Fasting & SW!

Ahhhhh 10 10 that brought tears to my eyes thank you so much :) ...... my names Dijla, its arabic .... as in the River Tigress which flows through Iraq/Iranbut everyone calls me Dij xx

Dijla, what a beautiful name! Mashallah :)

xxx

Hey guyz
I start fasting on the 12th too.
My aim is to have a bowl of fruit chaat when i break the fast and after performing my pray have a SW meal.
The rest of the family will be having fried food (samosas, pakoras etc..) but i'm gonna try to stick to plan much as possible.
As for before sunrise, a glass of milk and maybe fruit, that's if i fancy some at that early time! It's gonna be hard but i'm gonna try, i need stick to SW healthy eating plan much as possible! :)

Will have to share ideas with you guys throughout the month of Ramadan. :D

Anywayz, Ramadan Mubarak! to all who start fasting soon! :)

Hey Subs! Ramadan mubarak to you too :)

Sounds like we have the same ideas about avoiding the fried stuff ;) Also regarding having the fruit at 3am, haha, I don't think I could! Will have to stock up on Alpen Light bars tomorrow ;)

Yes, my family start fasting on thursday because the mosque we attend start Ramadan on thursday, but another mosque in our city start Ramadan tomorrow. So in our city 1 mosque starts fasting tomorrow and 2 mosques start on thursday! :confused:

Last year was good, pretty much everyone did it at the same time! And even Eid was together! But wishing for it two years in a row... I think we all jinxed it :(

Inshallah will have to report back after the first roza! :) Unless I zonk out after praying, haha xxx

Hey guys... Hope anyone who is fasting isn't finding it too difficult. It'll be over soon!

I tried to stay up last night until sehri (not technically sunrise but 'before dawn' I guess!) but got really sleepy around 1am, so I went to sleep with an alarm on for 2:30am... which I turned off when it beeped, uhoh. Then I had one of those 'blink sleep' things, so when I woke up again it was 4:53am and I couldn't eat anything. I had actually eaten Weetabix & Scan Bran around 10pm though, so maybe that's why I'm feeling alright-ish now :)

Woke up around 8:15am, and then every five minutes until 9:15am when I got out of bed to get ready for WI. Managed to get into a pair of size 10 trousers (that I wore in high school!), I was absolutely chuffed :D They're a bit tight around my legs but not uncomfortable - they're my new WI trousers as the other pair were a size 14 and I decided I shouldn't wear them anymore due to them falling down when I was running across the road last week :eek: So hopefully they will get a bit looser as the month goes on :)

Felt a tiny bit hungry at WI as everyone was tucking into their hifi bars and bananas - gosh bananas smell good! Didn't have the strength to go pick up the curry book for the samosa recipe, plus I think I would have gotten really hungry if I'd looked in it! Not feeling really that hungry yet, just the usual empty sensation... If on a hunger scale of 1 to 10, you asked me how I felt... I'd say about a 3, which I guess is good for the time being, but the hours will start to go much much much slower pretty soon for me, it's like there's nothing to do after 5pm!

Will report back later :) xxx

Last edited:
Well done, mate

You are doing so well and getting into teensy weensy trousers is an extra incentive!

Thinking of you lots

xxx

Thank you hun, really means a lot :)

Starting to get hungry now! Trying to keep myself occupied downloading things for my mum and browsing on here... Watch my post count go shooting through the roof this month! :8855: xxx

I think your willpower is amazing, I know I couldn't do it! Thanks for keeping us all updated on how the fasting is going, I find it really interesting :) x

can i ask a silly question? :eek:

i really hope nobody is offended by this, but what happens if you do eat something during the day? are you allowed to continue for the rest of the month or is that it? xx

Really admire your determination so very well done

Thank you hun xxx

I think your willpower is amazing, I know I couldn't do it! Thanks for keeping us all updated on how the fasting is going, I find it really interesting :) x

Will be sure to keep you updated through the month :) xxx

can i ask a silly question? :eek:

i really hope nobody is offended by this, but what happens if you do eat something during the day? are you allowed to continue for the rest of the month or is that it? xx

It's not silly! It's curiosity! If you eat during the day intentionally, your fast is broken. You can keep the next one, but the one you broke no longer means anything. You can make it up once the compulsory Ramadan fasts are over. If you eat something unintentionally, your fast is still valid.

Another thing I thought you guys might like to know - having a blood test doesn't break your fast, but having an injection does. This is because the blood is just being withdrawn from your veins, but the injection is releasing something into them.

I think today's fast was rather easy, though with previous years' experience, it was probably because I didn't eat anything before sunrise. 23 hours of no food and I was fine, thank God. Didn't tuck into anything fried, don't intend on doing so either! I know the samosas are in the kitchen, but I suggested my brother should have them in the morning so I think they're all accounted for ;) Going to pray after updating my food diary, only had 12.5 syns and going to have my HExs after prayer. Aiming to stay awake this time, so will probably slip some coffee into the milk :p and be posting on here.

