Fair, forty but not fat!

Christmas Day wasn't as bad for calories as it might have been, but it was definitely over normal limits. The main meal was fine (I avoided potatoes and the roast parsnips) and had a small portion of everything else, but the Christmas pud (even a tiny amount) had scary calories in it :eek:

Ah well. I weighed myself this morning and I'm half a lb up, but that'll settle back down over the next day or two. Now I've got all the left overs to deal with.

Fruit scones are sitting on the kitchen bench calling to me. They're particularly nice one - fluffy with loads of cherries and raisins in them. Gorgeous with a cup of tea. Chocs, fudge and turkish delight are stacked on my desk and there's even a lemon drizzle cake waiting to be eaten :cry:I had to feed my kids the muffins last night before I cracked entirely!

Is it just me who finds it easier to diet when the nice things aren't in the house? Avoiding all this isn't easy.

I'm going to put the chocs and stuff away. I can have a single piece of fudge (40 cals) a day if I want to - same with a piece of chocolate (but not both! ;) ) I'm not too bad at ignoring those, but scones and muffins and cake are definitely a weak spot. Waaaaah!

Hope you all had a good day yesterday. I was lucky enough to get some really special presents from the hubby and kids, and my mum has given me some clothes that I'll hopefully be shrinking out of by Valentine's Day :D

"Mummy, do you want a chocolate?"

AAAAARGRGRGRGGGGGH!

Just chatting to the hubby and I'm glad I listened to him (for once) and started this diet off before Christmas. I was all for starting 2011 with the changes in eating - new year, new me and all that. But we're coming round to Jan now and I'm already a stone lighter than I would have been if I'd have listened to me :rolleyes: I hate it when he's right, but I'm not complaining this time!

Today's nosh:
Breakfast
Tea with milk (x2) plus 100g of vanilla low-fat bio yoghurt.
Lunch
Mixed leaf salad, spinach, yellow peppers, 2 quails eggs and proscuitto (oven baked to crisp it up). Pizza Express low-cal salad dressing.
Dinner
Covent Garden chicken and tarragon soup.
Snack
1 piece of vanilla fudge (41 cals. I know, I know!)

The aim for this week is just to maintain. A combo of TOTM, the Ireland trip aftermath and Christmas might be a bit much all in one week. If I drop anything I'll be thrilled. Heck, if I stay the same, I'll be thrilled.

The food is working. I'm actually feeling much healthier as a result of eating so much fresh fruit and veg and avoiding the bulk of so many carbs. All I need to do now is get rid of that second stone, ideally by the end of Jan (if not, then by Valentine's Day) and then settle in for the long-haul through to the summer.

Starting to think about packing again. Heading to Edinburgh for Hogmanay with an old school friend. She'll be sympathetic to the diet, although I suspect the champers will be free-flowing. Will see what the weigh-in is like on Friday and might indulge in two or three glasses of the bubbly if I've lost some this week.

It'll be weird talking about it. Other than my hubby, no one in real life knows I'm on a diet. I'm not sure why I haven't mentioned it. Part of it is that I want people to spot it when my weight loss does become obvious - and I'll know it's a genuine compliment then, rather than people trying to make me feel good about myself. I think the other part of it is fear about what happens if it goes wrong. I'm not good at failure ;)

It's back to work on Tuesday. It's much, much easier managing what to eat when I'm working as I don't have time to even think about temptations. Food becomes a lot more functional then and less about things I'm craving - plus I walk a lot more too. I've been pretty bone-idle these past few days!

I'm feeling quite positive about losing weight at the moment. 1 stone has gone. It's NOT coming back! The second stone doesn't look quite as scary from here. I honestly doubt I've lost anything much/at all this week, but with sticking to what I'm doing through Jan I know it should work and the lbs should flee for their lives!

So, here's hoping.

And today's menu:
Breakfast
Yoghurt and a cup of tea
Lunch
Carrot and coriander soup
Dinner
Salad with roast duck and the last of the quail eggs
100g cherries

Plus a couple of pieces of sugar free chewing gum.

Tomorrow, I think it's going to be spicy chicken with the salad and there are loads of cherries left to scoff. :D Feel like I'm doing ok here...

Thank you both. Alpzzyj - I'm trying hard with the food. I haven't got many calories to play with so the basic menu is always the same. Yoghurt, fruit, egg, salad and soup. The main differences are the types of meat and fish, as well as the fruit, nuts and veg I chuck in with the salad. I keep altering it so I don't get bored and am treating myself to some of the more expensive fruit that I really, really like - cherries, pomegranates, blueberries and so on. I feel less deprived that way ;)

Meanwhile, there's still chocolate everywhere here. Thank God the tin of Roses has been demolished by the scavenging hoardes, but there's still a mouthwatering tin of Belgian truffles lurking in the kitchen...

