Feeling really bad about myself now! Is it as bad as GP said?

Discussion in 'Orlistat (Xenical)' started by vicky_77, 10 November 2010 Social URL.

1. vicky_77

vicky_77 Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(7.81%)
    Diet:
    Xenical, Low fat Diet with light exercise.
    Hello

I had my appointment with the nurse practinioner this morning. She is very anti Xenical and kept asking me why i would want to pump myself full of chemicals, the side effects are horendous i will leak diahorea and it stinks etc etc. She said i should change the way i think about food and avoid the tablets.

I stayed strong and said i would like to try them and she did prescribe me a months supply with a appointment to go back in Dec for a monthly weigh in.

Just feel a bit deflated now though. She clearly didnt approve :( She didnt even tell me how to take them or about the 5gram / 15 gram rule etc .... Might be why her other patients had trouble taking them.

Soooooo i have my lil blue pills. I havent had anything to eat today so should i start taking them this dinnertime or wait until tomorrow?

I am scared now i am going to be really ill or something :eek:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. yumymumywanabe

yumymumywanabe Fat be-gone

Start Weight:
    21st11lb
    Current Weight:
    20st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(3.93%)
    Diet:
    5:2 & CC
    your not going to be really ill hun.. not at all (unless you eat out the 5g rule) she shouldnt have said those things to you its out of order.. seemed like she was trying to scare you into not using them.. discusting!!

your right about the fact if she hadnt been telling people how to use them thats why they have been getting the oily diahorea..

its up to you when you want to start taking them hun.. the sooner the better as it takes a few days to a week for them to really start working

good luck hun, you'll be fine
    xx

4. vicky_77

vicky_77 Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(7.81%)
    Diet:
    Thank you. I just feel a bit deflated. It was only because the GP suggested them to me as i had not heard of them before.

5. devotchka

devotchka Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    15st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.18%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hallo, sorry to hear you're feeling low.
    I can understand the point that your GP is making. I generally think doing things naturally is best, but if they're working for you and you're happy, that's fine.
    I don't want to preach at all, but once you've got down to a manageable weight, it might be a good idea to start on a healthy eating plan, that helps you to lose weight, because (although I don't have much experience with diet pills), I would assume you can't take them forever, and they are not the ideal.

Hope you feel better soon xx

6. vicky_77

vicky_77 Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(7.81%)
    Diet:
    That is what i plan to do. I would like to use the pills for a while whilst i am learning about make better food choices and healthier eating. At the end of the day i have to unteach myself all the bad habits that i have.

7. downsizeme

downsizeme Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st1lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11.5lb(14.06%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I do kind of agree with the the nurse. The pills are not the best way to lose weight, they are one of the last resorts for people who have tired and failed time and time again (like me!) and need the motivation that these pills give via the really nasty said effects.

One GP in my practise won't prescibe them as he said that most people using them will lose weight but within 18 months of stopping the tablets will start piling the weight back on and more. The gp who prescribed them for me has a more relaxed view and offered them to me when I asked for help losing weight, didn't think to ask for them myself, am VERY glad I saw her about it and not the other dr. I can see the gp's point about people piling on the weight and more as I had two weeks of the tablets and saw it as a free rein stuff everything in to my face!

You have to do what feels right for you. I hope when you next have an appointment you can show the nurse that you have made really good progress and can say you haven't had any side effects!

8. vicky_77

vicky_77 Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(7.81%)
    Diet:
    I am going to take the pills as a incentive to make sure i stick to a low fat healthy diet for a while but will also work hard to start exercising and re-teach myself good eating choices for the long run.

Thank you all X

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.