Fasting & SW!

Hehe that's right it was for a couple of years but moves as the Islamic calendar is lunar :)

It'll end up going back October eventually hehe x

in many years to come haha

2015 is gonna be hard cos ramadan will be over the longest daylight hours then

What are u planning on eating for suhoor?

my hubby suggests foul which is an egyptian bean with couple boiled eggs and a bit of khobez bread( its a flat bread similar to fahita wraps
with some fruit and yogurt foul is filling keeps u going for hours :)

though to share this or for those who dont use the site here is what it says

Many members have contacted us for advice about Ramadan, the ninth month in the Islamic calendar when Muslims fast (no eating or drinking) between sunrise and sunset. With eating patterns changing so much and abundant family meals shared after breaking the fast, is it possible to stay on Slimming World’s plan during this time? Yes, it is and we’ve brought together some hints, tips and ideas to help Food Optimising fit in perfectly…
[h=4]Leading up to Ramadan [/h] With any up and coming change in routine – from birthdays, holidays, festivals, feasts, fasts and weddings – it can be ever so easy to ease away from our healthy Food Optimising habits in the lead up to it. However, staying on track and Food Optimising 100% during the days (or even weeks) before means that you minimise any damage done during that challenging time. Although you’re likely to be cooking with your family during Ramadan, the weeks before are an ideal opportunity to cook up some of your favourite Food Optimising dishes, and freeze extra portions to add to your freshly cooked Suhur and Iftar meals. That way you’ll always have a Food Optimising dish on hand when you need it.
[h=4]Suhur (pre-dawn meal)[/h] Food Optimising has been developed to help us stay fuller for longer, so Free Foods are ideal for Suhur. Free Foods that are high in protein – like lean halal meat – are the very best at keeping us satisfied for longer, followed by food like rice, beans and grains. Healthy Extras like wholemeal bread and cereals are also great option to help you create delicious meals for your family. How about:

• Omelette filled with halved cherry tomatoes and 50g crumbled feta cheese.
  • Fat free yogurt topped with 85g prunes and a drizzle of honey (1 teaspoon is 1 Syn).
  • Chickpea patties with raita.
  • Spiced mixed fruit salad
  • Porridge (your Healthy Extra choice of rolled oats and milk) piled high with sliced bananas and mixed berries.
  • Two slices of wholemeal toast with poached eggs, baked beans and mushrooms.
  • Scrambled eggs with Quorn tastier sausages (½ Syn per 50g sausage).
[h=4]Iftar (meal after breaking fast) [/h] This is often a sociable time, with family and friends coming together to share a meal – and there are lots of ways to make it a Food Optimising-friendly occasion!
It’s recommended that this meal, like Suhur, should be well-balanced, containing foods from each food group, such as fruits, vegetables, meat/chicken/fish, bread/cereals and dairy products. Food Optimising fits the bill perfectly!
If you’re attending a family meal or gathering where you’re not doing the cooking (lucky you!), look out for options that are packed with Free Food like tomato-based sauces, vegetables, lean cuts of meat and fish, plain rice, pasta and grains.
Watch out for:

• Fatty and sugary foods that are deep-fried or pastry based, eg samosas, pakoras. As well as being high in Syns, they’re not ideal on an empty stomach.
  • Caffeine-containing drinks – drinking too much tea makes you visit the loo more – which causes the loss of valuable mineral salts that your body needs during the day. Enjoy lots of water or sugar-free drinks to keep you hydrated.
  • It’s tradition to start the meal with the eating of three dates, as Muhammad did. Although dates are a fruit, they aren’t Free – fresh dates are 1½ Syn each, so keep count if you make them part of your meal.
Great choices:

• Bananas (Superfree foods) are a good source of potassium, magnesium and carbohydrates. Players at Wimbledon and other athletes choose them as a snack to replace energy – they also make a good choice for Iftar.
  • Drink lots of water between Iftar and bedtime so that your body can adjust your fluid levels in time.
[h=4]If you’re doing the cooking[/h] Now’s your chance to show off your tasty Food Optimising meals – they’re packed with lovely Free Foods that are better for digestion and they’re quick and easy to prepare. Here are some delicious ideas:

If you double the portions up when you’re making them, you’ll have a meal ready for Suhur too (add a few extra ingredients if you want to mix it up a bit).
[h=4]Delicious Eid dishes[/h] Choose dishes made from Free Food and get creative with cooking to make special slimming-friendly Eid meals…

