facebook..safe or not?

It's the same as being on here really

- you can choose to have your real picture or a picture of a cat or a cartoon

-you can tell your whole life story or keep quiet and just read everyone else's stuff.

-you can use your full real name, or use a nickname so only your friends know who you are (a few friends I know do this due to their lines of work)

I see more people on here using actual photos of theirselves and their full names than I do on Facebook, and posting very personal stories about themselves, but this website is googlable just like Facebook is (apart from the members only diaries etc).

Facebook (and any other social network or forum) is as safe as you make it really.

And of course this is a public forum. Anyone can read it.

There are some totally secure areas like Sliver Diaries etc, but this is up for anyone to see.

I suppose Facebook is what you make it. As has been pointed out you can make it very, very secure.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do xxxxx

i have everything on mine set as private, not a friend the you cant see. i also have it so even friends of friends cannot see... an i only accept people i know, trust. really good to keep incontact an see pics of family & friends. i never put inappropriate pics of my son anyway, why would you?..

So to me its safe as only people on friends list can, with the possibility of even blocking some friends from seeing some things too.

Im the same as Jess, only friends can see what i do. I have profile review on so even friends cant check me into places or tag me without me ok'ing it. Also have some people that i restrict seeing photos x

I think there is a need for people to recognise that "friends" should be exactly that on FB. Not colleagues, local dentist, garage owner etc. :) LinkedIn is for work related connections and networking. I certainly don't have over 100 "real" friends. I think sometimes it's more a mental issue and maybe peer pressure and low self-esteem......or plain nosiness :D

I think there is a need for people to recognise that "friends" should be exactly that on FB. Not colleagues, local dentist, garage owner etc. :) LinkedIn is for work related connections and networking. I certainly don't have over 100 "real" friends. I think sometimes it's more a mental issue and maybe peer pressure and low self-esteem......or plain nosiness :D

Again, this is personal choice - I have people from Minis on my FB, people who I have not met, yet I consider to be friends :D

Everything about FB is personal and that's why I like it, you can choose everything!

Again, this is personal choice - I have people from Minis on my FB, people who I have not met, yet I consider to be friends :D

Everything about FB is personal and that's why I like it, you can choose everything!

Yeah completely personal choice, although I do like a good clear out now and again.....old boyfriends from school....seemed a good idea at the time! :)

so which settings are the most important to have on facebook to keep yourself private apart from your accepted friends?
xxx

juicygooseface said:
so which settings are the most important to have on facebook to keep yourself private apart from your accepted friends?
xxx

In my opinion all of them. I just went through every setting I could find and made it as private as I could.

One to find is the one where you can make sure your fb won't be picked up by google etc. you can then test it.
I have mine quite private but I do have it so I can be sent friend requests. You can always ignore!!!

yeah ive changed it so that i cant be found through google and i also did check!
xx

yeah ive changed it so that i cant be found through google and i also did check!
xx

Also if there are people on FB that you really don't want to see anything at all of yours, then block them! That way they can't even find your comments on other peoples statuses x

It can be as private as you want it to be :)

I love Facebook and use it daily- though I have everything set to friends only and even then, at least half of my albums are restricted further.

I also have twitter- I flit between having my tweets public or protected.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back