Fat Free Sponge Cake

hey everyone,

wish i'd seen the post about 1/2 cocoa and 1/2 flour as iv just done mine, its cooling as i post this.. and i did it all cocoa.. hope its not going too be too strong!! i decided to go ahead and just make the sponge for now, as i dont like quark at all, and wasnt sure whether to risk ruining ti by using somthing else.. if i like the sponge then i'l expierment next time.. i did however ur orange instead of vanilla esence.. soo.. il let you know :) i wonder if joe will taste the difference??

Hi all, im new to the site. I started Slimming World on wednesday after a failed attempt last year lol.

I just made this cake & followed the instructions and it came out as flat as a pancake?!?! I followed everything as said? Smelt nice but didnt look too clever lol. Looked more like an omellette haha

.. hmm.. mine came out looking like the best cake ever... and then 10 minutes later went so flat.. i named it the old man cake because it even developed wrinkles!! haha, i gave it a go though.. tasted more like chocky flan though, still nice.. but next time im going to make it plain, then use a low fat jam like thing and make a fruit flan with loads of strawberrys and kiwis etc??

I'll make this for class one week - it looks lovely!

I made this cake last week for my mum coming for lunch. I used a vanilla pod in the quark and 5 tbsps of half fat creme fraich in the quark to make the filling - my mum couldn't believe it was a SW recipe. I took the left over to class on the Monday and all that tried said that it was lovely. I would definitely do it again!!!

Hi have just made the Chocolate and Orange Fat Free sponge at it is lovely! I used orange essence in the cake batter, and used 1oz cocoa powder/1oz SR flour.

As the cake has lots of flavour, I kept the filling simple and just used 0% greek yogurt, but I like the sharp contrast of cake and yogurt!

Took a photo of a 1 syn piece, to give people an idea of what you get for your syn :D

Thanks for the recipe Julie - I will try it again, adding chocolate essence in place of the orange, and flavouring the filling with orange instead.

Oh my! Thanks a lot, that really helps me with portion size, and it looks so delicious! I'm so making this today! :thankyou:

I have just had a huge bowl of this cake (plain no quark) with strawberries and a muller tipped over the top bloomin lovely!! Cant wait to tuck into this again tomorrorow infront of the girlies at work as they eat their chocky bars!!! LOL

I have a whisk (V Powerful) that whips skimmed milk into cream (or the skimmed equivilent) bet that would be lush on the cake!

Really? How do you do that then? Do you add anything to the milk?
If I remember correctly it just uses really well chilled milk, my Mum had one years ago - ideal world were selling the blenders not that long ago - expensive - but good.

Hi Just joined Slimming World. The sponge cake is 9 syns but on which day? Also been to Tescos to buy Fromage Frais, they couldn't find any, what would it be with?

Thanks for posting this recipe and all the tips and adaptations! It has solved my cake cravings! I've just finished making a coffee version with vanilla cream (quark) and manderins.

Hi Just joined Slimming World. The sponge cake is 9 syns but on which day? Also been to Tescos to buy Fromage Frais, they couldn't find any, what would it be with?

It is 9 syns on any plan, and the fromage frais is with the natural yoghurts in my Tesco - a short squat tub, but I think it is called Normandy fromage frais there as well

Hi

This sounds great, how did you make the coffee one??

I love coffee cake and would love to try this
Nikki

I used the initial recipe (2 oz of flour) and then mixed 3 tsp of coffee with a little water to make a paste (you could use Camp coffee, but it has syns) and added it to the mix.

The manderins added 2.5 syns per 100g used (ASDA manderin segments in grape juice).

HTH

Hi Thats sounds lovely, will give it a try at weekend, i love coffee cake so am hoping this will curb my craving. I take it, it is less syns as you dont have to syn coffee??
thanks
Nikki

It will be the same syns (9 per cake), as flour and cocoa are both 4.5 per oz, and you will still need the 2oz flour for the coffee cake.

Hopefully you will think it is well worth the syns though :D

Back