EmmaBeee Diary - Gastric Band Pre & Post Op

emmabeee

Hi i'm Emma,

Day 2 - 22nd March 2009

I am on my second day of my pre op (gastric band) diet.
It is torture at the moment, my fiancee and kids came back with burgers and chips tonight. Oooh it smells sooo good.

I have been put on a milk and yoghurt diet for 7 days, which i have stuck to:

7am: All Milk (semi skimmed) Decaff Coffee 250ml

9am: Glass of Milk (semi skimmed) 250ml

12noon: Diet Yoghurt and cup of decaff tea with milk or Fruit/Herbal Tea.

3pm: Diet Yoghurt

5pm: Oxo Drink or Bovril Drink

7pm: All milk (semi skimmed) decaff coffee 250ml

9pm: vanilla flavoured milk (semi skimmed) 250ml

Plus 3.5l of water as well as the above.

I am peeing for Britain at the moment with all these liquids.

Last edited:
On day 4 now.

I walked past my neighbours yesterday, they were cooking bacon, its amazing how strong my sense of smell has become. That is not a good thing! lol

I REALLY miss chewing and biting into food. I know i will do again, but it won't be for another couple of months yet.

Bit of advise for everyone thinking of having surgery:
Its really hard (and i'm only on day 4 of the pre op diet), don't get me wrong its the best thing i could ever have done, just don't take the decision lightly, its a massive massive change!

Well done starting a diary! :) We need to read more though! lol

Have you weighed yourself since starting your diet? I'll be you're losing already! :)

How is your intake going now? Is it mostly liquid? to get you used to it for after the op? Forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about weight loss surgery.

Have you started setting mini-goals for after surgery? How do you plan to treat yourself?

Are you able to think of recipes you can use later, even if you split them into smaller quantities and freeze? Just idea's to make life a bit easier later. :)

Smells are a funny thing, I've realised how strong my smell has become and the 'draw' my mind has to them. I'm veggie and have even drooled over sausages and chicken!! :rolleyes: Honestly though I put it down to memory.. that's all :)

I'm happy now 9 weeks in, to walk around a supermarket and NOT drool / groan and feel the urge to eat things that I look at or smell. :)

I hope you find the same happens with you and that the surgery goes well. :)

I'm sure that you'll have lots of support in the surgery section, but I'll drop by here now and then to say hi :)

Smells are a funny thing, I've realised how strong my smell has become and the 'draw' my mind has to them. I'm veggie and have even drooled over sausages and chicken!! :rolleyes: Honestly though I put it down to memory.. that's all :)

I'm happy now 9 weeks in, to walk around a supermarket and NOT drool / groan and feel the urge to eat things that I look at or smell. :)

I hope you find the same happens with you and that the surgery goes well. :)

I'm sure that you'll have lots of support in the surgery section, but I'll drop by here now and then to say hi :)

Thank you Hun xxx

My friend went veggie just over a year ago now, she has lost 6 stone, she looks amazing, she is checking all food labels making sure the sugar and fat content in everything she eats is low. She has hardly excersized either, doesn't it make you sick. She has gone from a size 20 to a size 12. She is such a strong minded person tho and an amazing piece of support for me!

For myself tho: I will deffo be freezing small meals for myself, planning in advance as well, something i'm going to do while i'm in hospital to pass the time, make some weekly menu's for myself, i have found it helps knowing what i'm eating in advanced, then shopping is a doddle, i know what i need get it and get out of the shop before my eyes clock the choc and sweet section.
I might even start shopping online and getting it delivered, no temptation in the store at all then.

Beginning of day 6:

OMG!

I am feeling fab this morning, my jeans are very loose already. My belt has been tightened a few notches already, how fab is that. WOOHOO!

I don't want to weigh myself until they weigh me when i go into hospital before my Op. I promise i will put all my weight updates on here when i'm out. I will write a diary while i'm in there and copy it on here for you all to have a read. I have got rid of my scales temporarily, i left them with my friend. She knows me too well, i will be weighing myself all the time otherwise.

Hiya :) Great to read you are feeling fab and have a supportive friend who is knowledgeable on the eating front.. well done her!! soooo many veggie things are smothered in cheese it's not even funny! :p

Also great that your jeans are getting baggy already! :) You'll need a plan on the clothes front too I expect.. lots of draw string waists ;) to save a bit of money :)

I'm sure your weigh in at hospital will be a fab boost to your confidence :) and remind you of what is ahead of you :) more of the same!!
Have you got some before photos so that you have something to compare new ones against? I know this can be an issue when posting them (I was the same) but if you just keep them on your pc with the weight marked on them till you're ready then you'll see a difference each time you do that and will eventually post them to show off! ;)

How long does it take to recover from the op? have they said? Is it keyhole surgery?
Hope you don't mind my asking, I know little about it all other than in a few weight loss programmes I've watched.

Will drop by tomorrow :D x

Hiya :) Great to read you are feeling fab and have a supportive friend who is knowledgeable on the eating front..

Also great that your jeans are getting baggy already! :) You'll need a plan on the clothes front too I expect.. lots of draw string waists ;) to save a bit of money :)
How long does it take to recover from the op? have they said? Is it keyhole surgery?
Hope you don't mind my asking, I know little about it all other than in a few weight loss programmes I've watched.

