EE Chicken & Chorizo Jambalaya (pic incl)

StaceyUK

Gold Member
This is soooo nice! The lemon juice and tabasco at the end really gives it a nice lift. You can add extra veg to it depending on what you have in the fridge (I added some diced green beans).

Serves 3-4; 7.5 syns for the whole dish

Ingredients
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bunch spring onions, chopped (incl green tops)
1 bay leaf
84g chorizo, cubed (7.5 syns)
1 pack skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
1 chicken stock cube
600ml boiling water
400g can chopped tomatoes
250g long grain rice
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cajun seasoning*
1 tsp oregano
2 pinches paprika
Tabasco
Lemon wedges

Method

1. Spray some Frylight in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, red pepper, garlic, spring onions, and bay leaf. Cook gently, stirring occasionally for 5-8 mins until softened.

2. Meanwhile, dissolve the stock in 600ml of boiling water. Wash the rice in several changes of water until the water runs clear.

3. Increase the heat on the vegetables and add the chicken, cooking for a couple of minutes until it is opaque. Add the chorizo, cooking for a couple of minutes.

4. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the tomatoes, stock and seasoning then bring to a boil.Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 mins until the rice is cooked through but the jambalaya is moist. If dry, add a little more boiling water.

5. Serve with Tabasco, lemon wedges and fresh parsley.

*to make your own simple cajun seasoning combine the following:

2 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

Store in a container. Very versatile and great tossed into potatoes and then roasted!

Attachments

• IMG_4331.JPG
    IMG_4331.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,051
Looks scrummy, I love chorizo Thanks also for the cajun recipe.

Looks great stacey, I am always looking for new rice dishes will be doing this one soon. Made a lovely chicken and cous cous one pot thing the other night - must remember to take pictures.

Hi Stacey

I'm not very good at cooking but can't wait to try this, does it freeze ok, and do i just microwave it once i have defrosted it, to reheat

gosh i sound thick haha

looking forward to trying it

thanks x :)

:D:DYum! I make this all the time as my BF loves it too. I make it syn-free by using ham instead of choritzo - not as good, but still, pretty good for a free meal! I also put in fresh chilli for a bit more of a kick. :D

I had it tonight and it was yummy! I recommend splurging on the chorizo - even using half the amount and chopping it really small definitely adds a great flavour to the dish without a lot of syns. You can get a hunk of chorizo cut to size from the deli counter if you don't want wasteage.

Super yummy! Made it for the second time on Monday and having the last portion for lunch today. I love chorizo and this shows you can have it with not too many syns! Also the tabasco and lemon juice really lift it.

Thanks for the recipe! :)

Oh wow Stacey I think we both had jambalaya at the same time lol. Looks delicious!

I was just about to make this and realised I've only got basmati rice not long grain, do you think that'll be ok?

HPSaucy said:
I was just about to make this and realised I've only got basmati rice not long grain, do you think that'll be ok?

I always make my jambalaya with basmati - it's yummy

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks Kwise, I've made it, had a quick taste and it's yummy, put more chorizo in (and syn it accordingly) cos we love it.

Back