Exercise = Slowed Weight Loss ....?????

summergurl

♥3 Years Maintaining♥
Have just read somewhere that exercising on LT can actually slow your weight loss?
surely this cant be true if you are doing cardio exercise and not toning? :confused::confused:

I am a little worried now! lol

that had better not be true!!! Ive been going to the gym every single day for the past week and more and have worked out an hour each day. combine that with 1 hour walking.. thats a lot of exercise. Actually Im going for my weigh in tomorrow so I'll let you know if its good or bad

Its not that it slows your weight loss as far as I understand it, when you exercise you build muscle and muscle is heavier than fat, so what you loose in fat you build by muscle, if you understand a word of that lol

i do understand that yeah but surely you dont build muscle by doing cardio work out as this is soley based on getting your heart rate up and burning fat right?

fbtb - yes please let me now!!! :D

As far as I understand it you will build muscle, I am no expert on this though honey!

Gr .... now i dont want to work my ass off! lol

Hon, if you do it, you will be making your heart stonger, and while on LT we are loosing the weight that quick, that we are going to need exercise to tone up our flabby bits lol

Toning exercise is better for your weightloss than cardio while on a VLCD.

I won't bore you with the science, but here's the basic idea;
you are existing on 500ish cals a day with the VLCD diet
your body requires around 2000(min) cals a day to survive
it therefore burns fat to get those extra cals

however

if you start doing lots of cardio, you up the required cals for your body to stay living

your body can't convert fat to energy quickly, it is a slow process compared to converting any other substance (including muscle tissues)

if you do too much cardio, your body will panic as it does not have the energy for it, and you risk pushing yourself into so-called "starvation mode", where you body will hang onto everything it has for use at a much more critical later date (i.e. it's better to let your body go wanting now and use the fats when you have been 'starving' for a week, then use it up now and let you starve moreso later on)

remember, your body doesn't *know* that you are trying to lose weight (and in the hunter-gatherer-survival sense, having fat is a good thing as you will be able to live longer without eating), all it does it convert one substance into another (foodpacks into energy, fat into energy) and if one of them gets in deficit or the demand placed on the body to perform is too high, then it will do the exact opposite.

So, in a nutshell, don't overdo the cardio, or you will probably see your fatloss slow down. light toning is fine, but again don't go in for the "muslce building" as on a VLCD you won't be getting enough protien to really build muscle up anyway (and by the end of the diet you will have most certainly have lost some muscle mass too)

Afterthought; muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1lb is 1lb, wether it is a pound of brick or a pound of feathers.

The difference is, 1lb of fat takes up more physical room than 1lb of muscle, as muscle cells are streamlined and fat cells are bulky.

Diagram to help explain;
fat-v-muscle3.jpg

Thanks pete - great info :)

I might not bother with gyming it then and might just do some swimming instead .... is this going to be ok?

Well thats what I have been told and understood out the window lol

right I think that it depends on what your heart rate is on the cardio machines - if you are in the fat burning heart rate, you will burn fat if you are working harder than that it will make muscle - i plan to start the gym again next week or so and monitor the inches as well as the pounds ... i am hoping that if i start getting in the habit of the gym i will keep up with it when i am eating! xx

Toning exercise is better for your weightloss than cardio while on a VLCD.

I won't bore you with the science, but here's the basic idea;
you are existing on 500ish cals a day with the VLCD diet
your body requires around 2000(min) cals a day to survive
it therefore burns fat to get those extra cals

however

if you start doing lots of cardio, you up the required cals for your body to stay living

your body can't convert fat to energy quickly, it is a slow process compared to converting any other substance (including muscle tissues)

if you do too much cardio, your body will panic as it does not have the energy for it, and you risk pushing yourself into so-called "starvation mode", where you body will hang onto everything it has for use at a much more critical later date (i.e. it's better to let your body go wanting now and use the fats when you have been 'starving' for a week, then use it up now and let you starve moreso later on)

remember, your body doesn't *know* that you are trying to lose weight (and in the hunter-gatherer-survival sense, having fat is a good thing as you will be able to live longer without eating), all it does it convert one substance into another (foodpacks into energy, fat into energy) and if one of them gets in deficit or the demand placed on the body to perform is too high, then it will do the exact opposite.

So, in a nutshell, don't overdo the cardio, or you will probably see your fatloss slow down. light toning is fine, but again don't go in for the "muslce building" as on a VLCD you won't be getting enough protien to really build muscle up anyway (and by the end of the diet you will have most certainly have lost some muscle mass too)

Afterthought; muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1lb is 1lb, wether it is a pound of brick or a pound of feathers.

The difference is, 1lb of fat takes up more physical room than 1lb of muscle, as muscle cells are streamlined and fat cells are bulky.

Diagram to help explain;
fat-v-muscle3.jpg

Hi Pete just to check my understanding am I overdoing it by cycling 6 miles 4 days a week and doing nothing else apart from walking the dog

Any advice will be great, I am also considering swimming aswell

Thanks

I wonder if its different with different people,like trial and error sort of thing.Id say do excercise as at least its making the heart stonger and ya never know tick longer lol

xxx

Ahhhhhh i am now more confused than when i started! :(
Think i may just stick to what i did last week - hour on the wii fit which i have done and may just go swimming see what happens at weigh in on monday!

If i get 4lbs i will be happy!

I exercised at the gym throughout my LT journey 2 years ago, and my weigh loss was def better than this time! Its hard to know what to do isnt it?

I wonder if its different with different people,like trial and error sort of thing.Id say do excercise as at least its making the heart stonger and ya never know tick longer lol

xxx

Yep...good to have that heart ticking along. I'll go with what pete says though.

Lots of health benefits for exercise, but I wouldn't expect the weight to go down.

My Ketogenic Diet book states

The conclusion from this data is this: on a VLCD, weight training but not aerobic exercise will slow the drop in metabolic rate but not stop it. The inclusion of aerobic exercise may do more
harm than good at this calorie level.

So, basically, weights over cardio.

The creator of the Cambridge Diet Dr Alan Howard says that exercise is beneficial from a health standpoint and for lifestyle changes, but don't expect a drop in the weight.

re: the cycling/swimming/other activities

the general consensus on LL is as follows:
If you were doing some exercise before, then you will be fine to continue doing that exercise as your body is used to it.
If you were not doing any exercise before, it's best not to start while on the VLCD.

You body is going through enough as it is, without adding further strain to it by asking it to things it would (technically) not be fit enough to do even while eating healthily, let alone with <550cals a day

In my case, ever since I started walking/running home from work (around 4.5miles) my losses each week have dropped by 50%, from 5-6lbs a week to 2-3lbs, with a STS last week, and I feel hungrier all the time as well.

Of course, I can only speak from a personal point of view, but for me, the exercise cutting my losses isn't a deterrant - I would rather abstain for longer and enjoy exercise than sit around watching DVDs every night, bored and feeling like I should be doing more.

but that's just me.

Bottom line, listen to your body - if it tells you to take it easy, then take it easy, no matter how long you feel like you need to :)

Thanks pete - you are very helpful :D:D

I've been going to the gym now 3 times a week for the last 8 weeks and am still losing good amounts each week. I am now concentrating more on the weights side of things, which I enjoy more than the cardio. I am walking a bit more now but am trying to get my flabby bits in shape for when all the weight has eventually gone!

Back