HIYA - Day 7. And i am really suprising muself how fab i'm doing, feeling a little lightheaded but the consultant said that is normal on this diet. Gonna pack my bag tonight for hospital, got some new PJ's, Bra's and HUGE :rotflmao: yet very comfy knickers :rotflmao:. I've downloaded on Itunes some more movies for my Ipod, so got loads to do, my kids have given me their DS, and bought me a new game for it to take with me, Awww sweet :family2:

Day after tomo i'm going in and i'm not even nervous, i bet i am when i get there.

I'm having Keyhole Gastric Bypass, I am doing it through The Hospital Group in Leeds, Op at Nuffield Hospital in Leeds - They said i'll be in hospital 3 days in total after op, if all ok, also back to work 2 weeks after that, so long as i stay at my desk and don't do to much, We will see, keep our fingers crossed :fingerscrossed: all goes smoothly.

About the clothes thing, my friend Sarah who's lost all her weight going veggie (without cheese, very difficult) has saved her clothes for me to use so i don't break the bank buying new wardrobes every month. :thankyou: Isn't that great, so i am sorted until i get to my goal weight then i will SPEND SPEND SPEND! :woohoo: My other half is prepared, i have pre warned him so we are already saving, hehee.

I will have a dig about for some photo's. I might get my other half to take some later when he's back from work. I'll take one every month stood in same place and same pose so we can see how my weight is FINGERS CROSSED :fingerscrossed: xx dropping off.

I'd definately get him to take some new pics, front, side and back ;)

Great news on the clothes front! And that you have all your bits for hospital :D Passing the time is the biggest part. :)
Be prepared not to be able to sit up or lie down after the surgery, I had my gall bladder removed by keyhole and got 'stuck' trying to lie down! lol was funny when it was over.. but blooming sore when I was stuck! lol

I took an mp3 player last time i was in.. ran out of batteries I used it that much! lol at least you'll have a charger for your ipod! ;)

I'm sure it'll go quickly in one way.. I think it's worse when you feel fine and they won't let you go!! lol I'm a terrible patient, but your surgery will so be worth it! :p to think that after you'll be on a life changing process is fab. :)

Day 9 of my pre op diet. ITS THE BIG DAY TOMORROW!

I am going into hospital today (2pm), and OMG i am feeling REALLY nervous now. I will get weighed when im there, I will let you all know how much i've lost over the past 10 days.
I've double checked my bag, all packed and ready to go, just need to buy a new set of headphones for my ipod, doing that on the way to hospital.

So what procedure do they do before the operation? So i am prepared!

OMG i have butterflies in my tummy, sooooooo nervous.

I am feeling great, My scars are very small and healing nicely, still a little sore but ive not had pain relief for nearly a week now, the whole thing couldn't have gone better i don't think.

Went into hospital on 29th March - First they took my Blood Pressure and Temp as a base line to work on while i'm in hospital, then they flushed me out with laxatives, (first dose 5pm second dose 8pm) that evening/night was spent in and out of the bathroom until about half past midnight, it wasn't painful so don't worry, those who are waiting for their surgery. I was given an injection before bed to thin my blood to prevent blood clots and my very attactive gown and socks were given ready for the next day and i was told that my op was the first at 2pm ish.
I was awake most of the night thinking the worst, as we all do, *was that the last i'll ever see of my little boys* *am i going to die* I now know what a wasted nights sleep that was, trust me its nothing to worry about at all, this surgery to the surgeon is like a weekly shop to us, or like plumbing to a plumber, Easy peasy!

Woke up after 2 hours sleep, my mum and brother turned up, what a laugh that was, i was nearly wetting myself laughing at my brother cracking jokes and his Lee Evans impressions, i totally forgot about everything until the anethetist came to fetch me for surgery, they were early it was just gone 1:15pm and 10 mins later i was asleep.
It was fab, they attached me to all the machines, stuck canula's in my hand and injected me, i felt drunk, it was amazing, hehe! then ZONKED OUT ASLEEP!
Woke up in CCU (critical care unit) looked at clock it said 5:15pm more sleep than night before, only thing i was concerned about was how my son went at the dentist, he had to have a tooth taken out, apparently he wasn't impressed, oh dear!
I wasn't in any pain at all, morphine is bloody marvellous stuff. I did get a bit of grit in my eye tho, and OMG it was agony, my eye kept me awake all night, everyone around me groaning and sore about their sugeries and i was groaning about my eye, LOL!
After a few hours kip, i was awake dying for a wee, called the nurse, she got me up, felt a little dizzy at first but thats normal.
Was told i could go back to the ward at 11am, so they bathed me and got me changed into my nightie and dressing gown and i was up and slowly strolling around CCU until i was taken back to the ward.

Its the best thing i have ever done and wonder why i didn't do it sooner?

I am feeling really hungry at the moment and am dying to munch on anything, I'm doing really good tho, very proud of myself. Roll on another couple of weeks, i can't wait to have scrambled egg's, cottage pie or my fav Mashed Potato Mmmmmmmmm.

Back