Emotional eating..

smidge87

Rubenesque
So today I had a terrible day at work, and didn't get in until almost 8pm. I was so angry on the way home from work and I drove past a chip shop and I actually thought to myself about how I used to turn to food to make myself feel better. Before Exante I'd have been in there no questions asked and walking out with a huge bag of chips or going home and convincing my OH that we should have a takeaway! Instead here I am nibbling my choc orange bar and reading the forum to make myself feel better! :patback:

Anyone else struggling to combat their emotional eating??

Oh yes, I'm struggling these days. Having lost enough to fit most clothes I've lost the biggest part of the motivation to lose more although I could still do with losing almost a stone. My marriage ended a couple of weeks ago but he'll still be here til he buys somewhere. For almost two weeks I turned to junk food, all that happened was weight gain and constant sore tummies. If nothing else I learned that emotional eating just hurts myself. Onwards and upwards, I suppose :)

I'm sorry to hear that your relationship ended I hope you're feeling better now, sounds like you've handled it well and really learnt to cope. I too used to have a bad tummy lots always in bed with the hot water bottle to try and feel better. Thanks for reminding me, that will definitely help me stay away from the takeaways when I come off TS! I think the hardest part of this experience has been learning to overcome the bad eating cycle which I imagine lots of us suffer from!

Thank you, the end of the relationship was inevitable. At least my perspective on hurting myself with the wrong foods has changed so something good has come out of it.

I'm soo glad it's not just me who emotionally eats! If I'm happy/ sad I always used it as an excuse to eat. I haven't cracked yet but it's my birthday next week and there is already talk of a night out drinking and a meal.... :( it's taken me soo long to manage to give this diet another go that I know if I do go I'm going to end up mucking up the whole week and end up back to square one x why is it when you're in the right frame of mind to so this diet something poopy always happens. Last time I tried my nan passed away ?? x

Yes, another one here. If I get stressed or upset I will eat. The kids were pushing me to the edge yesterday and I seriously wanted to give it all in. It's hard when you have emotional triggers

I think we all need to make a promise to ourselves that next time we are tempted to eat, driven by emotions, we just come on here for a rant instead! I used to eat just to treat myself for doing something good too so today I went and bought myself a new bag I've wanted for ages as a reward to myself for nearly 9 weeks and not giving in to the chip shop :D

I am a massive emotional eater!!!

I eat because I am unhappy and I'm unhappy because I eat! It's a vicious circle which goes on and on while I get bigger and bigger!! Until now that is...... I have had enough and I am now in the frame of mind where I want to be slim a hell of a lot more than I want to eat! When I am tempted to eat something or have a moment of weakness, I bring to the front of my mind just how unhappy I am being this weight and it really helps. I also know that if I don't give in to temptation then I'll feel a thousand times better than I would if I had of given in.

I really want to lose weight and in abstaining from conventional food I am learning to deal with the triggers and the real reasons behind why I eat (and its certainly not as I'm hungry 99% of the time!!!). So we have all started our journeys for the same reasons and we CAN do this! Come on ladies, we are strong! :eek:

Hey Sam (?), welcome to the forum! I agree that most of the time when I ate, I certainly wasn't hungry!! You're so right, we CAN do this :winner: Everyone on here is just so great, I feel so fab today compared to yesterday knowing I'm not alone!

I agree with you, smidge, when I have felt like eating I have come on here with a big glass of sparkling water and before I know it, it is time for a bar or a shake and I am fine again! xx

Thanks Smidge! Not finished my profile etc yet but am already on here all the time for support, inspiration and motivation!

Especially seeing as I can get the forum on my mobile, no excuse for slip ups or boredom as I always have something to browse!

I have a new tablet and my mobile so will come on here when my will has gone

It's so much easier to deal with when you know there are others on this forum going through the exact same associations with food. Tonight I came out of work and my car was parked near a chip shop, the smell filled the street and I didn't care :)

i'm also an emotional eater. and a boredom eater.

this 'diet' makes me obsessed with recipes and i've spent hours upon hours of searching healthy meals and writing them up in my recipe file haha. that's almost become my new habit - if i'm stressed / sad / pissed off i just sit and write up different meals.

Well that's a good idea, now you'll have plenty to try your hand at once you come off the diet! I've always wanted a cook at home lol ;)

Makes so much sense reading all your posts. I'm sorry for your pain Whimsy, been there myself, but life improved considerably after :) Hang in there sweetie.

A couple of things really rang true with me; my 17 year old can make me turn to the biscuit tin almost daily! That I have learnt to deal with. It's definitely the 'happier' times I struggle with, days or events out with family, meals out used to be a treat. I suppose I'm saving money at least! But I do miss those occasions.

The other thing I hadn't realised, and I am very grateful Whimsy mentioned it, is the thing about struggling to continue cos I fit in all my old clothes now, even tho I still want to lose another stone at least. I will think on this and get my head round it, maybe then I'll be able to get past it and carry on.

It's hard when we're emotional eaters, it plays such a big role in our lives, and I'm not entirely sure how/what to do about it?!?!

I think I have always known I am an emotional eater... I eat when I am happy, sad, stressed, nervous, excited etc.

Exante has made it more and more obvious for me that I am an emotional eater...
For example, if I have an argument with the fiance or get stressed about the wedding plans, I see myself opening the fridge or the cupboard and just staring... it's so weird.

I'm not going to lie, temptation has got the better of me in the past 2 weeks but it has made me think more about what I grab. Before it would have been a muffin, toast, block of cheese etc. whereas I have been getting a slice of ham or a piece of chicken.

I don't think it will go away overnight, but I think I am learning to deal with it better :)

Sara x

Thanks for the kind words Buttons. Last night was really difficult and I did really well and drove past several places I could have thrown the diet out of the window. Instead I had a choc orange bar for my dinner as it's my favourite (even though it was my second of the day). This week is 10 times harder emotionally than the initial decision to end it. At least having control over what I eat is one less thing to worry about. If I hadn't started this weeks ago I'd be forced to buy bigger clothes right now. Every cloud I suppose...

When at just 21, my first husband left me (little ****) I completely lost my appetite and dropped to 10 1/2 stone, my lowest adult weight, but just twelve days later I bumped into an old friend who dragged me out with a bunch of other friends, where I met and fell for the love of my life - and we've been married 19 years now. So I definitely believe in a silver lining :)

Back