Eating under 1000 cals??

stef2009

Gold Member
Ok so my aim is 1000 cals a day maybe 1200 if ive been the gym.. but i only seem 2 be gettin around 800 cals and im full, is this ok? or is it 2 less? should i be having atleast 1000?? any advice would be great, thankyouu! x x

I had the same problem at the beginning. I also aim for 1200 but generally have 1000 at the moment, although before I was having 1000. I think really though it is sensible to have at least 1000. If you reach a plateau and need to drop some cals to get yourself started again, then dropping from 800 would not be good!

If I have had 800, and don't plan on making it up for it in the week, then I have a mini choc bar or maybe a nice hot chocolate or something just to boost it slightly.

So best to try get to 1000 then, its like now ive only just ate my tea and still only had 820 cals! but im full and dont want to eat anything else as i wont go sleep, think i need sort out my meal times, maybe thats whats messin it up.
Had breakfast at 10am even tho im up at 5.30am every morning!
Dinner at 3pm
Then Tea at 10pm
No snacks inbetween
Probably not the best meal times! x x

You really need 1200kcal a day (before exercise) if you are using normal food (rather than products with all nutrients in) as it's unlikely that you will get everything you need to stay healthy under this number.

Looking at your ticker, you are already in a massive calorie deficit, so you should be able to lose really well on a higher amount.

I know you say you're full, but (hopefully not offending here), you must have eaten a lot more to have reached your BMI. I've been there...done that.

I think that the fact that you've been under eating might be the reason why you are filling up so quick. I'd really suggest raising your calories and get some appetite back. You want to do this safely, and you want to be able to do a plan that you can stick with, and that will have some flexibility to it when the novelty starts to wear off.

Eating below 1000 calories a day apparently slows your metabolism down, actually making it harder to burn fat, and if/when your body eventually feels so starved you go on a wild binge, you're much more likely to gain weight very easily and often end up even heavier than when you started as your body is less able to burn the calories you consume.

If you can accept that it is going to take a fair bit of time to reach your target, I find it's easier then to stick to a healthy 1200 calories a day, accepting that the changes will be gradual.

I've been there, when the temptation is to keep the Calories as low as you feel you can... not eating any more because you don't think you feel hungry enough and could easily not bother. I thought I would see faster results if I did this, and in the short term that may be true, but generally in the long term it'll become a diet failure.

Don't go below 1200 a day, at this point you really don't need to, you will lose fairly steadily at the moment on 1200 a day. If you keep staying below that your body will go into shock/starvation mode and you won't shed weight in the right/healthy way.

The long term is what you need to focus on, and that means forcing yourself to be practical and sensible.

You can do it! :)

Maybe alternate days of 1000 and 1200, on the second day having something you would really like, like a glass of wine, or a small chocolate bar?

I know you say you're full, but (hopefully not offending here), you must have eaten a lot more to have reached your BMI. I've been there...done that.

Thats the problem i have never been a big eater, i'm only 5ft and was alot slimmer b4 i had my son, but my son was 11lb born and i put litrally stones on with the pregnancy and i cant shift it then sugary drinks where my biggest downfall of puttin more weight on!
I really aint eating under on purpose, i really do get full easy, b4 i started this i'd eat things with lots of calories in, but not much of it cos ive always gotten full quickly.

If you can accept that it is going to take a fair bit of time to reach your target, I find it's easier then to stick to a healthy 1200 calories a day, accepting that the changes will be gradual.

Thats correct, and i dont care how long it takes 2 be honest, i'd love 2lb a week loss but if its less then then never mind, i know im in this healthy eating and exercise for the long run!, I've tried the quick fix diets and the weight goes back on.[/QUOTE]

Maybe alternate days of 1000 and 1200, on the second day having something you would really like, like a glass of wine, or a small chocolate bar?

Yah thats a good idea, if i keep going under i guess ill have to have to fit in a nice treat 2 make it up.

Thanks for all ur advice ladies, i shall make sure i get atleast 1000cals in a day! x x

this week i have bought mars funsize treat bag as some of the contents are on;y 69cals for a small bag of lucky stars so last night when was going under after i did my work out i had lucky stars for 69cals and skittles for 71 cals 140 cals treat which i needed to go up to 1000 cals and i was full and satisfied after wards!

im doing 1000 cals this week them 1200 next, just doing this as a bit of a boost to get me going. good luck hunny xx

Some good advice here, already, but just thought I would agree that 1200 sounds like a healthier way to lose the weight. Remember your body needs energy for all sorts of things, like keeping your heart pumping and your liver & kidneys ticking over. Check out your basal metabolic rate here: BMR Calculator That works out how many calories all your inner workings use up every day, even if you lay in bed and didn't so much as yawn and stretch all day. Obviously your body can break down fat for energy but this is not as efficient a source and the process actually takes up some energy in itself. This is why VLCDs can lead to long term damage if you're not careful.

