Exercise

cupcake87

Right lovely Peeps,

This is a random thread but ive been thinking and thought it might help a handfull of people so ill put this up!

Baiscally, I am not a gym enthusast, as a general rule i would do just about anything to avoid exercise, i put in half assed attempts at the gym and a 5 minute bike to work normally takes me 15 because i take my time and dont push myself. . most of all i HATED running and im not joking i used every excuse under the sun to avoid running. . . however after months and months of my o/h explaining it really was the BEST exercise i shared a room with one of my friends on a night out. . this friend has hips, this friend eats what she likes, this friend has the most AMAZING stomach litrally practically a six pack i felt horredous next to her but being the person she is she calmed me down told me not to stress and to remember she has been consistantly into excercise since shes was 6 so naturally she has muscles like that shes developed them for years and that she would rather have had boobs (her theory as to why her boobs didnt devlop past an b cup is the same theory behind her metabolism and stomach, she worked out and ran and played sport from such an early age she never kept any fat on her) but she did explain if i tried running it would go a long way. . . .

anyway two days later in secret so no one would laugh if i gave up i donned my gym clothes and went for a run, one lap round the park .. with lots of stops . . less than a km and it took 10 mins and i was dying. . and i hated every second of it, but i had decided to do it for two weeks every other day. . and by the end of the day i really fancied a gym session . . strange, but i stuck with it and after the two weeks was up, i had worked my way up to 5km every other morning and. . while the first few steps and getting out of bed were a struggle. . the rest of it i was enjoying, i had loooaaads more energy and it helped kick the "mild depression" that had been hanging around.

I gave up over winter coz i didnt fancy running in the dark and risking getting mown down lol ! but ive just started it up again and while im still at the struggle stage i allready feel loooads better for it, so i thought it was worth letting others in on it.. . . the first few weeks ARE hard and you do have to push BUT it does make you feel better, the discpline in doing it really helps the diet, makes you think twice about what goes in your mouth. . . hmm i killed my self this morning if i eat that ive not done any good kind of thing, but best of all . . . even tho i wasnt stick thin.. . i started getting those little lines down by your hips and some definition on my stomach . . . its worth trying guys, i know this is a ramble and many of you are probably bored but honestly i HATE exercise but some how, you really do get into it, it really helps clear your head i hope this might help a few of you decide to give it ago :)

Hi

I agree with you, completely re exercise.:)
I am currently off sick with work related stress/anxiety and after the initial " poor me" weeks at home I decided to start walking the dog. OH walks her normally!;)
Just short walks to begin with, then stepped it up so I can now do 3 miles, 3 or 4 times a week. Wow I feel so much healthier. I would never have believed I could do it, joint problems etc were always an excuse!
I also staretd doing a Rosemary C dvd at home, and now do this 3 or 4 times a week. I do have to be careful but seem to have found the right level of exercise for me.
Can't wait for better weather at the weekends and I can go walking with hubbie, he is amazed at the change in me!
It helps my stress, relaxes me, gets rid of the " angst" when necessary and I hope to start doing couch to 5k soon, already downloaded on to my ipod.
Also found my ipod had a stepper so that helps to see how far I walk and I use "walk,run, jog" to work out distances too!
Can't believe it myself really!:eek:
I wont have time to go back to full time work!;)
The weight is not dropping off but doc says tablets I am on will slow weight loss down, but atleast I feel fitter and healthier!:)

You have motivated me into wanting to get off my ass n do some running! When I get going im fine it's just getting going that's the problem! Xx

Good luck.;)
Let us know how you get on?:)

i hate the gym - i find it SO SO boring i have tried to get DH to play either badminton or squash with me at least once a week but he isnt interested and I dont know anyone else who would be too I am not asking him to play anything serious just to keep me moving for an hour or so!!!

i would love to be able to jog/ run, but at the moment i really feel too big and i dont think that i would be able to do more than a few steps.

Up until the age of 34 I had never done any real form of exercise (besides walking- usually just to Tesco) I used to really not get that people liked it and laugh and call people 'mad' who went to the gym or ran (while secretly being a little bit in awe that anyone could be that fit or motivated but knowing that I never would be that person)

After losing 6 stone I started to worry about getting loose skin, so wanted to tone up- I got the Davina body dvd and strangely quite enjoyed it- I loved the fact that when I looked in the mirror I could see real changes- more definition to my arms, bum, chest, waist- it was really motivating. I then tried a 'pay as you go' gym and really got into it- again, I really felt that every bit I did was sculpting me- I was literally changing my shape despite always believing we were the shape we were born with (big boned- pear shape)

I now run outdoors 3/4 times a week and do cardio/strength training at the gym 2x2 hours a week. I have a 6 pack and my body looks athletic and toned, with no loose skin despite losing 8 stone. I have just signed up for a half marathon this year and hope to complete my first marathon early next year.