[h=4]Strategies for Eid[/h] Eid, the festivities that mark the end of Ramadan, is a special time… but we know just what a challenge the (often three-day) celebration can be for getting back on track with Food Optimising.
The temptation can be to forget Food Optimising altogether during Eid as surely a few days ‘off plan’ won’t do much harm. However ‘taking a break’ for a few days can easily turn into a couple of weeks… or more. Before we know it, all that hard work’s been undone, and we’re back where we started before joining Slimming World. We don’t want that for you – and we know that you don’t want to unravel your weight loss success either. Here at Slimming World we’re all about choice, and there are three helpful strategies for you to choose from to help you plan and manage Eid, getting right back on track with your weight loss after the celebrations!
Strategy one: Forget slimming.
Just go away, have a great time, eat and drink anything and everything. Know that you’ll gain weight but that you’ll go back to your group, get straight back to Food Optimising and lose it all in a couple of weeks.
Your slimming confidence scale (out of 10)
8 to 10 Well-established and confident with Food Optimising, you’ll carry this off. You may even find you’re choosing healthier, less fatty options out of preference these days and that the gain is less than you expected.
5 to 7 You might find that it’s harder than you thought to get your head ‘back into gear’ after Eid. A large weight gain could knock your confidence too much, so it’s just not worth risking.
4 and below Unless you’d be really miserable during the celebrations if you didn’t throw caution to the winds, this probably isn’t the best strategy for you in the long term.
Strategy two: Keep counting and use Syns flexibly.
Eat plenty of Free Food and decide each day how many Syns you’ll allocate today. You may decide to give yourself 30 to 50 Syns a day, every day, or you may decide to have one day at 15 and another at 50. The key here is to keep counting and estimating as realistically as possible. Throw in a few extra Syns each time you eat something you haven’t prepared yourself (as innocent as they might look!). Any weight gain will be drastically reduced and you may even get away without a gain at all!
Wherever you are on the scale, this option will be safe for you. The damage limitation you will achieve, without feeling deprived, can only bring a raising of self-esteem. If one day gets out of hand and you can’t remember how you got to bed, let alone how many Syns you had, worry not. As long as you get back to counting the next day, no major damage will have been done.
Strategy three: Stick with Food Optimising and keep flexibility of Syns to a minimum.
Keep with your usual weight-losing strategy and stay with Food Optimising (this is much easier to do when you’re cooking for yourself, friends and family). Enjoy the feeling of achieving another first for you. Be prepared to allow yourself up to 20 or 30 Syns on a special day, and just keep counting. You could even find that you’ve successfully maintained your weight, or even lost a pound or two.
8 to 10 This could be so easy for you. You’ve started to really appreciate the fresh clean taste of fresh, home-cooked food, fruit and vegetables and you’ll relish feeling so calm and in control.
5 to 7 You may find that you start well, but if this feels a little too restrictive as the days draw on, it might be worth switching to Strategy Two. This way, you’ll be making the most of damage limitation and could still find that you have successfully maintained – and who knows, you may even have lost.
4 and below If you do this you’ll feel like you’ve climbed a huge mountain and you’ll deserve every accolade that you give yourself. The danger for you is if you find yourself sliding, your self-esteem and confidence in your ability to slim could take a dangerous nose-dive. So it’s very important that you promise to congratulate yourself for your achievements so far and switch to Strategy Two.
Don’t forget, you can apply these strategies to all sorts of occasions. What’s important is to find the strategy that works for you.
Whatever you have planned for Eid, we wish you fun-filled celebrations… let us know what delicious delights you’re planning on rustling up

What a fascinating thread! I must admit, I didn't know that water was prohibited during daylight hours. I wish you all lots of luck! I think it's fantastic that SW are recognising this and offering advice to stay on plan :)

What a fascinating thread! I must admit, I didn't know that water was prohibited during daylight hours. I wish you all lots of luck! I think it's fantastic that SW are recognising this and offering advice to stay on plan :)

yes pickle no water also its only first day or 2 thats the hardest for me in the north west of england my fasting times will be 3.11 am until 9.25pm

for you others what are your fasting times?

NadiaH79 said:
yes pickle no water also its only first day or 2 thats the hardest for me in the north west of england my fasting times will be 3.11 am until 9.25pm

for you others what are your fasting times?

What happens if you suffer migraines etc can you be exempted? If I don't eat every four hours I get a migraine. Have wanted to go on a spiritual fast but worried the migraine will prevent any spiritual gain.

