Feeling Sad :(

Me and my hubby paid for everything for our wedding (even though my dad gave us a chunk as a wedding present after, we weren't expecting it!) I had my wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses made by my nan (ex-dressmaker) so all it cost was the cost of the material, we made our own wedding cake, and only bought flowers for the bridal party, not all of the guests. We had the wedding we wanted and how we wanted it. As people have pointed out, there are lots of little ways to save money, without people even knowing. And you are getting married because you love each other, and that's the most important thing! Good luck with it all! :)

A wedding can be amazing on a low budget. We got creative and did everything on £1400 including the rings. We had 160 guests and it was hard work, but I think we loved it more for all the work we put in! It was more magical than I could have imagined it would be, yours will be too.

Just ignore the other wedding and think about your relationship and what you want to reflect on the day. The music and the readings and the people you can involve will be what make it.

I had a cousin get married a year after my wedding, and they spent £30K and it wasn't a patch on ours, because they had focused so much on the details, gettign the perfect menus and flowers and miss out on the energy and emotion.

My friends filled the church with lavendar that we collected on the morning of the wedding from our own gardens and one of my uncles sang for us and I love cooking, so did all the food myself and it was all so simple and so fantastic, and people commented that they'd never been to a wedding where everyone was smiling so much. Get creative, make it your own love it :)

I absolutely agree with this.

The best weddings are the ones which are done with love and not money. xx

My wedding was organised in 4 weeks.. I didn't even know my own sisters were coming until the night before and it was done in the local community centre with no music! But you know what! It was the best wedding ever! There was no fakeness, everyone knew everyone and most importantly, the people who were there were GENUINELY happy for me and my husband.

My friends enjoyed themselves alot, and to be honest i didn't care what the day looked like materialistically. I was getting married to the love of my life and everything else was insignificant.

Enjoy your wedding and be happy for your friend :) and don't worry about what others may think.. Let them compare.. It's human nature to do so x

Just remember that expensive & classy are 2 very different things hun. You don't need to spend a load if money to have a lovely wedding. Also, who wants a classy wedding anyway? All stuffy, everyone on best behaviour & no one having a good time?!
Mine cost £600 as we got married abroad ( this included the flowers, photographer & wedding brekkie for our 20 guests) plus my dress & hubbys suit were £600 between them (& i had a proper first hand wedding dress) I won some Vouchers at work which we used to buy our wedding rings & also to buy 2 bridesmaids dresses from coast.
We then had a party for 120 people when we got home in a local social club (cheap drinks) with a band & food - £1.500 in total for that - which included putting my sister & her 4 kids & OH up in a hotel for 3 nights.

Because we got married in Jamaica we had blow up palm trees by the stage, foil palm tree centrepieces ( whichalot if my mates still have on their mantlepieces) & paper umbrellas on the tables, with ballons in the jamaican flag colours attached to the centrepieces. We covered the food tables in beach scenery & sand :) I got paper tablecloths from the pound shop & No one noticed cos the band was great, the drinks were flowing, and people were having a great time.

Invest in a small number of important things & do the rest on the cheap!!! Have a decent wine for the toast, and then cheap stuff - no one expects it to be decent anyway!

My fiancee and i are getting married next year, which i am totally over the moon about, but we are on a very strict budget. Now 2 of our friends got engaged last night and plan to get married next august/september. She's asked me what date i'm getting married on so it doesn't clash, which is nice, but i know my wedding is going to be compared to hers, we have the same circle of friends, and both of them have parents who are able to pay for the wedding. She is the only daughter, as am i, but my dad isn't around so wont pay for anything, my mum can't afford to substantially contribute and my OH's parents are just a waste of time! I'm just feeling really sad that her wedding is going to be so much classier than mine and i'm feeling really sad about it cos we've been working so hard to organise it and now it all seems pointless, we should have just got married in the week just the 2 of us like i first suggested :(

I understand exactly how you feel.

Your day will be special and all the more so because you will have done it all yourselves..............just a thought ( tongue in cheek ) suggest a double wedding lol !!!!!

Tinksie.... Im also getting married next year and this is also going to be on a budget, my cousin as also just told me that he plans to propose to his girlfriend in a few weeks and the engajement ring as cost him more than our wedding will cost us. To me a wedding isnt about how much money you throw at it or how spectacular it is, its about the 2 of you and that fact that your going to spend the rest of your lives togeather.... Enjoy it... I know I cant wait for my budget wedding day

I love this...........you sound a lovely, feet on the ground, thoroughly nice person.

Thanks Sue, I like to think I am...

Morning all, have just been reading through and you're all so positive and have some great ideas! I can go back to loving my wedding and our plans and looking forward to it all over again and having my little panic moments! Thanks! xx

I would have married my husband in the garage I for one dont think it matters the size cost etc of a wedding its what you mean to each other not the cost of paying for a party for everyone else IMO.Make the day yours be happy and everyone will will join in your celebration.

