Eatlikeabird's Diary

Hi Deb, I won't hear till next week about the interview.
Looking forward to Friday. Taking my car to servicing, so going to check Debenhams for any sale items too good to resist, as its across the road from garage. Its far so only get there about twice a year.

NZmegs, The freelance stuff sounds interesting, could you PM me the sites to check? Very interesting as petrol just keeps going up and up so travelling to work takes so much of any salary, and I don't want to move to a major city where there is more work. I like living out in the country.
Finally, got some exercise today. My friend needed her dogs walked so was I out for an hour. I definitely couldn't have done that 6 months ago.

Any other ladies of a certain age out there? I'm 51. I've found that since losing so much fat my hormones have changed. Fat produces oestrogen and up to last month I had TOTM like clockwork. Now less fat/ less oestrogen means I've started getting hot flashes and missed TOTM. Anyone else getting this result from weightloss?

Last edited:
Did you buy anything nice at Debs, Debs? ;) I went to Primark and New Look on Friday after work and got some nice things. I got a lovely suit from Primark. Will get DD to take a pic and get it uploaded.

I cant say I've noticed any changes recently. My cycle went a bit wild at the beginning and my periods were earlier then later etc. All back to normal now. I think that was just for the first couple of months.

I got round to watching the first two episodes of Borgen last night. I'm hooked!! Its fabulous...and my allegances have completely switched from the actor who played Jan Meyer to one who played Ulrik Strange. I'm sooooo fickle lol.

not at Debs but at Paco got a new size 16 anorak for 25 euro, which was half price and a turtleneck for 5.99 and long sleave tshirt 4.99 so bargains.
I really have to get eating under control as I've eaten out almost every day this week and had simple carbs:(. I think I may have gained 5lbs this week. Things should calm down now though.

I agree the one who played Strange is really good looking. It ended tonight but they said there is a second series of Borgen. Check Montalbano next week.:)

I havent heard of Paco. Is it an Irish chain or am I being really thick with my abbreviations lol.

Yay, I read on the Radio Times feed on Facebook that the BBC had bought the rights to the second series. Hurrah! I will give Montalbano a go next week.

So, this will sound a really stupid question, but I assumed that because you got BBC, you lived in Northern Ireland. But now with you speaking about euros, you must have been shopping in the Republic. Doh! I'm so ignorant!!

Paco may just be here.
HeeHee, yes I'm in County Limerick. I have the very basic Sky satellite so I get the UK TV channels. I've been here for almost 10 years, before that I was 8 years in Berkshire. I've only ever visited Edinburgh once when I was 16 but I really liked it.

Edinburgh is such a beautiful city. I forget sometimes how beautiful. I live outside Edinburgh now and work in a place called Livingston. Its a new town and lacking in somewhat in character. Although it has fantastic shops lol. Then I go into Edinburgh and look around at the buildings etc and think how lovely it is.

Thinking about Scottish Independence, I was wondering about tv and radio and would I still get all the channels lol. Scottish ITV is crap at the moment and we watch English ITV a lot, but I keep forgetting programmes like Law and Order UK. Dead highbrow me. Never mind the North Sea Gas, can I still listen to Radio 4????

I lived in Edinburgh for 13 years and still miss it at times. It's a wonderful place. I'm hoping to take my elder daughter up there later in the year as she's never been, and I still have friends up there, who also have children about her age (that she's met a few times down here).

That's one nice thing about Sky, I have programmed the frequencies for 'other' channels that aren't included in Irish Sky, like ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and channel 5. Nice that I can add the +1 channels incase I miss something.

I've moved onto RTM because of lack of funds while unemployed, even though I still have almost 2 stone to go.
Well my week of garden leave, I had a carb blow out and ate out almost every night. Prev WI I was up 3.5lbs and tonight was down 2lbs. I'm starting week 3 of RTM from Lite. This week is one pack and 3 meals, so really going to be careful.
I'm going to try to stick to higher protein and lower carb. I had to learn how to manage food sometime so I think it will be good for me to try to keep losing 1lb a week while on food. Watch my portions and keep to lower carbs, and it should keep me from going wild with the sweet things.

Good Luck with your RTM.It can be a challenge at times.I managed to lose alb or 2 most weeks ,but I had a few blips and gained a couple of lbs some weeks.After 12 weeks I had managed to only gain 2lbs over all.I did want to lose another stone during RTM but I let the crooked thoughts take over,but was glad I only gained 2lbs.The festive season was another trial and I caved in then holidays came and yes a few more lbs on.So it is really important to read all the RTM literature and stick to exactley what it says in the book .You have got this far you can do it.Take care and good luck.
Cathy

When you do RTM from Lite is it a different process to starting it from total. I am considering doing a couple of weeks of lite before moving on to total. I am currently just 6 pounds away from my first target. I then want to lose another 7 pounds before going into management.

Do you recommended easing myself into management by doing lite or do you think just stick with total all the way?

it is really hard to know.

