Exercise on SS

Lol @ Paula.....get your swim suit out Chick.

Thanks, I already have an annual membership to the gym so don't want to stop doing the exercise, well can't really as I go with my friend and I'm not sure she would go without me lol. So are you recommending I have an extra meal on the days I do heavy exercise?

So are you recommending I have an extra meal on the days I do heavy exercise?

You need to have an extra shake about an hour after exercise.

If you want to make the most of your gym subscription, aim to make good use of the weights/resistance stuff in favour of the cardio machines :) More chance of retaining lean mass :)

Ah ok, thanks KD x

I'm a keen bodypumper and whilst it may have slowed my losses (21lbs in 5 weeks) I need the exercise for other health reasons...and I love it (well once I finish a class). Another key issue for me is to protect my lean muscle - I've worked hard for it.

Another key issue for me is to protect my lean muscle - I've worked hard for it.

Which is obviously very important so it may well be worth taking note of my next message which is going to be loooonnng :D

I have no idea what the view of Cambridge is on this, but I do have my own views :p

I have a book written by a very reliable author who states that too much cardio with a VLCD can reduced the metabolic rate AND reduce lean mass. I know he would have researched this intensively.

From The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

In severe dieting situations, aerobic exercise may actually be worse than just dieting (health benefits excepted). In one study, the addition of aerobic exercise (27 hours total over 5 weeks) to a very-low-calorie ketogenic diet (500 cal/day) caused a greater drop in metabolic rate than dieting alone and caused no additional weight or fat loss

And a whole load more, plus

The inclusion of aerobic exercise may do more harm than good at this calorie level.

Though he does also say that the more overweight a person is, the less of a concern there is.

I’ll quote from a published paper here (sure there must be more but I’m lazy)

Department of Human Performance and Applied Exercise Science, West Virginia University, Morgantown 26506, USA.
OBJECTIVE: Utilization of very-low-calorie diets (VLCD) for weight loss results in loss of lean body weight (LBW) and a decrease in resting metabolic rate (RMR). The addition of aerobic exercise does not prevent this. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of intensive, high volume resistance training combined with a VLCD on these parameters. METHODS: Twenty subjects (17 women, three men), mean age 38 years, were randomly assigned to either standard treatment control plus diet (C+D), n = 10, or resistance exercise plus diet (R+D), n = 10. Both groups consumed 800 kcal/day liquid formula diets for 12 weeks. The C+D group exercised 1 hour four times/week by walking, biking or stair climbing. The R+D group performed resistance training 3 days/week at 10 stations increasing from two sets of 8 to 15 repetitions to four sets of 8 to 15 repetitions by 12 weeks. Groups were similar at baseline with respect to weight, body composition, aerobic capacity, and resting metabolic rate. RESULTS: Maximum oxygen consumption (Max VO2) increased significantly (p<0.05) but equally in both groups. Body weight decreased significantly more (p<0.01) in C+D than R+D. The C+D group lost a significant (p<0.05) amount of LBW (51 to 47 kg). No decrease in LBW was observed in R+D. In addition, R+D had an increase (p<0.05) in RMR O2 ml/kg/min (2.6 to 3.1). The 24 hour RMR decreased (p<0.05) in the C+D group. CONCLUSION: The addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in preservation of LBW and RMR during weight loss with a VLCD.
Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combine...[J Am Coll Nutr. 1999] - PubMed Result

Which basically means
Cardio and Diet

Lost more body weight but lost more LBM (ie Lost more lean mass)
RMR (resting metabolic rate) decreased ie (metabolism reduced)

Resistance and Diet

Lost no lean
Increase in RMR (raised metabolic rate)

Conclusion: The addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in preservation of LBW and RMR during weight loss with a VLCD.

It’s seems that the lots of cardio had the opposite effect. Reduced lean mass, and lowered metabolic rate. So, whilst I'm not saying cut the cardio, I do believe that people can do too much cardio which can cause problems.

hmmm...its interesting - so weight training is the way

I'll add here, that I bet there will be a study out there that disproves this, though I really do trust Lyle's research. But, I haven't seen anything that says resistance could have a bad effect. There may be something out there that says loads of cardio is good (haven't been able to find it...but who knows).

Either way, cardio could be classed as suspect, so everything in moderation, and perhaps it's best not to assume that 'more' equals 'better', nor that lots of cardio will definitely help lean mass and raise met. rate.

You will lose weight on SS anyway. Exercise is so important and some light exercise will help towards new healthy habits, and give a sense of wellbeing, but personally, I believe the heavy stuff does better further up the plans.

Thank you KD, that's really interesting. Well I have a BMI of 38 so that puts me in the 'more overweight' section I should think. Maybe I will stick to my bodypump class, cos I feel that working and just reduce my cardio at the gym and do more weights.

Thanks again, that's been really helpful x

In terms of that investigation into the effects of cardio, I had already decided that the best thing I can do now is to lose the weight asap and then once the weight is almost there and I return to do 810 and upward, that is when I want to start jogging, squash, etc.

kd do you think i should have an extra meal or bar when im at work, i work 3 days a week xx

Well I'm back from Body Pump and it was really good.

Had a minor lightheaded moment about 15mins in but I was fine. Had more water breaks than most people but I managed to do more of the floor exercises than I normally do. Don't know if that's CD or if I'm just more motivated. Thanks for all your advice xxx

I play rugby, netball and gym it and I have to be honest I have had to decrease the excercise I do due to light headedness....but I think light excercise is ok. I think at the end of the day its down to how you feel personally. Take it easy though as your health is important!

x

Thanks Rugbygirl, I'm going to the gym on Thursday, but will take it slow I think.

my cdc has given me extra bars for the days i work so im having an extra cd meal and hopefully more energy xx

Yeah I think that might be an idea. Am seeing her tomorrow for my first weigh in so will have a chat about it.

Hi

The first time I played rugby after going on SS I got light headed.

But now I eat a little protein in the morning and have a energy drink before the game (to my surprise, the energy drinks are only 140 cals)

Now I feel better than ever, the small increase in Cals is easily offset by the energy used in playing.

The strange thing is standing in the bar afterwards drinking 6 pints of water :(

Last edited:
Think cos it's my first week I'm usure as to what tweaking I can do

Be careful, from personal experience I lost more on 810 with exercise than ss+ with exercise but then I was a very big bloke then. Bodies are strange but guess you need to taylor it to yourself. Remember to drink lots more water aswell. Great getting into excercise before you finish the diet as 1 it'll keep your metabolism going and its a great habit for after. I was a self confessed lazy git but love excercise now which seems so odd :)

Back