Personally I think some people go way over the top for weddings and Im sure your will be very beautiful.:D

Thanks peggypig :) I am happy with how my wedding plans are going, i'm not having anything formal and it's what WE want, i'd have married him the day after we met if i could have! He is my world and i love him with ALL of my heart and i couldn't find any man more perfect x

Personally I think some people go way over the top for weddings and Im sure your will be very beautiful.:D
Could not agree with you more.

Yesterday I heard of one wedding in the U.K. where 2 golden eagles flew in with the wedding rings...............bl00dy barmy !!! Totally unnecessary and in my opinion, that along with so many other wedding day gimmicks, cheapen the meaning of the service and the whole point of being "joined in Holy matrimony in the eyes of God" not in the eyes of 2 golden eagles or a hundred doves.

You will have a wonderful day.

Oh does that mean i need to cancel the 2 diamond white unicorns? Will people think they are too gimmicky!?

Seriously, rings flew in by golden eagles! How outrageous

Talking of wedding rings, I think they were our most extravagant things. My hubby had an old gold fob watch, which no longer worked (left to him in a will) so we had that melted down and made our rings from it, but being handmade, and then hallmarked was pretty pricey, but because we'd saved elsewhere, we thought "why not?" plus the only fingers they've been on, are ours! :) Also, cos my engagement ring is old gold, we wanted that to match too.

I asked him last night how much we'd paid and how much they were worth, I nearly fell over in shock! Ha ha!!

I actually sold my old gold to get the money for our rings too :)

Seriously, rings flew in by golden eagles! How outrageous

Seriously !!!! and on the back of the "success" of this particularly over the top,Hollywood staged ,wedding the venue is fully booked for months to come.
Sad isn't it??

Yours will be stunning and so will you ,and will have the true meaning of a loving union !!! Not some freak show.

Pity the ones who go into massive debt for their weddings or even worse their parents take out loans to pay for the wedding.

Believe me.

I am old. I know these things

One of my cousins had a ridiculously extravagent wedding, they hired a Haiwaiian island he had a celebrity photographer and bought his wife a helicopter. They were divorced 16 months later. The wedding is not what it's about.

I loved my wedding day, every little detail was just so perfect for us, and I thought people might be critical of where we'd cut corners, but nobody was, at all. we loved it. And we only really got one decent photo, but you only really need one decent photo! It's just a gateway into a happy life together, so if you focus on what comes after, i think you'll enjoy it a lot more.

I now LOVE weddings, and have helped many friends get creative to save money and make thier day fab, it's just a magical feeling, and it really should symbolise the love that you have for one another, which is hard when you are trying to be something or someone that you are not, as many people seem to try to do these days.

One of my cousins had a ridiculously extravagent wedding, they hired a Haiwaiian island he had a celebrity photographer and bought his wife a helicopter. They were divorced 16 months later. The wedding is not what it's about.

I loved my wedding day, every little detail was just so perfect for us, and I thought people might be critical of where we'd cut corners, but nobody was, at all. we loved it. And we only really got one decent photo, but you only really need one decent photo! It's just a gateway into a happy life together, so if you focus on what comes after, i think you'll enjoy it a lot more.

I now LOVE weddings, and have helped many friends get creative to save money and make thier day fab, it's just a magical feeling, and it really should symbolise the love that you have for one another, which is hard when you are trying to be something or someone that you are not, as many people seem to try to do these days.

Gosh what a rich cousin !!!
You are so right in all you say.

I got married 2 years ago & ours cost around £1500. (my anniversary 26th).

I got my wedding dress from the Oxfam wedding dress shop, wedding boutiques donate dresses that are end of season etc but a lot less in price.

My bridesmaids dresses were £30 each from Monsoon (the sale) just 2 straight plain gold dresses.

My H suit was bought for about £100.

My friend did flowers as a wedding present

We had a registry office followed by a party at the cricket club (£50 to hire room). We had a punch (vodka/oj & can't remember what else was in it) for the wedding toast. The cake was from asda & iced by my sister). The food we did ourselves, as it was June it was hot so had salad, chicken, quiche etc etc We didn't hire a band but had our music play from our ipod through the speakers in the room, everyone still got up & danced etc. We decorated the room with balloons/banners etc. We didn't bother with favours but I think you can get some mint sweets with your names on it or something for quite cheap.

Everyone that went said it was the best wedding they had ever been to, it wasn't all formal & we played it by ear as to when to cut the cake/speeches etc.

It was such a fab day and absolutely everyone loved it.

Money isn't everything, it's what you make it. We went to a wedding a few months after & they paid like £50 per head and it was no better than ours!!

So go enjoy it hun and never mind the budget/other wedding it will not compare!

Back