Favourite soup recipes?

StripedDaisy

A sucker for a key change
Hi all,

In preperation for being a good SWer after being a fairweather SWer for the last week or two, I wondered what everyones favourite homemade soups are? Discuss.... lol :D

chunky chicken and veg.

I make it with the bones of a roast chicken to make the stock, when the stock is ready strain the bones out, throw in the meat from the bones, some, swede, couple of chopped pots, carrott, leek, mixed herbs and bay leaves then when all the veg is cooked thicken with some thickening granules.

mmmmm delicious I am going to make some on monday with the turkey bones.

pepper and tomato soup was very nice and the chicken noodle soup was nice :)

Just a few of them:
butternut squash
curried butternut squash
spicy parsnip
broccoli and cauliflower
potato and creamed sweetcorn
tuscan bean
minestrone
honeyed carrot
moroccan chickpea
broccoli and laughing cow blue cheese
tomato
sweet potato and coconut

My fave soup is a chicken veg soup I do almost every week

Sautee some onions and garlic in spray oil, add chopped carrots, butternut squash, sweet potato, parsnips and red peppers. Stir well, season with salt & pepper and cook for a few minutes. Add 1/3 cup of red lentils and 2 litres of chicken stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour. 15 minutes before cooking time elapses, add seasoned boneless skinless chicken thighs and simmer until cooked. Take out the chicken and allow to cool then chop into bite sized chunks. When the veggies are soft, blend until smooth. Add the chicken pieces back in, stir and serve. Delicious and very filling!

Like the sound of that chicken soup honey, I am making soups to put in the freezer this week to kick start the new year and help shift the lbs put on recently.

My favourite soup recipe

:D Carrot and Butternut Squash Soup
  • Lots of Carrots
  • Lots of Butternut Squash
  • Lots of Onions
  • Lots of Corriander
  • Salt and Pepper
Chop up and simmer for 20 mins......blend and serve....nice with a swirl of Fat free natural yohurt....yum yum

Same as above but I add freshly grated nutmeg and use VLF fromage frais to make it creamy. (and a bit of garlic)

I love celery soup and tattie soup, but I have two lazy & quick ones I do when I can't be bothered cooking. The first I read online-maybe even on here? The second was born of laziness and needing to use up some veg!

1. 'Tomato' soup
Take a can of baked beans and a can of tomtoes (whole/plum/chopped/with herbs....up to you), whizz together and warm through. Scrummy. Add a little yogurt, herbs, woucester (sp) sauce etc to personal taste. Surprisingly filling.

2. Lazy Squash Soup.
Soften an onion or couple of leeks in a pan with frylight. chuck in a bag of pre-prepared butternut squash & sweet potato, and one or two chopped tatties (to thicken). Add water/stock to taste, a teeny touch of curry powder and simmer till veg is soft (doesn't take long with these veggies). Blitx into a lovely thick, hearty soup, and finish with a swirl of fromage frais, or, if you've a few syns left, a spoon of VLF creme fraiche. To die for!

The kids were having a Maggi Chicken Noodle soup today, but wasn't sure if I could have this? Really miss a good homemade chicken noodle soup!

leek and potato - must have some milk in to make it extra creamy - have not found any better than my hubbie's homemade

Roasted garlic and tomato - just roast a tray of toms and a bulb of garlic - blitz the toms with a pint of veg stock add creme fracihe if you like it creamy

Carrot and ginger - boil carrotss in pint of veg stock add some grated ginger and blitz - great if you've got a cold

Watercress, spinach, rocket and spring onion - boil in pint of veg stock and blitz - very good for a bit of a detox day!

French onion - frylight some finely chopped onions and add chicken stock - thicken with either cornflour or to make syn free use a bit of smash

Love soups esp. in this weather!!!

I made soup last night for the first time ever!!! I took a butternut squash and chopped half of it up, chopped up a couple of peppers and crushed a clove of garlic. I put all this into the saucepan with some hot chilli powder. Added 1 litre of water and brought to the boil then simmered for about 30 minutes. I let it cool a little then blitzed with a hand blender. It was actually quite nice and made loads. Have frozen a couple of portions and will be able to have some tonight while waiting on my dinner to cook! :)

Great recipes!

I love sweetcorn and chilli soup, which is just stock, garlic, frozen sweetcorn, seasoning and dried chilli flakes to taste (add half a teaspoon and go from there!). Blitz with a hand blender. The sweetcorn makes it really sweet and creamy with a chilli kick which is great in the cold weather! You can make it really thick by adding more sweetcorn.

I also love pea and mint soup, stock, garlic, frozen peas, a pinch of dried mint and seasoning to taste. Blitz with a hand blender.

And chinese-style soup, using a small stir fry mix (beansprouts, carrots, mushrooms, waterchestnuts etc) add some stock, chopped chilli, garlic, ginger, and some chinese 5 spice. I also add fine rice noodles to make it really filling.

I love soup! I make big batches of everything and freeze them (apart from the last one as that can't be frozen), and start with about a pint and a half of stock.

Sweet potato and chilli - I love it! xx

I lovvvvvve Courgette and Boursin soup! Its 9 syns for the whole recipe but makes loads (serves 4) and is worth every single syn!

Ingredients;

2 pints boiling water
3 vegetable stock cubes
6 courgettes - sliced
1 tub Boursin Light garlic and herb soft cheese
extra garlic if required
black pepper to taste.

Basically, throw the whole lot into a pan, simmer it until the courgettes are soft then blend until smooth!

Its so yummy I could eat it every day!!!!!

Thai soup -

This is a variation of one on the SW website, lots of ingredients, but worth it:

2 small leeks
1 clove of garlic
2.5cm/1 inch ginger, finely chopped or grated
1 rounded tsp of lemongrass (jar or fresh)
6-10 mushrooms, finely sliced
5 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tbsp of fish sauce
2 tsp of vinegar
Pinch of dried basil
¼ head of cabbage, finely sliced
straight to wok rice noodles
1-2 fresh chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
6 spring onions finely sliced
1 red or green pepper, finely sliced
Juice of 1 lime
1 bunch of coriander chopped
Salt and pepper

1. Halve and finely slice the leeks, crush the garlic and fry with a dash of water in a large pan.

2. When the leeks have softened, add the finely sliced ginger, lemongrass and mushrooms and fry for a few minutes.

3. Add 2 pints of water, soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar, basil, chilli and bring to the boil.

4. Then add the finely sliced cabbage and boil until soft.

5. Take off the heat and add spring onions, peppers, lime juice and coriander. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

6. place noodles in bottom of bowl and pour soup over.

Serves 4, free on Green and EE.

You could also add some sliced chicken as a Hex b or free on EE.

Last edited:
Back