failure is not an option.

My guess is that they are looking into it,but not making big noises about results for fear of putting punters off.

Possibly..but wow. Couldn't they do something easier, like find a cure for cancer?

We are talking about many years and mucho money. Do you really think that the likes of WW, SW etc really want to go far down that route to actually find an answer. They probably dabble in it though.

Guarenteed failure isn't the best way to open wallets!

But they don't. They pretty much guarantee success if you do what you are told. They are weightloss clubs. Not maintaining clubs. That would be a whole different ballgame.

Of course, you get a bonus with any diets. Get to goal, and they will almost promise you that if you eat sensibly and exercise more, you wont put the weight back on again.

Clever that:rolleyes:

At the end of the day, most people go on diets to lose weight. They don't often consider what happens after that.

I see more evidence on this board than I ever saw in a dieting club that people even remotely thought of the future...but even so, have a little look around...how many dieters here are really looking to the future?

Look at the maintenance forum, and you'll see little evidence that most of the dieters are dying to know how to achieve longtime success;) Could probably count it on one hand.

So, these clubs cater for short term success, and save themselves a lot of grief (and money) trying to find a long term solution.

Possibly..but wow. Couldn't they do something easier, like find a cure for cancer?

I think in a way that's the sort of thing i was alluding to,because in thousands of small ways every year that's precisely what is happening

We are talking about many years and mucho money. Do you really think that the likes of WW, SW etc really want to go far down that route to actually find an answer. They probably dabble in it though.

Yes if they want to "grow their busines" or what ever the hateful phrase is, rather than just stand still dishing out the same stuff year after year.The fact that human behaviour & motivation doesn't change doesn't seem to prevent commerce from striving to re-invent itself all the time

But they don't. They pretty much guarantee success if you do what you are told. They are weightloss clubs. Not maintaining clubs. That would be a whole different ballgame.

Of course, you get a bonus with any diets. Get to goal, and they will almost promise you that if you eat sensibly and exercise more, you wont put the weight back on again.

Clever that:rolleyes:

At the end of the day, most people go on diets to lose weight. They don't often consider what happens after that.

I see more evidence on this board than I ever saw in a dieting club that people even remotely thought of the future...but even so, have a little look around...how many dieters here are really looking to the future?

Look at the maintenance forum, and you'll see little evidence that most of the dieters are dying to know how to achieve longtime success;) Could probably count it on one hand.

I've only delved briefly into the maintainance section so far but it does seem to be rather empty.Sort of assumed that eveyone was elsewhere in the site.
Are you saying it's empty because people aren't maintaining-apart from you,vicky,summuerskye & a number of notable others.
Of course they could be maintaining off-site.My CDC has kept it all bar 1/2 stone or so off & doesn't do 'support' forums etc,but she's a CDC-It may be that working actively in the field also helps you stay at goal.

So, these clubs cater for short term success, and save themselves a lot of grief (and money) trying to find a long term solution.

Despite my feeble atempts to suggest the opposite I readily concede that you're probably are right.Which is quite bizarre if you think about over eating or bad-eating in terms of alcohol-abuse. It would never occur to anyone to tell someone to drink less,get their liver tests down to normal then set them free.Long term behaviour change & self awareness is the top of the list & frequently the determining factor in whether help is offered or not.

Do you,in your position of knowledge & experience think that the health servic should involve itself in the weightloss field more than it currently does? Or do you think obesity is ,however rampant within our society,basically an individual decision.You either live with it or tackle it essentially by your self but employing tools that other have devised?

I've only just seen this:eek:

I've only delved briefly into the maintainance section so far but it does seem to be rather empty.Sort of assumed that eveyone was elsewhere in the site.
Are you saying it's empty because people aren't maintaining-apart from you,vicky,summuerskye & a number of notable others.
Of course they could be maintaining off-site.My CDC has kept it all bar 1/2 stone or so off & doesn't do 'support' forums etc,but she's a CDC-It may be that working actively in the field also helps you stay at goal.
Yes of course, they’ll be those that don’t use forums, just as there are for people who are dieting. Since many people say that maintaining is more difficult (though I don’t entirely agree with that), and that it’s a life long ‘journey’, wouldn’t you expect there to be at least 30-40% as many messages in the maintenance section?