Hope everyone else had a lovely day xxx

I hope everything goes we for you and it is really amazing thing you are doing :) I would love to have a strong faith but nothing really connects with me :(

I hope everything goes we for you and it is really amazing thing you are doing :) I would love to have a strong faith but nothing really connects with me :(

To tell you the absolute truth, I don't feel connected to my religion. I follow it as I was bought up to, more out of obligation than wanting to. I experience the odd day where I feel guilty about not being a better Muslim, but my main thought is always 'What if Islam was wrong and I wasted hours and hours of every day praying? Where is the concrete proof that it exists? Where is the proof that God exists?'. There is always an answer for every question that comes into my mind, so I give up.

This time, even though this is only my first fast, I have felt the need to pray, as praying is an important part of the fast. I messed up my prayer last night through sleepiness but actually stopped, took a deep breath, and started again with my mind fully focused. That being said, I should go and do it again, fully focused.

ilovelife, I'll let you know if I feel any more connected by the end of the month :)

Meli, if you're reading, can we have some thoughts on this? I have always wanted to ask a revert what pulled them towards Islam. I really want to ask my aunty who converted before she married my uncle, because I know she could have easily stuck to the lifestyle she grew up with, drinking and eating pork etc, but just labelled herself a muslim for the sake of the marriage, but she didn't. I haven't yet been in a situation where I'd feel comfortable asking her even though I've known her all my life, and sorry Meli if it's a bit rude that I'm asking you, you don't have to reply!

xxx

I have been following this thread with curiosity, interest and amazement. Well done to all of you who can do this and good luck over the coming fasts. xx

What happens after you have fasted? Does it get you into a higher state of heaven/mecca/whatever it is called (sorry, but I didn't do religious studies so I don't really have a clue when it comes to things like this) x

What happens after you have fasted? Does it get you into a higher state of heaven/mecca/whatever it is called (sorry, but I didn't do religious studies so I don't really have a clue when it comes to things like this) x

Hi,
I can give you an answer on this, but this answer would be of how i was told about the month of Ramadan (the month we muslims fast during) by my mother.
Our Prophet Mohmamad and his people went hungry for whole 30 days while the were in hiding during war when Islam was revealed. After 30 days without food or water when they were able to come out of hiding the had a big celebration and food and drink was able. So from then onwards all muslims fast during those 30 days which were named the month of Ramadan. After Fasting we have the celebration of Eid.
By doing this we reliase what our Prophet and his people went through for our religion. We also appreciate the fact that we have lots and food & drink available to us. We also are able to understand how people around the world who live in poverty and don't have anything to eat or drink live their lives. We can look forward to a meal after sunset but there are people in the world who don't have anything to eat or drink day or night! :(
During the month of Ramadan we give Zikat (donations) to people who don't have food or can't afford food & to poor widows who don't have any source of income and have young children. We do give donation throughout the year but during this month we donate Zikat which is 2.5% value of all our savings and properties (this includes gold, shares, bonds etc). We donote 2.5% amount in money.:)

So i suppose this all is a good deed and does benefit alot of people in different ways.

Hope my answer has answered your question, but please if someone else knows more about all this please do reply because i would also like to know more. :)

Last edited:
Hi,
I can give you an answer on this, but this answer would of how i was told about the month of Ramadan (the month we muslims fast during) by my mother.
Our Prophet Mohmamad and his people went hungry for whole 30 days while the were in hiding during war when Islam was revealed. After 30 days without food or water when they were able to come out of hiding the had a big celebration and food and drink was able. So from then onwards all muslims fast during those 30 days which were named the month of Ramadan. After Fasting we have the celebration of Eid.
By doing this we release what our Prophet and his people went through for our religion. We also appreciate the fact that we have lots and food & drink available to us. We also are able to understand how people around the world who live in poverty and don't have anything to eat or drink live their lives. We can look forward to a meal after sunset but there are people in the world who don't have anything to eat or drink day or night! :(
During the month of Ramadan we give Zikat (donations) to people who don't have food or can't afford food & to poor widows who don't have any source of income and have young children. We do give donation throughout the year but during this month we donate Zikat which is 2.5% value of all our savings and properties (this includes gold, shares, bonds etc). We donote 2.5% amount in money.:)

So i suppose this all is a good deed and does benefit alot of people in different ways.

Hope my answer has answered your question, but please if someone else knows more about all this please do reply because i would also like to know more. :)

That's about it that I know regarding Ramadan aswell... I will make an effort to find out more and let you know if there's anything interesting. A few things written on the Ramadan timetable issued by the mosque:

The month of Ramadan is one in which the holy Quran was revealed as a guide to mankind, also clear signs for guidance and judgement, so whoever is present during this month must observe fasting.

The holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said when the month of Ramadan arrives, the gates of paradise are flung open while those of hell are closed. At the same time, the devils are put in chains.

