Exercise & Disability

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by SoonToBeGorgeous, 18 November 2007 Social URL.

1. SoonToBeGorgeous

SoonToBeGorgeous Loving the Cambridge Diet

Cambridge Plan
    A certain person made a comment on another thread regarding the disabled being able to do 'some form of exercise'.

I swim - and that is about all I can do.

I have RA which affects my hands and my feet. I need two thumb joint replacements and an ankle replacement, neither of which can be done until I am 65 - 21 years away.

Sometimes I cannot swim since some days I am unable to hold onto the handrail to get into the pool.

I had to give up the medical profession I loved because of disability - not through choice by any means.
    I can just about write my name & address with a paper & pen, if it wasn't for the computer I would not be able to do much of any writing at all.

If it wasn't for a specially-adapted car which is automatic, I wouldn't be able to drive either.

These people who make offhand comments should think before making them, since until you are there in that position yourself you cannot possibly know what disability means and how if affects your life.

I was 42 and my whole life came to a full-stop.

Arthritis may not kill you but it can take your life away.
    Porgeous likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. blue_grapefruit

blue_grapefruit Gold Member

well said you! xx
    SoonToBeGorgeous likes this.
  4. SoonToBeGorgeous

Cambridge Plan
    Sorry, it turned into a rant.
  5. saffron

saffron Gold Member

cambridge diet
  6. sumayyah

sumayyah please try again

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    was cambridge now exante
    here here
    ignore people like that
    im also unable to do much weight baring excercise due to 12 ops on my right knee as a child so i swim as well
    there are several levels of disabilitys so obviously varies on what each individual can manage

i think your amazing hun, 16 weeks on CD and you DO regularly excercise
  7. spooky

spooky Banned

Sometimes you need to rant to make the point. Fwiw I had no idea you had any sort of issues with your health, It just shows how anonymous the internet is.
    Its marvellous that you found a way of keeping active. I hope that you get the treatment you need for your joints.
  8. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

just out of curiosity, if you don't mind. Have you noticed any change in frequency of bouts of inflammation while on vlcd?
  9. SoonToBeGorgeous

Cambridge Plan
    The Cambridge diet has cured my 'anaemia of unknown cause' !!!!

I take DMARD meds plus massive doses of painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Have only had one flare whilst on CD, which lasted about a week and a half where normally it would last for four or five weeks.

Incidentally, I have a blood test every four weeks due to the DMARD being extremely toxic - I had one the week I started CD and one every fourth week since - for 22 different processes - the blood tests have remained perfect for everything!

The Rheumatologist is really impressed with CD and has mentioned it to a few of her patients - a lot of RA patients have poor mobility and therefore find it difficult to lose weight.
  10. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

that's really interesting and good to hear that it seems to be having a positive effect. Wow, that is motivation enough to keep doing it. And it has affected the mysterious anaemia - brilliant evidence that the packs are providing all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals that we need.

I noticed last night that i haven't been waking up like i normally do (had sleep apnea - undiagnosed but I know what it is) so losing the weight has at least given me a better nights sleep (apart from getting up for the toilet of course).

Good luck with the rest of yyour weight loss. You are nearly half way. Well done
  11. SoonToBeGorgeous

Cambridge Plan

On being anaemic - I ended up in hospital in March, at death's door, with a blood count of 5.2!! Had 6 pints of blood transfused.

Then I had a gastroscopy, a colonoscopy, a CT scan and an ultrasound - and they could find no reason for the anaemia.

It has magically disappeared!
  12. blue_grapefruit

your Haem count was 5.2?!

it's supposed to between 12 and 15!

13. Hedgemag

Hedgemag Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Fasntastic posts STBG....lets hope all concerned can read it and be more understanding..
  14. saffron

saffron Gold Member

cambridge diet
  15. SoonToBeGorgeous

Cambridge Plan
    This is true!

I was admitted as an emergency.

My normal haemoglobin count is 13.6 which it has been now for nearly three months!
  16. blue_grapefruit

that is crazy crazy buisness!!!
  17. katief

katief Full Member

About to start Cambridge Diet SS
    I was very shocked at the comment you are referring to and thankyou for your subsequent post. There's always 1 ey!! your an inspiration and i think your smashing. I too hope you get the treatment you need u deserve it!! lots of love to you xxxxxx
  18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

Register an account for free to disable ads in threads!
  19. SoonToBeGorgeous

Cambridge Plan
    Thank you!

The main reason I can't have surgery is that the Orthopaedic Surgeon (hands) is worried in case he makes me worse.
    I have a different Orthopaedic Surgeon for my feet & ankles!
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.