If I could have I would stick to Total all the way. I had to switch to lite because GP was worried about abnormal bloods when I did total for 10 weeks ( changed to lite 4 weeks and tests improved, switched back to total for about 6 weeks to check if that was the problem and it was, so had to go back to lite again). Total is way easier than Lite.

Financial issues mean I've had to start RTM from Lite before reaching goal. I think from total its 8 weeks (more if you need it) and with Lite there is a different RTM book that is for 4 weeks (I'm on week 3).

Mentally I'm just about caught up with the body image change from obese to overweight. Now if my finances change I'd be ready to go back to Total for 8 weeks to get to goal.

BTW, lovely avatar, its so nice to see pictures.

Thanks, this is my before photo. One of the ones which encouraged me to lose weight. I will post a more recent one when I get around to taking them!

Hi Debs, how are things with you?

Hey Debs,
Struggling...finding the worst bit is eating/grazing when I know I'm not even remotely hungry. Evenings are worst. I'm going to really try to get back to having a drink instead of immediately eating a snack.
How did you like the Montalbano, I find it a nice mix of serious and funny. I missed the first of the new danish program on ITV3, although I read a review that said it wasn't as popular in Denmark as the other 2 programs we already saw on BBC4.
I got a coupon for a mobile upgrade so finally have enterred the world of the 'android market'. Its just a little sony-E Xperia X8, but I had to move on from my call/text oldschool phone. HaHa. Going to take a look at my fitness pal...any you recommend?
GP was happy with my last blood test. Not quite back to normal but still improving.

Hey Debs,
Struggling...finding the worst bit is eating/grazing when I know I'm not even remotely hungry. Evenings are worst. I'm going to really try to get back to having a drink instead of immediately eating a snack.
How did you like the Montalbano, I find it a nice mix of serious and funny. I missed the first of the new danish program on ITV3, although I read a review that said it wasn't as popular in Denmark as the other 2 programs we already saw on BBC4.
I got a coupon for a mobile upgrade so finally have enterred the world of the 'android market'. Its just a little sony-E Xperia X8, but I had to move on from my call/text oldschool phone. HaHa. Going to take a look at my fitness pal...any you recommend?
GP was happy with my last blood test. Not quite back to normal but still improving.

I'm exactly the same. I've put on about 10lbs, I think, so I need to sort my head out.

Insp Montalbano is OK, but I get the feeling that BBC4 were just looking for anything 'foreign' to put on. Those Who Kill, the ITV3 Danish programme is OK too, but nowhere as good as Fordelbrysen or Borgen. Lars Mikkleson is in it, so thats good enough for me ;)

I've used myfitnesspal. I have a blackberry and it can be crap as far as apps are concerned. I cant get it on my phone, and I never remember to upload the info in the evening. How are you finding it?

Eatlikeabird I've been struggling too and have gained 20lb!!!! (some of that was over Christmas but still...) scary, eh?! I need to get back in the zone. I suggested to Debs that we tackle this together. Want to join us? I think I need to change my avatar as at the moment it's seriously depressing me.

Hi Spangly and Deb,
I haven't been on in a few weeks. Been eating...crap...basically. Why do I do it? My jeans are tight. Must have put on half stone... working up to weighing myself.
I'm very interested in joining you. What do you suggest? I've been investigating the Dukan Diet, as I can't afford the packs and I would really like to find a way to do low carb with food.
I haven't been on for a while so I'm looking forward to catching up on your diaries.
I'm still unemployed but looking for something local. Money worries are quite frightening really, hope this isn't a long term situation. Eating is one of my coping mechanisms, gone back to eating when not hungry and eating carbs. I don't want to go back to my pre LLT weight so need to find a way to stop the backsliding.

Hi hope this will help but 2 yrs ago i done a liquid diet not ll and didn't complete it but for over a year I got off it by doing the duken diet I will say it has the same effects as ll, I have lots to lose and just lost the plot over xmas I think as you have lost most of your weight I'm sure this is a good option as you can't go on ll, all the best, don't go back to your original weight you are worth more than that x

Ealikeabird and spanglymum , Debbie is scary, I'm struggling too, I'm doing a mix of calorie counting and exante, having gained about a stone since Christmas, good days bad days, what happened to all our cbt learnings? It's strange with merits like a switch, I get up in the morning full of good intent positive thoughts etc the right in tje middle of something, a switch seems to go and it's substring and overwhelming it puts all 'logic' put the window.
A couple of times this week I have managed to divert my attention when the switch flicked, but not every time. It's really bizarre. I can't go on like this, I need to go back to my gp beginning of April to discuss an op I want, he said 6 months ago come and see me in 6 months if you are still roughly the same weight as you are now I will put you forward for the op. Well that was when I was at the end of total, so I have gained........ I so want the op but some days it's not enough, which saddens me.
My hopes and expectations that I would be able to have enough skill and knowledge to go with the flow, have nit come out that way. I always knew it would be a lifetime if challenges and being careful, harder than we thought though.
Today I am feeling quite positive, however I'm just off on a 3 day birthday weekend with 2 girlfriends who love to eat!
Hope you all have a good weekend
Jx

Back