Embarrassing Problem?

bumpybean88

Hi all, Im sure this thread as appeared many times Im just hoping someone can put my mind at rest:confused:
I am on day 12 of LL and I have only been to the toilet once(sorry I mean for a number 2:eek: )Is this a side affect of of being on a VLCD.I lost 14 Ibs the first week and have only been once in 12 days, and that was after a trip to the doctor and she gave me suppositries after giving me a examination:eek: and told me I was extremelly blocked up.
Im sorry to give so much description, I have tried taking senokot and this has'nt worked(took only one).I used to be very regular, sometimes twice a day, maybe this was because of the junk I was putting in my mouth:(.
Any advice to a :eek: LL er

Hi there - on LL there is inulin in the water flavourings, which is a natural laxative. It might be worth having some of those as part of your water intake.

You need to drink more water also, in order to prevent constipation.

The only shop-bought laxative you should take is Ducolax as it's the only one that won't knock you out of ketosis.

This is such a common problem, I'm a bit surprised that your LLC didn't talk to you about it at your first session. I know mine did!

I don't think it's officially allowed on LL, but lots of people also swear by psyllium husks - in powder form that you add to your soups/shakes every day as a preventative measure. On CD, we have Fibre 89, which is allowed, and encouraged as people are likely to suffer from constipation on a vlcd due to the absence of bulky food opening up your bowels.

HTH

xx

It is a big side effect of ssing im afraid. I take dulcolac very occasionally when i feel very blocked and i know some others use physillium husks (from health shops) in their shakes and soups every day to keep them regular. Hope this helps.

Hi Isobel.I picked up some water flavouring when I weighed in and I have been using that quite alot.Im drinking the 4 litres of water a day.Im making my food packs with 200 mls of water and eating only 1 LL bar a day.

I mentioned it to my LLC on my 1st weigh in and she said it was common side effect, and that I would have lost more weight if I had managed to go:eek:

Hun - it sounds like you're doing everything right. As you are suffering more than is bearable, I still think you should try to drink 5 litres a day, and maybe make up your shakes with 225 mls of water. Maybe worth speaking to your LLC about the husks too.

xxxx

I mentioned it to my LLC on my 1st weigh in and she said it was common side effect, and that I would have lost more weight if I had managed to go:eek:

Well, she's right in that it's a common side effect, but the second comment's not terribly helpful lol.

My old LLC told us to take ducolax the night before a weigh-in in order to get the best possible weight loss, which like a numpty, I did for the 88 days I did LL. This was one of the reasons I changed to CD and I have to say that there was a dramatic improvement when using Fibre 89 and the CD choc bars - I'd rather use a preventative than take laxatives every week lol!

Hope you feel better soon.xxx

Thanks Isobel, I shall definatly try the extra litre and ducolax,I shall nip down the chemist later and keep my fingers, or should I say my leg crossed and hope I dont loose all my weight in one go!!:eek: :eek:

Be careful with the Ducolax, though, hun. They can be quite vicious!!

If you've never taken them before, start off with just the one tablet - at night. If you take two straight away, well - I think it's like first stage labour pains!! Not something I relish!

xxxx

OMG I think I'll stick to just the one for now then!
If I take one at night like you suggest,how long do they take to work hun;)

Just jumping on, I had a major problem at Xmas, didnt go for a week and a half, bought dulcolax and took 1, it worked at half 10 the following morning and was very gentle on the stomach, although I did feel like I had twins I wasnt in pain!!

Do have a look at pshyllium husks, they are a great way of bulking out things and helping pass more easily x

Hi

The other thing that you can use, which is very effective and does not affect ketosis is movicol. I'm a nurse and i really should sell this stuff - it's fab! you can get this on prescription from GP or buy it over counter but its not cheap. If you try this just make sure you follow instructions and allow to go clear before you drink it. You usually get a response 12 hours later without any urgency or cramps etc.

Hope this helps

Christina

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall give them a try.
Not all at once though:eek:

Probably not the wisest thing to do, but i always seem to do a number 2 when i do the following

Drink 1 and a 1/2 litres of water at a fairly rapid pace (eg within 15 minutes).

Staight after you've drank all that water, then have one of your meals as a smoothy (butterscotch, fruits of forest, strawberry drink)

After that combination of food and water, im always desperate for the loo, and the technique never fails :)

Hi

The other thing that you can use, which is very effective and does not affect ketosis is movicol. I'm a nurse and i really should sell this stuff - it's fab! you can get this on prescription from GP or buy it over counter but its not cheap. If you try this just make sure you follow instructions and allow to go clear before you drink it. You usually get a response 12 hours later without any urgency or cramps etc.

Hope this helps

Christina

I heard movicol was good alright and I asked about it in a chemist and they said I needed a prescription:(

Here is a link that gives some information about it.

Movicol

Not sure about drinking so much water in 15 mins, I think the general guide is no more than a litre in an hour... but if its a one off to try then I don't expect it will matter.

I can't believe your old LLC Isobel advising you take a laxative every week is terrible advice, and in my opinion is eating disorder behaviour. Laxatives should be an as and when ya need em thing!

I use dulcolax and no problems, but they do seem to take a little longer to work in me, 12-16 hours I'd say.

Mags
xxx

Back