Favourite places to holiday?

Have to agree on Mexico. Went to Playacar last year and had a truly amazing time. Went to see the ruins at Tulum and would have loved to have gone to Chichen Itza but wouldn't have been ideal with my son.

We had the experience of a lifetime swimming with dolphins at Isla Mujeres and snorkelling in the lagoon in Xel-Ha. So much more to do and see so will have to go again sometime.

How about a cruise?

It's really safe and they'll look after you and spoil you generally.

You get to go to lots of places and only have to unpack once.

Best of all - you get to be glam and dress up in gorgeous frocks in the evenings.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to my Caribbean Cruise in Jan? Can't wait to wear a slinky frock as a size10/12 and not size 20:D

I will fully recommend Malta to you Mini!

My parents live in Malta (moved there last year and my mum is Maltese!) and it is gorgeous weather, friendly people and plenty to see.

Lots of ancient history there - stones, caves and ruins (apparently the oldest standing ruins in Gozo - neighbouring Island also Maltese). And there is also loads of military history too as everywhere has invaded Malta at some time or the other...

Of course there are sandy beaches to chill on and a gorgeous capital city to shop in. Everyone speaks english and food/drink is extremely cheap.

I love it there and the fact that my parents (and huugggeee Maltese family too) are there helps.:D:D:D:D:):):):)

Going there for a week from the 14th Oct - can't wait - really need a break after the last couple of weeks of work.

Luv CC xx xx xx

Hi Mini,
get the flying thing sorted or "Feel the fear and do it anyway" (it's a book)
I'll be waiting at the airport to take you to the Andalucian Boot Camp!!!!
Ann x

I hate to put a damper on one of your thoughts but I did route 66 last year- wish it was on a bike but my hubbie only like 4 wheels and over. To be honest I was really sad, The new road network has killed it in places and you can see how bypassing the road has killed the small towns BUT if you go with an open mind and enjoy the friendship of total strangers when you pull up in between 40 to 50 harleys and ask for directions hnds will go up in all directions and when you stop laughing you will have a great time.:) Good luck with whichevery you choose and you must let us know what you've chosen..

Florida has to be the best place I have been to and I loved Corfu also, watched the wasps in late Sept though in Corfu, spoilt our hol there last yr.
Been to Florida twice this yr and 2nd time as good as the first, even got a free upgrade at the hotel, I was being cheeky!!!.... LOVE IT!!!

I went to Australia two years ago in the depths of a very grey January and arriving in Sydney was like that moment where Judy Garland steps from a monochrome Kansas into Oz (ho ho) and it's all in colour.

It's such a friendly, beautiful city and very walkable. We went on the ferry to Manly the first day just so we could say we'd paddled in the South Pacific.

We had a week in Sydney then flew to Alice Springs to see Uluru -- Ayres Rock -- which was uncomfortable both because the people who see it as a holy site don't particularly like tourists clambering about and because I weighed about 19 stone and it was 45C. Holy cow. However it is completely *unearthly* there and worth seeing just for its spookiness, for the insight into the indigenous culture and for the two nights sleeping out under the stars around a brush fire.

From there we flew to Cairns and spent a week in Port Douglas right at the end of the season so we could see the reef -- which was as amazing as it looks on the TV. Also, the most fantastic ice cream and at night the sky is clouded with bats, which I loved. Then we went back to Sydney and did day trips to various places for five days.

I was away for almost a month and I can honestly say it was the best holiday I had ever had. I ate icecream and seafood every day and lost almost a stone anyway. Yay.

If you can take the two days solid of travelling and you have the cash, give it a try.

If you want something a little closer to home and less budget-busting, I loved Seville. It's beautiful and friendly and not too touristy.

My family is from Norway and it's incredibly beautiful there and friendly but oh lord, is it expensive.

K.

Dubai!! It might not be wild and crazy enough for some but is our best ever. we even went shopping then left the trolley for couple of hours to go watch a movie and it was still in the shopping mall when we got back. We later found out that the hotel would have taken it off us and dropped it off in our room.
We got a discount at the hotel and paid $38 pn double room + breafast and dinner. I found the folks friendly but the beach was so hot i almost collapsed.

Paris is my second choice. Lovely food. we ate what i though was loads of food but i came back a couple of pounds lighter (ok so we walked quite a bit too).

