Fat Free Sponge Cake

Thanks for posting and ty Angie for the portion size as I had no idea :) Im off to buy some eggs :) cake for me it is!!

I made the cake at the weekend - without the chocolate, just vanilla sponge, it is quite nice...well once i got over the "it's not like me normal cake" i decided i quite liked it. My flat mate who isn't on SW even tucked into a piece and said she liked it. I did cheat and put 3teaspoons of low sugar jam in the middle with the quark as i didn't have any strawberries to hand - was rather yum!

I just made this cake, its out of the oven, hasnt sunk yet and I am just waiting for it to cool before I do the filling, smells devine though!

I made this today and couldnt believe how nice it was so have decided im gonna make this for my next taster night

Hi all, I'm new-ish to SW and to baking in general. I really want to try this choc cake, my mouth is watering at the thought and I'm thinking i might eat the whole cake in one sitting. Please can someone tell me what is the best cocoa powder to use.. this must sound terribly stupid but is it just hot chocolate powder or specific cocoa powder for baking or what? Help out a non-baker! Thanks in advance.

I used cocoa powder. It is better for baking than hot chocolate powder.

I think one of the best cocoa powders is Green and Blacks, although this is quite expensive - I am sure that many own brand cocoa powders would be just wonderful, and reasonably priced too. You can use unused cocoa powder for making hot chocolate.

Thanks alot, my hubby went to Tesco and came back with hot chocolate but I think I'm just gonna make the plain sponge tomorrow and try choc cake during the week. Yum can't wait!

will definately be making this for the taster in 2 weeks!

Oh I sooooo lurve this recipe. I've now adapted it to make a lemon drizzle cake and a lemon topped sponge cake - truly lush!

For the drizzle cake:
Instead of the vanilla flavouring I used lemon juice. I then grated the zest of a lemon and squeezed the juice, mixed it with sweetner (about 8 dessert spoons of sweetner) and then heated it gently over the hob to make a very runny syrup, then drizzled it over the cooled cake.

For the lemon topped sponge cake: I made the sponge as above. Once the cake had cooled I made a lemon quark "icing" using 1/2 tub of quark, juice and rind of a lemon and sweetner to achieve desired taste.

Has anyone had any luck making it into a carrot cake? If so, please can you post the recipe. TIA x

I have made this for taster tonight - cake batter was 1oz SR, 1oz cocoa with 2 tsp chocolate essence.

Topping was 0% greek yog with sweetner and chopped satsuma and orange essence.

tastes great :D

Angie, where do you get your choc essence from? I have looked in every supermarket around here, I have seen it online but I hate paying delivery charges!

Angie, where do you get your choc essence from? I have looked in every supermarket around here, I have seen it online but I hate paying delivery charges!

I am going to be no help at all - I get it from a seller on our weekly market in Sudbury (Suffolk).

Although - I *think* that Waitrose sell it???

Ive just made this but into buns instead, it makes 12 large buns and i used the filling to create a butterfly effect.

I'm going to try the chocolate one next time and use the filling with mandarin segmengts instead of strawberries, mmmm mm!

Mine's in the oven as I type! I used almond essence instead of vanilla so will see if that tastes nice as I love chocolate and almond flavours together!

I decided on this recipe as I finally, after 12 weeks of doing SW, found some quark and this was the first recipe I found that used it on here.

Fingers crossed I havent lost my ability to bake a cake since I started dieting! lol!

Where did you find the Quark Kat? I've only managed to find flavoured Quark in Netto and im after some plain instead.

Found it in asda with the mozarella, ricotta etc in the cheese aisle. Ive been looking there and near the yogurts for the last 12 weeks and it was finally there! I wo9uldnt mind but it hasnt been there for that long and there was 2 trays full of it when I went yesterday!

Cant say I loved the cake Im afraid! I could taste the eggs and I dont really like eggs so wasnt one for me and I even put a bit of extra sweetener in just to try and make it taste sweeter. (Im such a baby!) Love the quark mixed with sweetener though and just found a recipe on here for baked cheesecakes using quark so will have to try that one out too!

I got some plain quark in tesco today so I'm going for gold and baking a choc orange sponge with a mandarin filling, can wait and will post pics on done!

Back