Eating and exercise...

Frankie99

Hi
Wondering if anyone can advise me on when is the best time to eat relating to exercise?
For example I have now started a zumba class which begins at 7.45pm and finishes at 8.45pm. Am I better to eat early (around 5.45) before I go or wait until I come home when my metabolism will presumably have been kick started by the exercise?
Thanks
Frankie

Your body will burn the same amount of energy regardless of whether it was fed before or after a workout.

I would eat before as you are giving your body more time to digest the food properly

The day I have a later class, ideally I try to have a bigger lunch that day, and just something light to tea. If I get home early enough to leave a gap of at least 1.5 hours between eating & exercising I eat it before I go, and if not I have it as a supper when I get back.

It's never good to sleep on a full tummy.

I'd eat before as it will fuel your workout. If you want something after, then have some lean protein (chicken/turkey slices or similar) and a banana. It will refuel your body and your muscles will have something to work on as they get stronger!

If I were you, I'd eat a light, early meal before (to give you energy for your workout) and save my pud for after the class. I know that if I go to the gym or for a class when I haven't eaten much that day the quality of my workout suffers because I don't have any energy.

Back