feeling quite let down by slimming world

to cut a long story short i joined SW at the end of July 2011 and got to my target in February 2012, having lost almost 4 and a half stone...i was then sent away with VERY vague details on how to maintain and when to attend a class....i tried maintaining by scraping advice together from the internet etc but on my first weigh in back at class i had lost a further 2 pounds which had put me under target and i was made to feel really bad for that...

I received NO support or advice mainly cos the class was quite busy(i don't even think the consultant knew i was there)...and she hasn't emailed,text or rang me since i reached target

do any other target members get advice from their consultants or am i expecting too much?

firstly a HUGE congratualtions on getting to target. well done you, you have done amazingly well.
Large class groups are hard for both members and consultants as you get hardly anytime to see her.

Someone who is at target will be able to help you better but from what I gather the only advice my consultant offers is to stick to the plan 100% as usual and introduce 1 more HeB choice per day. try this for a week and if you are still loosing introduce another A or B. If your still loosing then she said go and talk to her about upping your syns.
I do think its really important for the first month at least that you attend every week to keep a good eye on how you are doing. There are target members in my class who come each week without fail. (I think social reasons too though, our class is very friendly). some target members some one a month or fortnightly. I know there is not a strict rule, whats works best for you.

Why dont you email/text your consultant she might give you a call and be able to have more one on one chat during the week. thats what you pay her for!!

Is there a sub-forum/sticky for target members helping each other to maintain? <---- there should be

to cut a long story short i joined SW at the end of July 2011 and got to my target in February 2012, having lost almost 4 and a half stone...i was then sent away with VERY vague details on how to maintain and when to attend a class....i tried maintaining by scraping advice together from the internet etc but on my first weigh in back at class i had lost a further 2 pounds which had put me under target and i was made to feel really bad for that...

I received NO support or advice mainly cos the class was quite busy(i don't even think the consultant knew i was there)...and she hasn't emailed,text or rang me since i reached target

do any other target members get advice from their consultants or am i expecting too much?

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...g-who-wants-help-mutual-support-stay-put.html

Congratulations on getting to target. My experience was similar to your own, SW is a business and target members do not generate as much income as those who are trying to lose, although I believe they can be an asset to the business and they should support them more. Being at target is great, but it's not the end of your journey, there are just new challenges to face and some trial and error involved.

I'm not at target but I know my consultant will be there for me 110% when I am :) our group isn't particularly busy (except after new year) but if I want to speak to her I just arrive 10 mins early,i then get her undivided attention before the rush xx

I am not at target but a few of our group are and our C is great with them, asks them why they think they went over or under, did they do anything different that may have caused the fluctuation. If they are under she tells them to eat what they want within reason obviously. One of the members says she goes home and has a treat of a bag of sweets, another has a couple of more rolls a week. I think it depends on what you would like to eat to be honest and trial and error BUT you should be getting the help of your C.

I hope things get better for you and you are able to find a solution :)

sunshinesparkle said:

Just wondering who made you feel bad about being under target? If you are two pounds under then you are still within target range. The whole point of it is to allow for fluctuations. Its unlikely you will ever be exactly at your exact target weight for the rest of your life and the reason you have the three pounds either side is in recognition of this.

How was your leader generally before this? Have you spoken to them to tell them how you feel? I would try having a word with them about it. They may not be realising you need their support.

Many congrats on your loss - brilliant. I don't think you should be on a downer with SW - they haven't let you down, your consultant has. To be fair, she may not realise that you're feeling adrift & would appreciate more advice and guidance. However, if you have told her & she's still got the same attitude, report her to SW and move to another group if you can.
I don't understand your bit about being told when to come back - surely you can go as often as you like?

I'm not at target but I know my consultant will be there for me 110% when I am :) our group isn't particularly busy (except after new year) but if I want to speak to her I just arrive 10 mins early,i then get her undivided attention before the rush xx

Am not sure that I will EVER be at target but stories like the OP make me cross! Like the lady above, I know my consultant will be there 100% - she is great and has also become a great friend.

Have you thought about a different class? xxxxxxxx

Sorry I can't offer any help about maintaining as I've only just started, but I just wanted to say a massive congratulations, youve done amazingly well, and I hope you get some answers re maintainancexxx

When I got to target, I did find that I carried on losing even having 1 extra HEB each day, over a few weeks it settled down, probably was more flexible in what I ate and gradually the weight started to increase again until I was out of target and had to buckle down again LOL! The general advice is increase your HEB initially, if thats not working, then increase HEA or B. I still try to attend WI most weeks as I can then keep track on how I am doing, I find the longer I leave WI, the more likely I have gained.

My advice...for what it is worth!
I reached target in June 2010. I carried on going to group until December 2010. I did have issues with staying in range (mostly going under) and advice was to increase HexBs and then syns.
I started to feel embarrassed - stopped going to group and look where I am now!

*Dont stop going to group - even if you reduce it to fornightly.
*If you're not getting any support, change groups.
*Act as more of a support to the other members - in turn, you may get more input on strategies that you can use.
*Use the mainitaining thread on here. This didnt exist when I first reached target, I wish it had of been.

*Ultimately - you have done so well. Maintaining is another kind of hard. For some of us, the most important thing to remember is that we will always need to watch our weight.

Good luck!
(and I cant wait to be back at target!)

I also don't feel that sw offers a lot of advice for target members and don't think the advice of increasing hex's is very realistic or helpful in the long term. I am trying to find my way of doing it I think it is very individual and I hope you can find yours x

What else can you do though? Increasing syns would be a far more dangerous idea. Increasing hexs does at least ensure that you are keeping careful control over the increase in intake.

Hi there, I am also a target member since July 11 and I do find it hard to maintain. I bob under the target band quite a few times, ie the 3 lbs allowed plus another. You are allowed a weeks grace to bring yourself back to within 3 lbs of your target weight either plus or minus. I know you shouldnt weigh at home and I never did when losing, but I do now as I need to see how I am doing and if necessary increase hes and syns if I am well under. I dont want to start paying again. I also feel its difficult as I cant seem to change my eating from 100% on plan like when I was losing. I still weigh and measure my hes its a way of life. At least when youre trying to lose you only go one way, but with maintaining I feel I am constantly watching the scales up and down like a cork in a bottle. So youre not on your own when you say you find it difficult, but I dont think S W has let you down really. And I would have a word with your consultant if youre finding it difficult, thats what she is there for.:)

What else can you do though? Increasing syns would be a far more dangerous idea. Increasing hexs does at least ensure that you are keeping careful control over the increase in intake.
Im not sure it would be any more dangerous as I think thats what a lot of people do anyway but as they are not given guidelines for an amount of syns to increase by there is no boundary

*Emsie* said:
Im not sure it would be any more dangerous as I think thats what a lot of people do anyway but as they are not given guidelines for an amount of syns to increase by there is no boundary

A hex b is normally about 6 syns so surely having an extra 6 syns a day / 36 extra a wk would be ok.

The problem is that those few extra syns very often lead to even more syns and before you know it you are watching the SW wagon disappear into the distance. Seen is so many times I really think the HEs are the way to go.

I find I am just eating the same as I did pre target during the week, and having perhaps a few extra syns at the weekend. If I put on too much then I just rein it back. Sometimes though I find that I am below the target range so have a few more syns during the week too. And yes I sometimes increase my porridge, love that. We all have to try trial and error to see what works best for us but it is a fine balancing act. I suppose everyone is different and all our bodies work in a different way.

Back