extra easy-too much vegetables

barbs1965

Has anyone else had the same problem as me? I started extra easy and instead of a 1/3 of veg and fruit I had much more thinking this would help me lose weight much quicker. All I have succeeded in doing is having no problem in going to the loo but I now have griping stomach pains, so to help I ate more savioury rice then was constipated. :cry:

Also I know this is probably a silly question under the circumstances but are baked beans a super speed food?

According to the bible (SW bible that is) baked beans are a SS food.
As for your tum issues - if you aren't used to eating that much veg, you are suddenly giving your stomach a massive work out. EE is designed to give everything your body requires, so the 1/3 super free foods is there for a reason. Maybe bring it back down to a 1/3, then work your way up chomping through more veg if you feel you must. As you are eating more fibre, your gut craves water. You have to drink lots and lots to aid your digestion, or there will be pains.

Agreed!

It's not that lots of veg is bad, but all that fibre at once is a lot if you're not used to it. I've been a veggie for 6 years and only ate occasional chicken before that. Someone served me beef mince the other week, claiming it was faux meat. I only had a few mouthfuls before I realised there was no way it could be fake. But even those mouthfuls gave me hideous stomach cramps. My gut just isn't used to meat

Thanks for your replies, I will reduce the veg and just stick to 1/3rd for now but also increase my water intake, I just find it so hard to drink water as I prefer to drink coffee so much, I think I must be addicted to the stuff, I have a cupboard of herbal and green teas but I always go back to drinking my coffee. I know drinking lots of water helps to lose weight as well so I really must make an effort. This cold weather doesn't give you the inclination to drink water either, so has anyone any suggestions for that please.

Personally I think the 'water' thing is misleading, you need to increase your fluids, so coffee, tea, squash, hot water, will all be valid.

Agreed!

It's not that lots of veg is bad, but all that fibre at once is a lot if you're not used to it. I've been a veggie for 6 years and only ate occasional chicken before that. Someone served me beef mince the other week, claiming it was faux meat. I only had a few mouthfuls before I realised there was no way it could be fake. But even those mouthfuls gave me hideous stomach cramps. My gut just isn't used to meat

What an awful thing to do! I am mostly veggie but eat fish occasionally and when I have fish my tum will usually go a bit odd afterwards as it's just not used to it, can't imagine what would happen if I ate meat!

Also totally agree with the last post about fluids, I was worried I wasn't drinking enough water and asked my C about it, I was delighted to find out squash was ok as I easily drink 4 pints of squash every day and often more! I love squash!

Hi sorry to hear about you 'discomfort', theres a thread on here that talks about bloating on green day. I recon most of the remedies on there would go a long way to helping you with your bowl v's veg dilema :)

Malibu xx

once again thanks everyone, I will drink more squash as that is definitly more palatable than just plain water and at the moment i am sticking to 1/3 veg until my stomach settles and then i will increase the veg again:)

Personally I think the 'water' thing is misleading, you need to increase your fluids, so coffee, tea, squash, hot water, will all be valid.

Coffee and tea don't count really, particularly coffee, as the caffeine is a diuretic and will dehydrate you. Ditto with coke unfortunately:(

What an awful thing to do! I am mostly veggie but eat fish occasionally and when I have fish my tum will usually go a bit odd afterwards as it's just not used to it, can't imagine what would happen if I ate meat!
It wasn't on purpose. The woman catering this party was a bit of a doughnut and hadn't labeled any of her food. She thought she'd defrosted a veggie cottage pie.

Coffee and tea don't count really, particularly coffee, as the caffeine is a diuretic and will dehydrate you. Ditto with coke unfortunately:(

According to a nutritionist tea and coffee do count, diuretic or not it's a fluid and gets the kidneys working. Coffee may also reduce the incidence of Gallstones and Kidney stones. The diuretic effect is minimal, and does not have any affect on hydration.
The whole idea of fluid intake is to keep the body getting rid of toxins,in urine and bowel function, regulating temperature and sustaining blood pressure and replenishing fluids lost in sweat, and waste functions.

However if you were already dehydrated coffee and tea would not be beneficial, in fact neither would water as it would further upset the electrolyte balance in the body. An electrolyte solution would be needed.

Coke isn't good for you full stop!

Last edited:
I used to drink alot of coffee during the day but now find I enjoy a cup of boiling water instead sometimes with a slice of lemon.

Thanks for all your advice, I have increased my fluid and had reduced the veg and now my stomach has settled, I am increasing the veg again, in fact I am trying to eat HM soup for lunches because I am really struggling to lose weight.:)

Back