Feeling a bit disillusioned to be honest

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
Hi all,

I realise it's been quite a long time since I posted properly on here, but with my track record of gain, lose, gain, lose over the last 3 months I've been too embarrassed to post if I'm honest :eek:

I've decided, however, that maybe the best way to get me out of my slump is to talk to people on here :) I started SW nearly a year ago, and really the only reason why I started was to try and reduce my blood pressure. I'm only 26, and I'm pig sick of having to take two types of blood pressure medication every day.

I was told when I started them about 3 years ago that I'd probably be on them for life, and being as they can cause kidney and liver problems in the long term I wasn't very happy. So about a year ago I thought enough is enough, and decided to lose weight to try to come off my medication. Here I am though, still on both tablets with no sign of being able to come off them, despite losing 5 stone :(

I'm feeling quite depressed about this and I've been wondering what's the point in carrying on. Ok, it's nice to be able to wear smaller clothes, but I've never had an ounce of vanity in me, so really I don't care what I look like. I'm the person I am, and if people don't like that then I don't want them in my life anyway! But that's by the by! :)

I'm not really expecting any responses...I just thought that maybe if I told people why I've been having such a bad time on SW over the last 3 months then it might galvanise me into getting back on plan properly. Sorry to whinge :(

Sian xx

You are worrying about your kidneys and your liver, but what about your heart and your knees? They must be loving the fact that you have lost 5 stone!! :D

I don't know about your medication, maybe it will be a possiblity to come off it in the future. Meantime, you are following a healthy eating plan and losing weight and that is fantastic. The alternative would be an unhealthy eating plan and that would be just silly.

Keep up the good work xxx

You are worrying about your kidneys and your liver, but what about your heart and your knees? They must be loving the fact that you have lost 5 stone!! :D

I'd never really thought about that! Thanks for that hun...it was a good kick up the backside :) xxx

I noticed you'd not been on here much & thought it was due to work.

You say you are sick of gaining & losing, but you've lost 5 stone, that is an amazing amount to lose. But I can understand why you are fed up if you've lost all that weight & still on tablets. Crikey I'd be bad to live with if I was on tablets, I've been quite grumpy the last two weeks on antibiotics:rolleyes:

Can the doctor give you an indication how much weight you need to loose for your blood pressure to improve?

You've done the right thing coming on here & if you do more so I know you'll get the support & encouragement you need to continue. We all have high's & low's its hard to understand how much weight rules our life.

Happy Holidays...I have also been very busy with work. We were expecting an ESTYN inspection, so the headteacher has had our noses to the grindstone. Turns out it's not this term, and possibly not this year, so we've all relaxed a bit, lol!

Thankyou for the support and encouragement though :) He hasn't been able to give me any indication about coming off the medication. Every time I go to see him it's still high (despite being on medication), yet when I've had my bp taken at the hospital, or do it at home, it's been fine! I think I've got white coat syndrome, but only where my doctor is concerned, lol! :) I guess I'll just keep plodding on...while I might be stuck in a cycle of lose, gain, lose at least I'm pretty much maintaining my weight and not putting it all back on! xx

please don't feel embarrassed, we all have our ups and downs. you have done sooo well, just remember that...its shows you can do it! none of us are perfect my love, so if you feel fed up or need help come on here and talk, you are not on your own xxx

:) He hasn't been able to give me any indication about coming off the medication. Every time I go to see him it's still high (despite being on medication), yet when I've had my bp taken at the hospital, or do it at home, it's been fine! I think I've got white coat syndrome, but only where my doctor is concerned, lol! :) I guess I'll just keep plodding on...while I might be stuck in a cycle of lose, gain, lose at least I'm pretty much maintaining my weight and not putting it all back on! xx

Is there any family history of high blood pressure? In some cases high blood pressure isn't linked so closely to lifestyle and so even losing the amazing amount of weight you have won't allow someone to come off tablets.

On the other hand if you are able to get normal readings at home and still want to come off the tablets then it might be worth discussing with your doctor whether you could have one of those 24 hour blood pressures monitors for a week. If the readings really are at an ok level when you aren't at the doctors (I empathise with this - my pulse rate and blood pressure is entirely normal at home but once I am at the doctors the first reading of my pulse is always over a 100!) then you can realistically discuss coming off the tablets.
Don't be in too much of a rush though. The issues with tablets affecting your liver and kidneys generally only occur over a very long time period - having high blood pressure not properly treated can have much more immediate and dangerous effects.

What you have achieved so far is an inspiration for alot of people on here, I know it was for me when I first joined the site. Try to enjoy it rather than focussing so hard what you feel you still want to achieve.

hey you! your back to *waves* i never really left, but my posting became less frequent as iv been gaining weight the last 19 weeks! ... but im planting my feet firmly back in minimins soil.. you with me?

we can do this xxx

Hi sian your story sounds just like me :eek: lost 5 stone last year but since xmas I have not posted much as I have not been back on plan for more than 3 days at a time since xmas.

I'm now on my 5th day and I have to say the joy of being back in control is immense, it's such a relief.

You have done fantastic and the health benefits must be great, so think about how your life and health will be further improved by losing the rest.

Try not to be to hard on yourself you are fab and an inspiration .

Wipe the slate clean, reset all your stats, reread all your books and pretend you are starting for the first time and i'm sure you will be back in the zone before next week is out :D

Go for it x

Hi sian your story sounds just like me :eek: lost 5 stone last year but since xmas I have not posted much as I have not been back on plan for more than 3 days at a time since xmas.

I'm now on my 5th day and I have to say the joy of being back in control is immense, it's such a relief.

Hi Soccermon - you wont remember, but when I first found minimins last summer, one of my first posts was on a thread of yours. It was a 100% thread and I said how much it inspired me. Glad you are back on track again :D x

everyone has already been so good at replying and you have some super advice.