NEVER settle for what you 'think' you are- realise that you actually have the power to change if you can find something that really motivates you- it doesn't come easily or fall in your lap- you have to go out and get it and chase it and work hard to keep it, but it is worth it x 1 million.

Who would have thought the 19 stone girl who HATED exercise would one day sign up to a marathon? Honestly- find something you like doing and really go for it- it is amazing!

Up until the age of 34 I had never done any real form of exercise (besides walking- usually just to Tesco) I used to really not get that people liked it and laugh and call people 'mad' who went to the gym or ran (while secretly being a little bit in awe that anyone could be that fit or motivated but knowing that I never would be that person)

After losing 6 stone I started to worry about getting loose skin, so wanted to tone up- I got the Davina body dvd and strangely quite enjoyed it- I loved the fact that when I looked in the mirror I could see real changes- more definition to my arms, bum, chest, waist- it was really motivating. I then tried a 'pay as you go' gym and really got into it- again, I really felt that every bit I did was sculpting me- I was literally changing my shape despite always believing we were the shape we were born with (big boned- pear shape)

I now run outdoors 3/4 times a week and do cardio/strength training at the gym 2x2 hours a week. I have a 6 pack and my body looks athletic and toned, with no loose skin despite losing 8 stone. I have just signed up for a half marathon this year and hope to complete my first marathon early next year.

NEVER settle for what you 'think' you are- realise that you actually have the power to change if you can find something that really motivates you- it doesn't come easily or fall in your lap- you have to go out and get it and chase it and work hard to keep it, but it is worth it x 1 million.

Who would have thought the 19 stone girl who HATED exercise would one day sign up to a marathon? Honestly- find something you like doing and really go for it- it is amazing!

CP you never cease to amaze me - you are a true inspiration - lots of love xxxx

Hi everyone

Even walking is good for you, if you don't want to jog.
I would never have believed I could walk 3 miles just a few weeks ago!
Today I have been on a 3 mile slow walk with my dog, Holly, and it was beautiful, here in sunny Suffolk.
It has made me feel really happy and it was a joy! Not long ago I was scared to go out of the house!:)

Aww cocktail Princess thats wicked! and exactly highlights my point. . . when you get into it. . .there's something that keeps you wanting more :) .

Northern Lass, i know it is more difficult the bigger you are, i have no idea how big you are but even a few steps is a good start, i couldn't do much when i started i really couldnt joggin to the end of my road was enough ( the end of my road is approx a 10 sec jog) but i stuck with it and built it up, mapped out a small route and did it run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit till i could run it all, then i mapped out a bigger route, did the same, but even walking would help.

If me and Cocktail Princess can do it, anyone can (thats meant in a nice way Cocktail Princess :) ) x

What a wonderfully motivating thread! I've lost my exercise mojo recently as was too ill to train for two weeks and just got out of the habit. This makes me want to get my trainers on again. Many many thanks girls! x

wow cocktail princess you are in inspiration especially as you have lost the sort of weight I need to!!! How long has it taken you to lose that much? When did you start jogging weight wise? I feel too big to go jogging and as i have arthritus I cant put that sort of strain on my joints at this weight!

kate2962 said:
wow cocktail princess you are in inspiration especially as you have lost the sort of weight I need to!!! How long has it taken you to lose that much? When did you start jogging weight wise? I feel too big to go jogging and as i have arthritus I cant put that sort of strain on my joints at this weight!

One good thing if you have joint problems, try a rebounder (mini trampoline) you can get them for a tenner or so from tesco great fun gets your heart going and best of all NO pressed weight or anything on your joints might be worth a look, xxx

Hiya Kate

I was a 1lb a week girl- slow and steady so it took me just over 2 years to lose 8 stone. i didn't really start exercising until I had lost 6 stone, basically because I thought I would hate it. I know what you mean about joints- my knees used to crunch when I went up the stairs and ache a lot, but losing weight has made all that go.

I would stick to low impact exercise for now- if you can get to the gym go for the bike, cross trainer, rowing machine and walking on the treadmill. Walking outdoors is great, so is swimming. If you fancy a DVD, the Davina ones have a low impact version (she does the 'normal' exercise, but a woman beside her shows the easier version)

Maybe once you knees feel a bit better you can have a go at running, but you are right to be cautious just yet

Also, I take cod liver oil (lubricates your joints) and glucosamine sulphate (repairs cartlidge) and have found these help a lot

Good luck, Kate- and PM me any time
xxxxx

thanks for the info and advice. I used to take cod liver oil and the glucosamine but 2 years ago I was bad for 2 weeks and couldnt keep anything in me so stopped taking the tabs and didnt notice any difference so never did restart taking them! I may try them again and see if i feel any benefit

Back