Where do the maintainers go? My thoughts are that most dieters don’t even get to goal. They put on some weight and then diet again, and again. I would also think that the majority of dieters don’t even consider there is a job to be done when they reach goal.

It’s a depressing thought, but I know that I was one of those people caught in the yoyo dieting world. It was only since doing my last diet, and reading messages on forums that I really thought about the after goal journey:eek: Okay…to be fair, it was the only time I actually managed to get to goal anyway:D

Sometimes it takes years of dieting before you can really see what’s happening. Of course, I think this is especially hard for women with pregnancies and usually an interruption in their routine and way of life. It makes it difficult to give full focus to their weight problems. There are different priorities.

Part 2 :D
Which is quite bizarre if you think about over eating or bad-eating in terms of alcohol-abuse. It would never occur to anyone to tell someone to drink less,get their liver tests down to normal then set them free.Long term behaviour change & self awareness is the top of the list & frequently the determining factor in whether help is offered or not.
Yes, but don’t you think that the idea of people with weight problems needing to do that head stuff is relatively new? Up until relatively recently, overweight people were just considered greedy..nothing more.

If we look at the last 100 years, we’ve had a couple of wars. People on rations, no cars, little junk food around etc. Weight problems weren’t considered an issue.

Then in the last 40 odd years we have people walking less, more adverts, more junk food around to cater for the busy working Mum, it was becoming for apparent that there was a problem. So what did the powers that be do? They suggested that we went on diets. The perfect solution. No doubt lots of research went on this, and people rushed to the slimming clubs for support. If they put the weight back on again, they were either greedy or just plain stupid.

It has only been in the last few years that the scientist have suddenly thought “Ummm….that doesn’t seem to be working…people seem to be getting bigger:confused:” It took a brave person to stand up and say that there was probably more than just greed going on.

..........and I still have more to say:eek::eek:

Do you,in your position of knowledge & experience think that the health servic should involve itself in the weightloss field more than it currently does? Or do you think obesity is ,however rampant within our society,basically an individual decision.You either live with it or tackle it essentially by your self but employing tools that other have devised?
Very difficult. It’s so complex. Obviously it’s our responsibility, but I think that most people need some level of support, not necessarily from the health service though. So yes, it’s an individual decision, but without knowing the facts it’s difficult to do it entirely on your own.

I would prefer money to be spent changing society’s attitudes to food. Better education albeit at school if necessary, more pressure on parents to feed their children healthy foods, and making it easier for them to actually do so.

Obviously, this will take time. People resist change. It has to be done very slowly and carefully.

Oh Jane - So sorry, didn't realise you had posted on this again.

Re. preventing weight gain, I tend to weigh on a weeky (if poss) basis, but sometimes half weekly to keep things under control. If I find that I am going up a few pounds, I will rein it back in by cutting portion size, reviewing what I have been eating and see what the cause might be, or even sometimes reverting to Lipotrim for a few days (not SSing, just replacing a meal or two a day) just to get back on track. Its not been easy over the years, as I have also battled cancer 5 times during this period and contrary to popular belief struggled to maintain my weight! Cancer never caused me to lose weight (unfortunately! ! !) So thats about it really, hope this helps.

Well done on your weight loss too hun, I read your thread constantly (among others) and love your upbeat attitude.

Thanks Karion for your well argued marathon replies.

you're absolutely right, I'm sure, about the lack of recognition of the need for 'head-stuff' in weight manaagement. I'd completely forgotten what a new problem mass obesity is in UK.

Eclipse,i'm so sorry to here about the cancer.hope it's gone away for good. your appraoch to maintainance sounds just the sort of model i'm going to try & use. Well done for keeping it up.

Thanks Karion for your well argued marathon replies.