Thankfully, I've got to focus on work today, so I can distract myself. Got the new chicken run arriving tomorrow - the chooks will be thrilled - although we've got the fun of laying a patio base to go underneath it to go first. DIY and me aren't friends. Last time I laid a patio, we ended up with a large puddle right in the middle every time in rained.

Hopefully the chickens won't notice... Tra la la...

Spicy chicken strips with salad for lunch and an artichoke and mushroom omelette tonight.

Go away little lbs. You know you want to...

Hi Moog,

You have made a great start to your weight loss - it's really lifted my mood today so thank you!!
Good luck for weigh in this week!! x

Hi Helen :) I'm finding this 'diet' ok, to be honest and it works fine with cooking for the family as well. We all tend to have the same meat/fish in the evenings, but I'll have it with salad, whereas they'll have a jacket spud or rice or something. I've got a long way to go yet, but so far so good. Hopefully the next stone will be gone before I know it (and yours too!)

I've had a sneaky peek at the scales today. It's been a full week, but I'm going to shift my weigh-in day to Friday just to make life a bit easier. It looks like I've shifted between 1 & 2 lbs this week. Not much, but then it is Christmas week and I've been taking it seriously easy in terms of doing things. Hopefully it'll be a full 2lbs tomorrow, but if not, then any loss is still a loss. They're all little steps in the right direction.

I'm determined to stick with it.

Still between 1 and 2lbs lost this week, so I'll call it 1lb in the hope that next week will be a good one.

Hogmanay in Edinburgh to look forward to (I've almost packed) and I'll see you later in the weekend. As always, it's trickier sticking with it in someone else's home, but I'll stick with it as best as I can. Hoping for 2-3lbs this week coming to keep the feel-good momentum going.

Happy New Year to you all :) Here's hoping for a good one for us all.

Happy New Year!

Had a great time away. Stuck to the diet, although the past two days have been slightly more calorie-laden (800 on food) plus more plonk than I want to think about.

Well, it was bad, but it could have been worse... Really, it could!

So I'm home again now and wondering what damage I've done. The calories in the alcohol will have made me add weight on, plus my whole metabolism needs to shift back to where I had it. But the champagne was sooooo nice. Waaaaaah!

So, back to it in the morning. I want to shift more weight before Friday, but it all depends on the damage I've done. How bad is booze on a low cal diet?

Bah! I've put 2lbs on over New Year. Not the news I wanted to hear, because I wasn't that bad with the booze, but obviously bad enough! Hopefully it's mostly water retention and will settle down over the next few days (well, I can hope, can't I?)

Today's menu is back to basics: tea and a banana for breakfast, salad with prawns and quails eggs for lunch, and it's going to be another salad for dinner as we have loads in the fridge and it all expires on the 6th! Blueberries and yoghurt afterwards sounds good to me.

Hopefully will be back on track with the weightloss later this week and will have an overall loss by the end of the week. Feeling a bit gutted as I've been trying really hard and other than that haven't slipped at all. It's to be expected though, and I've no one to blame other than myself.

6 months, 1 week, and about 4 stones to go.

Down 1lb today, and things are heading back to normal. Hopefully I'll be pre-New Year weight tomorrow and then can shift a little bit more before my weigh-in on Friday. I was hoping for 2lbs to be gone this week, but with the gain that doesn't seem so likely. You never know though - my metabolism might go mad and and I'll drop more than I'm expecting.

It's like playing roulette. Place your bets, please!

At least I'm back to where I was pre-New Year. Can't believe I've had to shift that couple of lbs twice, but it also shows just how easy it is for me to put on weight. That's going to be interesting (to say the least) when I get back to target weight.

Feeling a bit despondent with the whole thing at the moment. It doesn't feel like I'm making any progress because I've been bobbing around the same three numbers on the scales for over a week and the overall loss is going to be really low (assuming I can shift another lb between now and Friday). Next week HAS to be better, which is something.

I don't want to give up, and I'm not going to give up - but it would be lovely to be counting down properly again on a new set of numbers, rather than the same ones as last week.

:(

Breakfast: tea and milk

Snack: Go Ahead forest fruit and yoghurt bar

Lunch: Miso soup and banana

Dinner: mixed leaf and rocket salad with lemon sole goujons and tomatoes. Tiny cube of stilton.

Tomorrow's menu is going to involve some wild Alaskan salmon - think I'll poach it in a little white wine and lemon. Got to use the remnants of the salad and spinach up.

It's been a bit of a fishy week. Caved to temptation and ate a lobster tail yesterday. At 179 calories, it was a bit better than the 224 of the goujons tonight - but lobster's just too pricey to eat regularly.

In other news, my new egg poacher arrived from ebay (post from Hong Kong takes forever!) so now I can have heart-shaped poached eggs done in the microwave. Ahhhh <3

Back