I just want to add that i too have been up and down since November - im the same weight as i was back in November and i just thought - whats the point!!!

So i took myself to one side, and i needed to focus - and im back on it - since Monday I have been 100% and even with a 3.5lb gain on Thursday i still carried on sticking to plan.

Its tough - but you have to ride it out and get back on it!

x

Hi Soccermon - you wont remember, but when I first found minimins last summer, one of my first posts was on a thread of yours. It was a 100% thread and I said how much it inspired me. Glad you are back on track again :D x

AW thank you for that it seems long ago now :D wish I had kept going.

I have done a little reshuffle of my thinking and i'm now being a bit more inventive with my syns and heb's and seem to be more controlled like that.

keep up the good work x

Don't be so hard on yourself, you have done sooo well:D
You must be feeling so much healthier having lost so much weight:)
I wore a 24 hour blood pressure monitor and that was how they found I had to go on tablets.
I have regular blood tests to check kidneys etc.
My weight loss is slow but this forum has really helped me and kept me going.
So many wonderful and kind people on here.:grouphugg:
:bestwishes:

Hey Dudette, thought I hadn't seen you round for a while - nice to see you back! 5 stone is AMAZING hon, you really have done brill so far. I think a few of us have had the 'wobbles' since christmas, so you arent alone. We are human after all - and to have maintained is great - shows you are prob doing SW now naturally without thinking about it - but just not 100% all the time.

I think EB sums it up perfectly above - So i took myself to one side, and i needed to focus - and im back on it. This week it is the same for me, and it will happen for you too.

Dont put too much pressure on yourself - you have done so well up to now and it will 'click' back into place and you will be back in the zone. xx

Aww Sian you're one of my favourite poster:D

Normally so positive etc. I'm not going to jump on you or beat you up as you are doing that yourself.

When I was as wide as I was tall, I had insulin controlled diabetes and extra high blood pressure.

Insulin is no more, (reduced strength pills instead) and BP is normal! - not only that, but my long-term sugar count was 7.4 - if I continue to lose weight (I have lost at least 22lb since then) and the figure drops below 7, I have been told the diabetes may well be reversed and controlled purely by diet - something I couldn't, or rather wouldn't do before.

That is the best incentive in the world! - slim yourself back to health.

Just go for it and good luck. I'm sure the benefits massively outweigh the sacrifice;)

Steve

Wow 5 stone is amazing and you realy must be feeling the other health benefits by now!! Yes it drives you mad when it gose up not down but you have done an amazing thing loosing all that weight!! Maybe you need to fill a suitcase with 5 stone of whatever and try carry it around for a while im sure you will realize what an achievement you have made!! Carry on you may reap the benefits in months to follow as in your bp.

I think Steve has said it all .

You have had such good advice Sian I will not repeat it just want to say that I missed you and your quick wit. You have always supported me and been so kind to so many of us that it is sad to see you down.

I am another one of the wobbly squad. Since Christmas I have wobbled on and off SW but 2 weeks ago did just what Elle said and gave myself such a talking to and now I am fine, you will be too.

5 stones is just bl00dy fabulous........never forget that.

So many really serious illnesses are weight related so it makes good sense to stick with it.

I do not want to frighten anyone but these are some of them.....

• High Blood pressure, hypertension - One-third of all cases of high blood pressure are associated with obesity High blood pressure is twice as common in adults who are obese than in those who are at a healthy weight.
  • High blood cholesterol - 50% more likely to have elevated blood cholesterol levels.
  • Diabetes Type 2 - non-insulin dependent accounts for nearly 90% of all cases of diabetes. Researchers estimate that 88 to 97% of type 2 diabetes cases diagnosed in overweight people are a direct result of obesity
  • Congestive heart failure - obesity increases the risk of congestive heart failure, a potentially fatal condition in which the heart muscle weakens, progressively losing the ability to pump blood.
  • Heart disease - heart attack, congestive heart failure, sudden cardiac death, angina or chest pain, and abnormal heart rhythm is increased in persons who are overweight or obese.
  • Stroke - There is a link between obesity and stroke; this is particularly the case for people whose fat is situated predominantly in the abdominal region. Overweight people are more likely to have high blood cholesterol levels and high blood pressure, but these associations are not the only explanations for the greater stroke rate.
  • Gallstones and gallbladder disorders.
  • Gout - the condition may develop in people with obesity incidents are remarkably higher, Gout is strongly associated with obesity.
  • Osteoarthritis - Obesity may be a major factor in the development of osteoarthritis, particularly of the knee and especially in women.
  • Some types of cancer -such as endometrial, breast, prostate, and colon
  • Complications of pregnancy.
  • Poor female reproductive health - examples would be menstrual irregularities, infertility, irregular ovulation.
  • Bladder control problems - such as stress incontinence.
  • Psychological disorders -such as depression, eating disorders, distorted body image, and low self- esteem.

Please don't beat your self up hon.
You're still 5 stone down and that's bloody amazing.
I feel like a bit of a fraud even commenting as I've only been here a wee while but I do know what it's like to feel out of control and you get to that "Oh sod it, what's the point?" phase where you start snarfing down chips and crisps and cakes and biscuits...

For me losing weight is all about health. My grandmother died of heart failure at 79 and my father is now 74 and whilst not overweight (though not skinny either!) is waiting on open heart surgery. Routine surgery to be sure but serious routine surgery. It's been a wake up call really. I have two teenagers who need me to stay healthy until they are grown or their life turns upside down.

Whatever happens as far as your medication is concerned being 5 stone and more lighter HAS to be a good thing. So stick with it ... take it day by day and don't beat yourself up if every now and again you screw it up.

Take care xx

Back