Have you thought about where you would like to go yet Mini? I got a pile of travel brochures from the travel agents and keep them by my bed and keep looking at them to keep me motivated on losing weight. It works

Irene xx

I have to agree with keeliewheeliebin!
I too adore Turkey, we have been back a number of times and if I had the money I would buy a place out there and escape to it whenever I had the chance, the only time I have been disappointed was when we went to Gumbet, too busy for me the kids loved it though, I loved Marmaris area and Icmeler and other places I've forgotten the names of.
I'm going to Goa in feb so that may be a new favourite! but I would also love to see Dubai, Thailand, New York, Hong Kong, Australia and Scotland to name a few.

Mauritius is may favouritist place in the world. Its beautiful, I loved the people, the hotels, the villages, everything about it.

But closer to home, Greece, love every island I have been to there.

and the UK, the UK is fab x

Thailand 3 years ago. Scenery is exactly like it says in the books, hotels beautiful and clean and the people cannot do enough for you. Wonderful country!
Avril
X

I love Paris and Barcelona for short breaks ... although looks like we're off to Prague at end of January - so that may end up on the list too!

Loved Turkey, Rhodes, Florida, Thailand and Sharm el Sheikh. Just love to travel and so many places I still want to visit ....... just not enough holidays or money!!! Oh well maybe I'll win the lottery tomorrow night???!!!!

The best holiday I ever had was this summer on the QE2, a cruise around the med.

It was so relaxing and refreshing and for me, life-changing.

We got to visit 7 different countries, got the sunshine and the scenery... saw a live volcano, stunning scenery, posh frocks, men in tuxedos (gorgeous!)... relaxing times and a holiday of a lifetime.

I am going to do it again one day when I am at goal.. probably alone... but I will enjoy it all the more slim I am sure!

A close second was a holiday to Crete (one of my honeymoons)... stunning scenery, beautiful people and a wonderfully chilled pace of life. Not too expensive either. Hot and great food. Bliss!

There are so many wonderful places to see ... hope you love travelling because if you do you will be off and about as much as you can.. lol.. :D

ive been to lots of places around the world, including america/hawaii/egypt/india and the usuals: greek islands, tenerife, spain, italy. etc
but one of my most favourite places is right here in the UK. the Isles of Scilly...absolutly stunning , quiet, remote, beautiful and not at all touristy, i love it there, and go at least once a year. there is no place like it.

xxx
db

have you ever considered Boston? Its kinda like New York but its prettier. I'm not knocking NY cos its a must see, everyone should go but be warned you'll be hooked, LOL! I don't think you can go wrong with America. I am going back to Boston in September, i honestly can't wait!!!

Oli x

Blimey where shall I start:

USA -
New York - bustling busy exciting,
Boston - pretty, quaint and very historical,
Florida - Miami - trendy, poserville but very glam
Orlando - fun fairgrounds and shopping
Florida Keys - amazing scenery - swim with Dolphins
Niagara Falls - exciting and very wet :D
Chicago - busy like NY but not as frantic - great pizza lol
Denver - hot and dusty
Seattle - foggy, interesting lots of coffee shops - chilled
Sanfrancisco - Hippy chic, Seals and Famous sites to see
LA - Sprawling large some glam bits
New Orleans - old world, jazzy, boozy, Voodoo - nice
Washington DC - interesting strangely calm

Turkey - Bitez - cute little village outside Bodrum - lots of Turks
holiday there - some lovely restaurants including the Black
Cat whose owners remembered us after 4 years.
Antalya - Old Town - lovely quiet historical
Istanbul - Manic, exciting, hot, dirty, interesting
Thailand - beautiful, scenic
Gambia - different interesting relaxing
Egypt - just simply amazing wonderful historical hot stunning

I think that covers most of the places I love lol

have you ever considered Boston? Its kinda like New York but its prettier. I'm not knocking NY cos its a must see, everyone should go but be warned you'll be hooked, LOL! I don't think you can go wrong with America. I am going back to Boston in September, i honestly can't wait!!!

Oli x

I agree about NY - went for the first time in 2007 and immediately started saving for my next trip when I got back :D I love it there, I've been three times now and I can't wait to go back. It's such a vibrant, exciting, brilliant place. Definitely my favourite city in the world.

I would love to see Boston too - I've heard the whole of New England is lovely so I definitely want to go there.

Back