadmill - on highest hill setting (treadmill broken, the gradient won't decrease, it's too high for me to run on it, hard enough walking!)

Last edited:
Hiya, I want to get to roughly the same weight as you. Im also using vlcd packs on.my down day, well that's the plan anyway lol good luck xxx

Hi steph! Hard work, this weightloss lark, isn't it?

Today's going well for me. I survived until 5.30pm on 2 black coffees and water. I was abdolutely fine most of the day, a few tummy rumbles at lunchtime that were easily ignored. It got tough at 4pm though, and the last half hour was horrible - I felt weak and shakey, but I was out and didn't want to eat until it got home. I nearly got tempted by thorntons ice cream, but am pleased I resisted. I wolfed down my tea though - took about 5 mins! I'm going to have an S&S shake before bed - takes me to 562, but I'll live with that!

Not sure I'll be up to exercise today, but I'll wait an hour then see.

A couple of reasons why I think today has been easier than my first DD.
- I did a proper ID first - not an intermediate day, or a last chance binge, both of which have major consequences for the next day.
- I didn't eat anything til late. Eating stimulates my hunger

So, my first successful down day (bows to the applause)!

B - black coffee
L - black coffee
T - salmon fillet and stirfried veg
snack - s&s cafe latte shake

cals 568
carbs 29g

exercise - none (didnt feel up to it)

i struggled between 4.30-5.30pm as I felt weak and shaky, and temptation was worst after I'd eaten my meal....little voices in my head saying "you've done the hard bit, an extra 100 cals won't hurt" etc.

I may switch to eat stop eat as it places more emphasis on a 24 hr fast with no food, then less restriction once that time limit is up, so I could stretch to 800 cals in the evening for example. But I'll wait and see - its supposed to get easier! My next fast wont be until after Bootcamp, as I'll be on a strict 1200 cals there. I reckon the Friday and saturday I'm out of Bootcamp I'll make up days (with a strict 2000 limit - i dont want to binge and undo all my hard work...then have a down day on the Sunday. But I'll see how I feel. At the moment I feel great - but a bit wired!!!

So I had a really bad night last night. Couldn't sleep until 1am and although I didn't feel particularly hungry, I ended up eating a sausage sandwich, and then slept fine. I don't know whether I just need to get used to sleeping on an empty stomach? After all, I don't remember ever going to bed on an empty stomach before - shocking huh?! (Actually I did a vlcd a while back, I must have gone to bed hungry then).

so

1st breakfast - 1am! Sausage sandwich (4 chipolatas, 1 slice bread, salsa)
2nd breakfast - 9am after workout green smoothie (0% greek yoghurt, kale, apple, half a banana, quarter of an avocado)
total cals so far 700!

i was going to make this an intermediate day, but I think an up day is more likely with an intermediate day possibly tomorrow.

On the plus side, I got on the scales this morning, 11.11!!!! That's a drop of 9lbs! And I've only done one proper down day, one intermediate day and 2 up days! WOW! I'm weighing early as I won't be able to weigh until post Bootcamp, so the next one will be over a week, which is no bad thing because I might have a scale rebound from such a big loss.

Anyway, piccie of my disgusting looking brekkie attached!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 148
So, currently getting ready for my first date in 20 years...to say I'm nervous is an understatement!

currently on 1390 cals, but am just going to enjoy myself tonight. If that's possible!

Treadmill still stuck on a 12% incline so I did hill repeats this morning, but had to jump off treadmill for recoveries as I wasn't getting any recovery with that incline...

So, currently getting ready for my first date in 20 years...to say I'm nervous is an understatement!

currently on 1390 cals, but am just going to enjoy myself tonight. If that's possible!

Treadmill still stuck on a 12% incline so I did hill repeats this morning, but had to jump off treadmill for recoveries as I wasn't getting any recovery with that incline...

Enjoy!!!!

Back