Exercise/loose skin question!

Latina Inglesa

Hi everyone, I'm on day 12 and absolutely loving it! As I have got quite a lot to lose I'm worried about getting loose skin.

I've done a lot of research and it seems that the best way to avoid it is to do lots of exercise, especially toning as the skin then has some muscle to adhere to.

However I have read on a couple of posts that by doing exercise you can actually hinder the diet as your body goes into starvation mode and the weight loss slows down.

So I need to try and find a balance I guess! I have a gym membership that I want to make the most of as it's paid up unti September. However I don't want to go to the effort of exercising only for it to slow me down. At the same time I want to minimise the loose skin!

Do you think that if I had an extra shake on the days that I went to the gym that it would be ok? I'm only talking about walking on the treadmill, maybe some moderate cycling and then some toning exercises (light weights etc).

I want to be able to wear a lovely dress to my sister's wedding which is in South America in Jan 2010! :D

Thanks everyone (and if anyone has any experience with loose skin I would be so grateful if you could share it please!)

Jo
xxx

Hey Jo,
Just wanted to say well done to you, your doing great, and its good to here your loving it as I really am too and I love reading posts from other positive people..

Im sorry I cant give much advice on the exercise or lose skin, I must say though the week I did the most exercise.. just lots of walking was the week I lost the least.. I personally still do walk as I feel healthy when I do that..

i am sure light exercise wont do you any damage.. it will help to tone up..

Just wanted to say good luck on your cd journey and stay motivated.. its all worth it .

x

Very good question. I was actually thinking exactly the same today. I've got 3 stone to lose and am worried about flabbiness too. I had every intention of doing a keep fit video every night for 10 weeks then I would be well on my way to being toned, but after reading some posts it put me off. I did the 20 minute toning section and planned on doing that every other night. I just don't know. I too want to lose the weight as fast as I can and don't want anything to slow it down.

Would doing the 20 minute toning exercise section every night harm my weight loss? I would appreciate an answer from someone 'in the know' lol becasue if doing the exercises will be good for me, I want to get moving asap lol. Sorry for droning on haha

Can you get a pilates DVD that you can do at home? I just do Rosemary Conley DVD's

Can you get a pilates DVD that you can do at home? I just do Rosemary Conley DVD's

Yes, there are lots on amazon for under a tenner and probably on ebay as well. I have a local gym membership and attend one of their classes.

Annie x

I've sent for a Pilates DVD by Micah Hudson (aerobics champ off the telly) - it was only £2.99 from play.com! (He also does Quick Fit, Bums & Tums and Yoga.)

Play.com (UK) : Micah: Pilates : DVD - Free Delivery

I'll let you know what it's like when I get it! :)

(My osteopath is a great believe in Pilates - it's the best form of exercise for when we get aches and pains in our backs and legs from the physical changes that occur in our bodies during weight loss.)

Thanks for all the replies, I might get a pilates DVD then! I do want to tone up as I go along but just don't want it to slow down my weight loss! lol

Think I'll try one too. Thanks

just pilates or normal yoga as well?? i have a yoga DVD that i haven't cracked out of the box yet...might have to have a look at that! i get bad aches and pains from the shifting weight which i wasn't expecting at all!!

just pilates or normal yoga as well?? i have a yoga DVD that i haven't cracked out of the box yet...might have to have a look at that! i get bad aches and pains from the shifting weight which i wasn't expecting at all!!
I've mentioned this before in a couple of threads, but I'll say it again for the benefit of new people. (All info from my osteopath - not me!)

When you lose weight, your posture improves automatically, because you're not trying to support that heavy supertummy! So you're standing straighter for the first time in years, and your body's going, "uh? What's going on? I'd better shift a few things around here!" So muscles, joints and even bones are adjusting - and it hurts! (I've been to my osteopath twice now to get 'rearranged' - it helps a lot!)

The other thing is legs - my osteopath explained that my legs have had to get stronger over the years in order to hold me up! (Sounds awful, doesn't it?) Now that I'm getting lighter, my legs are actually getting weaker because they're not working so hard. Many people here are noticing that, particularly those lugging kids and shopping around, or those with quite physical jobs. We need to try and strengthen our legs without resorting to cardiovascular exercise such as treadmills (which would crease us, as we're on a VLCD) - and Pilates is ideal for this. (I expect Yoga would be too.)

This is a tricky time for our bodies - we need to treat them kindly!! :)

Can exercise you can actually hinder the diet???

Hi

I have lost 2.5 stone and can't really see any changes apart from abit in my face and this weekend I saw my brother for the first time in over a month and he could not tell, which did put me in abit of a downer.

I just thought maybe it's because I'm not doing exercise and my body is not getting toned up that I can't tell...

like Jo said I also have read on a couple of posts that by doing exercise you can actually hinder the diet, so can we do it or not?

Or can we only do just Pilates and Yoga like Jaycey said?
:wave_cry: :break_diet:

It's cardio exercise that may cause a problem. Resistance/toning, that sort of thing is highly recommended when on a VLCD to help preserve lean mass.

Pilates sounds perfect :)

Hi KD, can you do Swimming as well? or is that a no no?
And sorry to go on but why can't you do exercise when on VLCD?
Sorry i'm soooo new to this...

Hi KD, can you do Swimming as well? or is that a no no?
And sorry to go on but why can't you do exercise when on VLCD?
Sorry i'm soooo new to this...

I would think swimming would be good, if it wasn't too intense a swim. You can exercise of a VLCD though, but from what I've read independently (not from Cambridge), too much cardio can do more harm than good as far as weightloss, metabolism and lean mass is concerned. This only applies to a vlcd.

Molly, I feel the same. Although I can see the weight loss I'm not as thin as I thought I would be at this stage. Looking at myself last night I realised it's because I'm carring a lot of loose skin. If that were gone I know I would have the figure I want (almost - am confident it's not going to take me long to get to target).

Does anyone know how long it will take to see results from Pilates?

Molly, I feel the same. Although I can see the weight loss I'm not as thin as I thought I would be at this stage. Looking at myself last night I realised it's because I'm carring a lot of loose skin. If that were gone I know I would have the figure I want (almost - am confident it's not going to take me long to get to target).

Does anyone know how long it will take to see results from Pilates?
Now THAT's a very good question - we're all sitting here pontificating about it, but has anyone actually done any yet??!! ;)

Some results from a regular CD Pilates bod would be brilliant - are there any out there?

:sign0163:

I've been for the last 3 weeks to a pilates class and although it's far too early to see any physical results I feel much better in myself and I find myself standing properly instead of slouching (which hides the belly doesn't it)
I found muscles I had forgotten were there and it really works your muscles without leaving you drained of energy which anything other than a gentle swim does to me at the moment.

Annie x

I've been for the last 3 weeks to a pilates class and although it's far too early to see any physical results I feel much better in myself and I find myself standing properly instead of slouching (which hides the belly doesn't it)
I found muscles I had forgotten were there and it really works your muscles without leaving you drained of energy which anything other than a gentle swim does to me at the moment.

Annie x
V useful info - keep us up to date!! :character00148: (Having done Pilates in the past, I know it's about internal muscle control, but just wondered how this worked/looked when your 'outward flesh' is suddenly reduced! Keep posting, Annie! :))

Back