:D I know:sigh: I looked at all my the replies after I posted them (didn't read them I hasten to add) and thought 'how embarrassing':eek: Think I was on a roll. Well...I was on something :D

Wow KD, you sure are back!!!

It’s a depressing thought, but I know that I was one of those people caught in the yoyo dieting world. It was only since doing my last diet, and reading messages on forums that I really thought about the after goal journey
eek.gif
Okay…to be fair, it was the only time I actually managed to get to goal anyway
biggrin.gif

Sometimes it takes years of dieting before you can really see what’s happening. Of course, I think this is especially hard for women with pregnancies and usually an interruption in their routine and way of life. It makes it difficult to give full focus to their weight problems. There are different priorities.

So true, this was the only time I ever got to goal, and whilst struggling over the past few days, I can say it wont ever be 5st worth of struggle!

I would prefer money to be spent changing society’s attitudes to food. Better education albeit at school if necessary, more pressure on parents to feed their children healthy foods, and making it easier for them to actually do so.

Yes, I have learnt a lot from this, my DD has a healthy appetite, the main thing for me right now, is to not let me make that in to an unhealthy appetite, which is what I was doing

Where do the maintainers go? My thoughts are that most dieters don’t even get to goal. They put on some weight and then diet again, and again. I would also think that the majority of dieters don’t even consider there is a job to be done when they reach goal.

Very interesting thought, and one to ponder. I wouldnt be here now if I hadnt hit that goal weight, that I do know.

And Jayne, well done, addressing these issues now will be of some help, maintaining is not the hardest thing I have ever done, but learning about it is, hope that makes sense, when it clicks it really does click, and if it was that hard then I would not be here now, I love being like this, and that takes the difficulty away!

:rotflmao:

And Jayne, well done, addressing these issues now will be of some help, maintaining is not the hardest thing I have ever done, but learning about it is, hope that makes sense, when it clicks it really does click, and if it was that hard then I would not be here now, I love being like this, and that takes the difficulty away!

Vicky,i've read &re-read this,& no i'm not sure I do get what you mean.
Any chance of putting it v simply for a thick midlander?

Here ya go :)
toiletpaper.gif
oh dear K-D's replying to her own posts now.

Is she OK?
do we have to do anything,or do we just leave her to have fun?

ps...love the loo roll

oh dear K-D's replying to her own posts now.

Hey!!! They were two different quotes!!:eek::eek:

Quoting never was your forte was it :D

Is she OK?
Only until midnight.
do we have to do anything,or do we just leave her to have fun?
Just don't come near...for goodness sake. Save yourself and your sanity :D

ps...love the loo roll

Help yourself. Plenty more where that came from (BOGOF in Asda)

You are a great one for lowering the tone!!

Ok, so can I explain in laymans terms, hmmm, probably not but Ill try.

Actually eating the right stuff is easy, doing the brain work is harder. when I eat the wrong stuff its a temporary high, and when i eat the right stuff its so good.

Its learning how to get the balance and for it to become second nature, the problem is that one wrong step leads to another and before you know it you are back to where you started.

Its so basic, eat good fresh healthy food and exercise = weight maintain, but its getting it sunk in!

Moi? Lower the tone?:eek: And just when I chose the more tasteful of my piccies to display.

I was going to post this one
toiletpaper9xb.gif

But that really would have lowered the tone....so I won't:p

Its so basic, eat good fresh healthy food and exercise = weight maintain, but its getting it sunk in!
That's the weird thing. For me it's like I'm two different people. One eats healthily, loves it, loves the feeling of control and not feeling bloated or have the afternoon slump. This person feels like she can eat like this forever. She has no cravings for the beige food, but if she does end up having some, she's happy to have just a bit.

Then another personality appears out of the blue. Beige stuff, more beige stuff, more beige stuff...heck...better not touch the healthy stuff because I might not have any room for more beige stuff...and since I've blown it all anyway:rolleyes: It's really hard to get out of that dieting mindset when you've spent most of your years in residence there :(

Back