Feeling lost when I haven't kept track.

Littleone

Hi there!

At the moment I'm trying not to worry too much about calories.. I'm not actively counting them and concentrating on not eating too much and eating healthy foods.

But I always panic when I do this. I get scared I am eating too many calories.

Does anyone else feel lost without having it all worked out, even if just in your head? I wish I could just relax about it.. knowing that I'm doing good. I don't want to count (or get obsessed) but I do want to feel ok and safe. It's like a little panic. I suppose it's because I haven't got a firm plan in place. I'm not low carbing or following slimming world or the like which gives a lot of structure.

I think I will stick to the healthy eating and exercise as a kind of base, and keep track of the cals in my head or jotted down just for the time being. I don't really want to follow another plan but I think doing that would feel ok. :)

xx

Hiya,

I can totally relate to this. I started out just making healthy changes etc and I soon started to worry about calories. I tried to ignore it, reminding myself I was eating much more healthily regardless of the calories, but I was totting them up in my head anyway and nowadays I write them down in my diary everyday. It's not so bad y'know. I think what it boiled down to for me was either a) worrying constantly that I was having too many calories, or b) getting obsessed with recording calories! :) but overall I'd rather be in control. It's what works best for you I guess x

I counted for many months when I first started. At the moment I'm much more relaxed and I'm mostly guessing unless it's unfamiliar food and then I make sure I find out calorie content so I can fit it into my food in take. At the moment this is working for me and I still feel in control, if my weight loss stops then I will have to become more strict, but for the moment I'm happy flowing along. xxx

Its so easy to get addicted! I am on MFP about 6 times a day trying to work things out. At the moment its positive but I do wonder if it can lead to an unhealthy obsession.

I try to keep track of everything I am eating daily to write it down in my diary on here, but I obsess over numbers being right anyway so I think thats why I do it..

I think its a great idea just to stick to the healthy eating and excerise as a base and maybe have a treat day of a weekend?

Keep doing whats right for you littleone, what works for me might not work for you and vice versa. You will know if you have had a good day xx

Thanks for all the replies!

xxlettyxx - That sounds very similar to how I feel. Thinking back, I used to be quite strict with myself and calories. One time I got very obsessed (to the point of an eating disorder) but I do remember after recovering from that I did have a time of being fine with it. I don't feel like I will slip back into that eating disorder now and like you say, it feels better to be in control. Not a rigid type of control... just not feeling all over the place! :)

lindseydodd408 - Hehe, I love the way you put 'flowing along'. That sounds like the way to be! It sounds like you have got the hang of things, that's great.

Neonshock - Can I ask what MFP is? Yeah I understand what you mean about the addiction. I think you just have to be a little bit careful, but then maybe my views are biased because of my past.

Tink1987 - Thanks, that's good advice. I think that's what I shall do. :)

Well done on all of your weight losses so far, by the way!

myfitnesspal is a website, but I use it mostly as an app on my iphone. Its a cal counting website and its really helpful, you should check it out. Its got a search engine with products so if you have an activia youg or tescos bread or whatever you can search it and get the cals added to your total.

You should check it out, so much easier than working everything out yourself

Back