Fermented black beans

clairej03

Can anyone help? I bought the new Asian cookbook this week (which has some amazing recipes in) and wanted to cook the beef in black bean tonight. Went to Asda but cannot find fermented black beans anywhere, looked in Chinese section and with the tinned beans. From googling I think they are dried and come in a packet as opposed to a Tin.
I don't have an Asian or Chinese supermarket in my town so that's a no-go, so does anyone know where I can get them or if the recipe will suffer without them??

Hi Claire.
I also couldn't find the fermented black beans, here is my version of that recipe using a ready made black bean sauce,(on special offer in Sainsbury's) slightly higher syns but O so good!
Pete

Pete’s Black Bean Stir-fry (2013)

Serves 2
Ingredients
½ Pepper, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Onion, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Spring onion, sliced into rings (s) (sff)
1 Carrot, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Portion of egg noodles (ff)
2 Garlic cloves, finely sliced (sff)
2cm Cube of ginger, finely sliced
75g Snap peas, finely sliced (ff)
195g Sharwood’s dark bean sauce (6.5 syn /2= 3.25 syn per person)
250g Lean Beef, sliced into fingers (ff)

Method

Soak the noodles in a bowl of boiling water, leave to soak for 2 mins, drain & set aside.
In a hot wok, sprayed with frylight, cook the beef for about 4 mins until it’s browned, add the onion, pepper, carrot, garlic, ginger & snap peas, mix well, cook for about 4 mins until hot.
Add the complete jar of black bean sauce blend with the other ingredients; add the noodles, mix and plate up, decorate with the spring onion.
Black Bean Stir-fry (Small).JPG

Attachments

• Lemon Chicken (Small).JPG
    Lemon Chicken (Small).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 155
Please ignore the thumbnail picture above! that's lemon chicken........

Back