What happens if you suffer migraines etc can you be exempted? If I don't eat every four hours I get a migraine. Have wanted to go on a spiritual fast but worried the migraine will prevent any spiritual gain.

i really dont know ive had headaches before and just get on with it u are expempt from fasting if you have to take regular medication for something that cannot be missed eg heart meds etc

NadiaH79 said:
i really dont know ive had headaches before and just get on with it u are expempt from fasting if you have to take regular medication for something that cannot be missed eg heart meds etc

Ah right that makes sense. I confess I know very little about Islam x

well my first weigh in of ramadan and happy to report i lost 2lb this week was pleased with that cos i had not been completley 100 on plan :D

Shirleen you are exempt if you're poorly :) if you can't fast because of medic conditions you are not forced nor should be. Islam is unfortunately portrayed as an oppressive religion but it's the opposite, if people only knew the truth.

Well done on your loss!!!

Roziee said:
Shirleen you are exempt if you're poorly :) if you can't fast because of medic conditions you are not forced nor should be. Islam is unfortunately portrayed as an oppressive religion but it's the opposite, if people only knew the truth.

Well done on your loss!!!

I never believed it was enforced I just have never known the 'rules'

Sorry I sent before adding that I wondered if you could still fast and drink water?

We have a chap at work and he walks five miles to work, I've forbidden him to do any gardening until Ramadan is over, can't have him keeling over in the heat!

Last edited:
Shirleen said:
I never believed it was enforced I just have never known the 'rules'

Sorry I sent before adding that I wondered if you could still fast and drink water?

We have a chap at work and he walks five miles to work, I've forbidden him to do any gardening until Ramadan is over, can't have him keeling over in the heat!

I didn't mean to imply you thought it was enforced love, that was a general comment :)

No water or food..

Five miles a day and fasts? Wow that's.. Why does he walk 5 miles a day?.. Exercise or does he have no choice?

I'm down south so it's very hot at the moment- well some days have been anyway! And the underground tubes are like being inside an oven. It's verrrry difficult. You have to, no MUST drink loads of water otherwise u get eat stroke. I did last year. Couldn't fast for a whole week because I didn't drink properly. This year ive made sure I drink at least 1.5 litres...

Roziee said:
I didn't mean to imply you thought it was enforced love, that was a general comment :)

No water or food..

Five miles a day and fasts? Wow that's.. Why does he walk 5 miles a day?.. Exercise or does he have no choice?

I'm down south so it's very hot at the moment- well some days have been anyway! And the underground tubes are like being inside an oven. It's verrrry difficult. You have to, no MUST drink loads of water otherwise u get eat stroke. I did last year. Couldn't fast for a whole week because I didn't drink properly. This year ive made sure I drink at least 1.5 litres...

He walks to work, some days he walks back again. Not sure when he's eating as he's been doing sleep ins too! He's such a llove, the Service user adores him, and he's not keen on fellas usually!

i lost another 2.5lb this week which i was pleased with as had 2 iftars at other houses and was off plan with lots of sweet stuff :D

I love that you can learn about all this on here. Now could I ask please, as I've always wanted to know. When you see the prayers in a mosque, with all the prayer mats, if you are arthritic, or very old are you allowed to pray sitting on a chair?

Shirleen said:
He walks to work, some days he walks back again. Not sure when he's eating as he's been doing sleep ins too! He's such a llove, the Service user adores him, and he's not keen on fellas usually!

Wow I don't know how he does it. That's amazing. I couldn't do 5 miles even if I wasn't fasting! Lol

What job do u do if u don't mind me asking?

NadiaH79 said:
i lost another 2.5lb this week which i was pleased with as had 2 iftars at other houses and was off plan with lots of sweet stuff :D

Wow you're on fire mashaAllah. That's amazing. What are you eating morning and night?

judimac said:
I love that you can learn about all this on here. Now could I ask please, as I've always wanted to know. When you see the prayers in a mosque, with all the prayer mats, if you are arthritic, or very old are you allowed to pray sitting on a chair?

Of course you may ask :)

Yes you are allowed to pray sitting down if you are unable to pray in the usual way. I have a very bad back at the moment so I'm praying sitting on a chair or crossed leg on the floor because I can't bend and it hurts when getting up and down. No problem whatsoever :)

In fact, you are rewarded more because despite your ability to do it in the traditional way you're still praying! :)

Oo and.. Most mosques will have chairs at the front for the elderly or poorly so they can pray. My dad is always at the front on the chair..

Back