Good luck with it!

I agree with many posters, you really shouldn't eat less than 1200 cal per day.
If you eat too little your body will hold on to fat as it will think it is starving and may end up burning muscle instead....not good.
I really dont see the need in going below 1200 per day unless you are on a VLCD.

Personally, for me, i wouldnt drop below 1500 calories per day....when i followed that i lost weight until i got to goal.

Good luck

Strangely i have been really hungry today and ate about 1250 cals so thats better! :-D hope my weigh in goes ok 2morro!! Thanks for the advice x x

When I started dieting I dropped to 1500 calories and I wish I'd started higher. I would've still lost and once my weight loss slowed I ended up after a while with nowhere to drop down to.

My advice is find out what your maintenance calories are and drop somewhere between 1000 and 500 cals from that. That way you'll lose 1-2 pounds a week and once you slow down you can adjust your calorie level down.

It is also not really possible to get all the nutrients you need on less than 1200 calories. That's why VLCD's have added proteins and vitamins etc.

So speaking as a long term dieter my advice is slow and steady..it gives you more choice, more lovely food and retrains you to eat sensibly. It's also much easier to stick to and shouldn't hammer your metabolism so much.

When I started dieting I dropped to 1500 calories and I wish I'd started higher. I would've still lost and once my weight loss slowed I ended up after a while with nowhere to drop down to.

My advice is find out what your maintenance calories are and drop somewhere between 1000 and 500 cals from that. That way you'll lose 1-2 pounds a week and once you slow down you can adjust your calorie level down.

It is also not really possible to get all the nutrients you need on less than 1200 calories. That's why VLCD's have added proteins and vitamins etc.

So speaking as a long term dieter my advice is slow and steady..it gives you more choice, more lovely food and retrains you to eat sensibly. It's also much easier to stick to and shouldn't hammer your metabolism so much.

Thanks for the advice coley.
How do i find out what my maintenance calories are? Is it that website food focus?
Cos i dont have a clue how to use it! x x

Hi Stef

This calculator might help..

Calorie Calculator

I used the info in your sidebar and guessed your age at 25 - the result was 2523 calories to maintain your weight if you are lightly active. 2844 if you are moderately active. Drop 1000 of either of these and you can still eat quite a bit and lose 2 pounds a week. Anyway have a go with the calculator yourself (with the right info!).

I use calorie-counter.com to record my food and that has a calculator on it.

Hi Stef

This calculator might help..

Calorie Calculator

I used the info in your sidebar and guessed your age at 25 - the result was 2523 calories to maintain your weight if you are lightly active. 2844 if you are moderately active. Drop 1000 of either of these and you can still eat quite a bit and lose 2 pounds a week. Anyway have a go with the calculator yourself (with the right info!).

I use calorie-counter.com to record my food and that has a calculator on it.

Thanks coley, u was close, i'm 22 lol. It says to drop 2lb per week i can have 1337, I am still going to try for 1000-1200 but its very good 2 know that if i really needed to i can have that little extra! - Lets face it its nowhere near what i was having b4 CC so its all good lol

Is it just just me or has 2day been a pain in the bum stickin 2 calories, took my son 2 southport and around all sorts of picnic treats, ice creams etc.. arghhh i think i managed though!!

Tomorow will be worse at the family bbq!
Butttt saying this i am sick and bloody tired of carrying this weight round in the heat its horrible so that thought gets me straight back on track 2 loose some of this weight for summer :-D x x

P.S coley well done on ur weight loss :-D

It depends on how active you are really. I try to stick to around 1000 a day, and I don't think it's a problem as I am also small(like you:p) at 5'1. If you are a smaller build then you need less calories than an average sized person. Or that's what I've decided anyway. If you're full from that amount of calories then there's no need to eat any more. Why would you eat more than you feel like eating when you're on a diet? That makes no sense! Stick to it girl. x

I'm 5.2 so equally not tall but until scientists tell me it IS possible to get all my nutrients on less than 1200 per day I'll use that as my bottom limit. Do you want to be thin or healthy? You can choose both you know.

Back