Fear of flying due to seatbelt

Mrs Taurus

Silver Member
I started off really well and lost a stone in 2weeks, however have come to a grinding halt due to dreadful pmt/virus.

Now, I am not about to start asking why I haven't lost any more weight, but I won't have got down to a weight that I can guarantee I can fasten my seatbelt for when I go away. I know I managed on a Ryanair flight in 2009 at the weight I am today, however this time we are flying with Monarch and wondered if anyone has any idea what size they cover.

I am a 22 on the bottom, and am anticipating to weigh around the 17.10st mark going and being honest maybe about 18.5 on way back.....I am tall, 5ft 9.
Thanks in advance for any feedback, a nervous Mrs T x

I flew with monarch at a similar weight, and 22/24 bottoms. I got my seatbelt fastened but it was extended to the max! Once fastened though it didn't cut into me.

I was really embarrassed on the flight that my tray wouldn't come down properly. I had to put my drink on my husbands tray.

I'm flying again at the end of March with easyjet and hoping it will be better then!

You're welcome and thank you :)

hey im sure you will be okay with the seatbelt. i dont know about monarch but thomson airways etc give extender belts if you need em. i remember when i needed one for my first holiday and i felt awful.. but this time round when i went on hols i didnt need one :) was a bit snug but i was okay :)

ive been away at new year with jet2 and the belt fit me no problem, even had a good few inches gap. I'm a size 22-24 bottom so you should be fine x

I flew with virgin about 4 years ago and was a size 24-26 the belt fitted on biggest fitting comfortably. You should be fine but I understand the worry!

Thank you chelles, the 'worry' of the seatbelt is the only thing that's keeping me going with my healthy eating at the moment, so in a way it's a positive!! x

Ahh the dreaded seatbelt worry! I have flown with Monarch many times (up until the ash cloud fiasco when I had a major fall out with them) & always managed to fasten the belt but on a few ocassions was VERY uncomfy I was about a 24 then. We use Ryanair more often than not now & in October I had to force the seatbelt to close then daren't open it all through the flight in case it wouldn't fasten again. That prompted my 'diet'! It is awful you look forward to a super holiday but it is tinged with the seatbelt worry. I know they do extenders but would hate to ask for one. I'm sure will be fine xx

There should be a new law passed to increase the standard size of seatbelts on planes in order to reduce pre-holiday stress for us larger people. Mrs T x

Hi, i am same height and size. Belt fitted with an inch or two to spare but I did worry like you so bought a miraclesuit body to wear just incase, they are good! Sure you will be just fine - enjoy yourself.

Back