Exercise Downfall

Lesley110

I am hoping that you may be able to give me some advice, I have been on the Atkins before and was really happy with the results, one thing and another and several years later decided to give it a go again. This time round everything was going fantastic on the induction, loosing weight at a steady rate and was happy. Then decided that I would do some serious exercise by going to the gym 3 times a week and swimming once or twice. This strangely has resulted in me putting on weight! I cannot figure out what on earth is going on, I have increased my water consumption and have now lost 2 of the 4lbs I put on but surely it can't be lack of water can it? Help!!

It might be because your turning fat into muscle, & muscle weighs more

I agree with what everyone else has said, when I first started to do CD she stuck me on one of those superdooper scales that records everything, and apparently my muscle tone is really good. She put it down to the fact that I dont drive and walk everywhere. But she also said that exersicing was not ideal while in ketosis, because burning fat and building up muscle at the same time would slow down weightloss. I have no idea of the science behind this, but I presume it has something to do with the body holding on to fat reserves. But i'm using the same principle when in ketosis with atkins, which i'm more than happy with lol! :)

Lol are you saying i shouldnt do exercise ?? (pleease!)

I'm a couch potato

When we first start to exercise seriously our muscles hold water. We need water and glycogen for muscles to function properly, which is why people on VLCDs are advised not to 'go for the burn' on SS. There are too few calories and carbs to provide this glycogen so injuries can occur.

Once your exercise routine is established, along with your regular fluid levels (and they vary a lot in women from day to day and week to week, even from hour to hour!) you will get a more accurate result on the scales.

Please do not weigh every day, as this can become an addiction. Once a week is fine if you can manage it. Of course this is up to you but scale hopping, if you don't see a good result, can make you depressed and even make you eat or just feel like giving up.

Water weight is not fat and it is temporary, so hang on in there a while longer! The exercise is doing you good.

What's spinning LO? I have this image of you sitting by a spinning wheel, LOL

Sounds terrible exhausting!

Sounds good, and thanks Lo

You have to be quite extereme at exercising to turn fat into muscle that quickly - FACT
You may find that the reason you have gained weight is due to water, your muscles need to retain water to repair, you may find by easing off slightly and by doing low intensity cardio works out that the weight will slowly come off again.
Try not to get too down hearted - just change things around and increase any exercise your doing slowly, dont go straight into it and work at maximum power as this causes muscle strain.

Good luck and hope it goes well. xx

Thanks everyone, I should explain that I am on the waiting list for a gastric bypass and was told to go away and loose weight to prepare for the surgery! So I have explained that to the gym instructor and my exercise is cardio only, i.e. 15 minutes on the treadmill, 10 on the rowing machine and 15 on the bike and that is it. Not a lot but for me serious exercise, and I am slowly building up my lengths in the pool, today 20. So compared to a normal person I am not doing a lot of exercise and not body building either, just trying to raise my heart rate to increase the calorie burn, well in theory. Perhaps it is water retention, who knows I will carry on for the next week and see, if nothing improves I will have to come off the diet and go back onto a low fat diet instead and see if that sorts it out.

Back