In the last ten days of this holy month, there is one night which is better than a thousand nights, in its blessings and merits. The revelation of the holy Quran took place in a night of this month known as Lailat-ul-Qadr, the night of power.

The holy Prophet (PBUH) said 'the first ten days of this month are of Allah's mercy. The middle ten days are of forgiveness by Allah. The last ten days are of salvation and freedom from hell'. The holy Prophet (PBUH) also said that those who fast during this month with faith, sincerity and to earn rewards of pleasure of Allah will have all their sins forgiven.

xxx

Last edited:
Friday 12th August 2010

Fast closing: 3:30am
Fast opening: 8:47pm

Fast closing half an hour later than yesterday, as my mum thinks the mosque are really unrealistic in the time they give. We are now following roughly the same times as Hyde, Preston, etc. London too, ish, but sunrise and sunset are about 10 minutes earlier there than here in Manchester.

Went to sleep around 2am last night, again couldn't stay awake once I knew that I had another potential hour and a quarter of sleep! Had 4 alarms on so I had no excuse not to wake up. Went downstairs and nobody else was awake, so woke my brother, sister and mum, and trudged off downstairs to eat. Mum and sis just made it down in time to eat something quickly, I had weetabix with 150ml skimmed milk and a tsp of sugar - Emma-Louise's post somewhere else about being happy using sugar on weetabix for syns sprang to mind, plus it was right there on the table infront of me! A couple of glasses of water, and then I went back up, fresh and wide awake and rather pissed off at myself for it! My brother didn't wake up - he attends the mosque we got the original calender from and is quite... loyal, I guess is the word. He said by the time I woke him up, it was too late for him to eat anything (he should have been up at 3am but he won't get up himself so one of us will have to get up half an hour earlier to make sure he gets up) so he's having what we call a 'nihaar roza', 'nihaar' meaning 'without sehri' ('sehri' = the time we eat in the morning) and 'roza' meaning fast. They're usually a lot easier to get through, like mine yesterday. Since I woke up this morning I have been hungry and tired - even though I got out of bed after 11! Just had a long hot shower to pass the time and also freshen up before prayer - which I have delayed too much already so I should scoot off now. Might have been a bad idea though, as showers usually make me hungry :(

I hope everyone else is okay and enjoying their Fridays! Juma mubarak (literally 'Happy Friday' - every Friday is pretty much a mini-celebration in itself) xxx

2 hours to go and I'm feeling about 6/10 in terms of hunger. Time seems to be going really slow - glad I'll have EastEnders to speed up the last half hour!

Losing my patience a bit at home, too much shouting and fighting and arguing. Have tried to stay out of it today by sitting in the dining room downloading things for mum - seems to be working about 75%. I forget that everyone has loud voices and legs that can follow me wherever I may go. I can also smell the food that has been warmed up for my dad and youngest brother, who aren't fasting... I can resist though :)

Made a thread earlier about Muller Light yoghurts - just incase there is anybody reading and didn't see that thread, I thought I'd share the point here. I may have been a bit slow in realising this, as some of the replies on there have suggested, but the yoghurts are not suitable for vegetarians, meaning they're not suitable for Muslims. I just felt that it was duty as a Muslim to share that information, as you're obliged to tell people in situations like this. I now feel a bit dumb though actually, as everyone supposedly already knows about this? :(

xxx

That's about it that I know regarding Ramadan aswell... I will make an effort to find out more and let you know if there's anything interesting. A few things written on the Ramadan timetable issued by the mosque:

The month of Ramadan is one in which the holy Quran was revealed as a guide to mankind, also clear signs for guidance and judgement, so whoever is present during this month must observe fasting.

The holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said when the month of Ramadan arrives, the gates of paradise are flung open while those of hell are closed. At the same time, the devils are put in chains.

In the last ten days of this holy month, there is one night which is better than a thousand nights, in its blessings and merits. The revelation of the holy Quran took place in a night of this month known as Lailat-ul-Qadr, the night of power.

The holy Prophet (PBUH) said 'the first ten days of this month are of Allah's mercy. The middle ten days are of forgiveness by Allah. The last ten days are of salvation and freedom from hell'. The holy Prophet (PBUH) also said that those who fast during this month with faith, sincerity and to earn rewards of pleasure of Allah will have all their sins forgiven.

xxx

You do know alot too.
Yes the Lailat-ul-Qadr night all muslims look forward too.

Good luck to all with fasting and performing their prays! :)

I have a friend who's fasting now too, I have known for a while that you can't drink water but she said if you feel ill then you can, she knows I think that's dangerous but it's her religion and I have to respect that.

Mind you she also said that some people aren't as strict as she is, her cousins for instance will allow themselves water.

She said she's going to be eating a lot of low GI stuff, porridge for example is low in syns (Oatsosimple is lush!) and will keep you going for a while.

I just feel really sorry for people when Ramadan falls in summer, I said to her that people who work nights must be ecstatic because they sleep for most of the fasting period, that made her laugh lol!

Back